The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
You are absolutely correct and there are many female members of the AGF. The title of the thread has been changed to make it more inclusive.

As I have said my significant other may not know all my guitars, but she is 100% invested in my hobby and has embraced my love for guitars.
Thanks Tom for changing the title for me. Not being a native english speaker, I didn't even know the expression "significant other".

I am sorry if people have been offended by this thread.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-18-2019, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Wouldn't know a Les Paul from a Hauser.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:11 AM

She knows enough to tell me she like the tone of one of my Martins more than my Gibson

Best,
PJ
Old 11-18-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
She knows enough to tell me she like the tone of one of my Martins more than my Gibson

Best,
PJ
Interesting, My wife says she likes the tone of my Gibson over the Martin.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Thanks Tom for changing the title for me. Not being a native english speaker, I didn't even know the expression "significant other".

I am sorry if people have been offended by this thread.

I certainly wasn't offended, and in turn, I would not be offended if one of the women on here asked if their husbands knew about their guitars. I don't need to be included in every thread.

Have a great day, everybody!
scott
Old 11-18-2019, 09:25 AM

People go out of their way these days to be "offended". I really don't care anymore who I offend. The world has really gone to the dogs.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-18-2019, 09:51 AM

It did not matter to my ex-wife if I bought a new guitar. (She really liked my Gibson Jumbo’s) The only thing she would ask is that I would play and sing “into the Mystic” for her on any new purchase. It was probably around the third time I bought a new guitar and presented my ex with it along with me singing. I think it’s possibly one of the reasons I may be single these days? It wasn’t the guitars but my horrible singing?

Last edited by KEY44; 11-18-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:03 AM

She does - I'm down to two now, so it's easy - the red one and the brown one

She's certainly heard a good deal about both because I endlessly yack about them. I don't know how much of that information actually went in, or was retained. A tiny fraction I expect. Except the price. I'm sure she has a mental speadsheet with the cost of everything I have ever purchased and failed to hide.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
People go out of their way these days to be "offended". I really don't care anymore who I offend. The world has really gone to the dogs.
The world changes. People want to be included and recognized for who and what they are. I get that.
As a man in my mid sixties I like to stay current, understand and recognize current social mores. It’s just too easy to say, I don’t care. I love being part of the world and being an up to date citizen so to speak. It helps me to feel that I’m part of the world as we move forward. Things are always changing and that’s cool with me. YMMV.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
The world changes. People want to be included and recognized for who and what they are. I get that.
As a man in my mid sixties I like to stay current, understand and recognize current social mores. It’s just too easy to say, I don’t care. I love being part of the world and being an up to date citizen so to speak. It helps me to feel that I’m part of the world as we move forward. Things are always changing and that’s cool with me. YMMV.
I don't see it quite that way. I see it as people feel a need to be particularly recognized and if they aren't then they get offended instead of just letting it go or realizing they aren't the "special snowflake" they think they are. It's all part of the "everybody wins" mentality that's nice in theory but life simply isn't that like that in reality.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I don't see it quite that way. I see it as people feel a need to be particularly recognized and if they aren't then they get offended instead of just letting it go or realizing they aren't the "special snowflake" they think they are. It's all part of the "everybody wins" mentality that's nice in theory but life simply isn't that like that in reality.
From my perspective of being a white male in the USA, IMO,we are the ones that have been recognized over all other groups of people and been given that special snowflake status as you call it. My perspective is that others who are claiming their rightful place is being resisted by those who don’t want to let go of their special status.
It causes me no concern to see others who want to be included in things for what they are to be granted that small concession. The moderator here wants to include all members in our conversations, rightfully so IMO and all want to be included so what can there possibly be to gain by denying others this inclusive consideration. Conversely it seems unfair and narrow to think of denying or disagreeing such a request.

Last edited by jschmitz54; 11-18-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
From my perspective of being a white male in the USA, IMO,we are the ones that have been recognized over all other groups of people and been given that special snowflake status as you call it. My perspective is that others who are claiming there rightful place is being resisted by those who don’t want to let go of their special status.
It causes me no concern to see others who want to be included in things for what they are to be granted that small concession. The moderator here wants to include all members in our conversations, rightfully so IMO and all want to be included so what can there possibly be to gain by denying others this inclusive consideration. Conversely it seems unfair and narrow to think of denying or disagreeing such a request.
Well my missus doesn't feel like she's been treated less than a man. She takes whatever she wants out of our bank account and tells me it's non of my business what she spends "her" money on. Not to belabor the point but I don't wake up in the morning identifying as anything other than a 67 year old who's best years are behind him. I can't remember the last time I was offended by anything. Don't think I'm owed anything by anybody. Thankful for what I have in life and not the one bit envious of others who have more. By the way more power to all the women on this forum. Nothing sexier than a good female guitarist IMO. I guess that's not PC to say though...
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]

Last edited by davidd; 11-18-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2019, 11:24 AM

Post #1 is a video titled:

"Does My Wife Know My Guitars
DOES SHE KNOW MY GEAR?"

What's wrong with a cheery video like that? They're not asking "Does my husband know my guitars. Does he know my gear? That can be the topic of another thread if someone would like to start one.

How should a man (or even some women who have a wife) respond to this particular video without referring to their wife or calling her a she?

Is their a politically correct way that a man can give politically correct answers to these questions?

I'm totally confused.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Get off my lawn kid

She knows.......

And if you think your significant other doesn't you're just falling for it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-18-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
From my perspective of being a white male in the USA, IMO,we are the ones that have been recognized over all other groups of people and been given that special snowflake status as you call it. My perspective is that others who are claiming their rightful place is being resisted by those who don’t want to let go of their special status.
It's not the fact they want to be included that bothers me. It's the fact that not specifically including a group/individual always seems to get the "I've been offended" reaction. People need to get over feeling excluded when they haven't been excluded at all, just not specifically called out as included. In this posted video the question was asked and so it ended up being the subject of this post. I'm feeling like this was based upon the video and not any biased views of the OP or I could have taken offense as an unmarried male.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion