The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 AM

Default Ring or Pinkie finger for flatpicking??

I'm trying to learn to flatpick and I have found a LOT of fiddle tunes tabbed for guitar, that I'm practicing with. When you're doing a 2nd to 4th fret run over multiple strings, which finger would you recommend using for that stretch, the ring finger or the pinkie? The pinkie seems easier, "feel-wise" to me but is it recommended to use it? This may be a dumb question, but I would like the opinions of you experienced flatpickers.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Just my opinion:

Become proficient at both options, go with whichever works best in each unique situation, which may vary depending on where your hands are coming from and where they are going to.

Also, if pinkie works best in open position, don't be surprised if it is easier to use your ring finger when you are capo'd up "X" number of frets.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:14 PM

I flat pick with a pick only. (Pick and fingers then it becomes hybrid picking).

Whatever finger/s feel best would be my suggestion.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I flat pick with a pick only. (Pick and fingers then it becomes hybrid picking).

Whatever finger/s feel best would be my suggestion.

Good luck!
I guess I should’ve been more specific about it being my left hand ring or pinkie fingers. If I tried using multiple fingers on my pick hand, I’d be lost for sure.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I guess I should’ve been more specific about it being my left hand ring or pinkie fingers. If I tried using multiple fingers on my pick hand, I’d be lost for sure.
Actually you were quite clear because you said ‘going from 2nd to 4th Fret...’

While I can’t hold a flatpick (seriously), I do a lot of stretch fretting using my pinky instead of my ring finger.

I believe it’s mainly because of using a slide on my ring finger so much, that I’ve gotten used to NOT using my ring finger even when not playing a bottleneck piece.

If it doesn’t impede other things you’re trying to play, it’s good.

How many players have you seen that DON’T even use their pinky?

Howard Emerson
Old 06-24-2019, 04:10 PM

As @ceciltguitar said, become proficient at both. There are just some things that require use of the pinky, so I say just learn to use it. Using it will strengthen it and make if more familiar. Avoiding it (IMO) just puts off the inevitable. And sometimes you might want to use the bass guitar "cheat" using 1 and 4 (with 3 reinforcing pinkie) rather than 1 and 3 and up in 1st or 2nd position can be fast and strong when you need to be. There are going to be times when you'll want/need to stretch far beyond two frets and you'll want a reliable and strong pinky that won't feel like the weak sister in the group when it comes time to use it with no alternative.

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-24-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

I tried using my first finger and pinky playing 2 and 4 frets this afternoon while I was practicing. It just seems silly. Just use your first and ring fingers. If it feels like a stretch, that's more of a reason to get used to it. What are you going to do when you have to go 2,4, 5?
Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM

It’s tough, but this flatpicking journey has been one of my favorite things I’ve ever done on guitar. Thanks for the advice!!

Old 06-24-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I tried using my first finger and pinky playing 2 and 4 frets this afternoon while I was practicing. It just seems silly.
It can seem "silly" to a guitar player. I would have thought so too not too long ago. I never thought of using the 1-4 combination before, but the last couple years I've been trying to also build some serious bass chops and 1-4 is de rigeur for bass players. In fact if you see a bass player using 1-3 anywhere near the nut the serious bass player will think to himself "Oh... there's a guitar player trying to play bass" . So while you're right, it is not a natural or normal thing to do for guitar players, sometimes the bass cheat is helpful. Learning multiple approaches can at times be helpful.

BTW... Just for the record..I'm working on a bluegrass "ditty" myself (one of Tony Polacastro's demo licks) and while I have tried the 1-4 thing... and 1-3, while it works I prefer to stay "classical and use 2-4.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-24-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
It can seem "silly" to a guitar player. I would have thought so too not too long ago. I never thought of using the 1-4 combination before, but the last couple years I've been trying to also build some serious bass chops and 1-4 is de rigeur for bass players. In fact if you see a bass player using 1-3 anywhere near the nut the serious bass player will think to himself "Oh... there's a guitar player trying to play bass" . So while you're right, it is not a natural or normal thing to do for guitar players, sometimes the bass cheat is helpful. Learning multiple approaches can at times be helpful.

BTW... Just for the record..I'm working on a bluegrass "ditty" myself (one of Tony Polacastro's demo licks) and while I have tried the 1-4 thing... and 1-3, while it works I prefer to stay "classical and use 2-4.
Tony’s version of Big Sandy River is one of the songs I work on daily.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:57 PM

Here's Bryan Sutton's take on the subject: if you want to develop strength in your fretting hand (and flatpicking is about strength), try to stick to the concept of "four fingers accessing four frets." Of course sometimes it's necessary to stray from that rule, but the basic tenet is: first finger goes on first fret, second finger goes on second fret and so on. Use your pinky as much as possible, because you will develop strength that many guitar players never develop because they took the easy route (ring finger fretting in places where the pinky should be used).

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write