The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

And my guitar strings have gone up again to over seven dollars if bought on line!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-12-2019, 08:26 AM

There is a pawn shop in the next town over that has so many sets of golf clubs it takes up about 1/4 of the floor space. I don't understand why newer is always better, but people don't understand why I spend what I do on drums and cymbals either.

Different strokes...literally.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
People are just downright crazy...

I play M-F during the season here in MI. I shoot around and under 80 most days.....Here's what's in my bag:

20 year old Callaway Hawkeye driver (actually have 3 - two 7 degrees and a 6)
8-10 year old Callaway Diablo 3-5-7 wood
10-12 year old Nike 4 hybrid
10 year old Wilson Fat Shaft Deep Red 6-PW
5-6 year old Powerbilt SX wedge set 52-56-60
15 year old Taylor Rossa Daytona putter

All of these clubs were purchased used or at deep discounts new on Ebay. For 529 I could buy all of them twice at what I paid and still have money left over for a bag and shoes!

I haven't bought a golf ball in about 15 years - but have sold enough (thanks to those who leave them behind!) to help pay for my 900.00 yearly membership, which, since I play 140-150 round a year costs me a little over 6 bucks a round!

So, golf does NOT have to be a rich mans game as it's always said......when I divide my output by the hours of enjoyment, it's actually pretty darn cheap!
Obviously for people who are WAY into golf, there are ways to mitigate the costs and bring the per-round cost down quite a lot. I mean, if you're into it enough to join a country club, you have an incentive to play five rounds per day and then you could get the per-round cost way down there. But you'd have to play the same course pretty much all the time, which some would see as a negative. I ski bummed for a couple years as a kid and it was dirt cheap for me because my seasonal lift pass was included in working for the ski-area, I knew all of the shop owners in town and got great deals on used and discontinued gear, waited tables a night and got most of my meals free, etc, etc, etc.

But the cost of the activity for the casual skier or golfer has gotten pretty out of hand. Because if you're paying retail for gear and buying daily lift passes or greens fees, it's wildly more expensive than it used to be. I haven't golfed or gone downhill skiing in decades despite doing a whole lot of both in my youth.

My most recent sports endeavor was about 20 years as a very serious bicyclist. People were shocked, SHOCKED, that I'd spend $3000 on a custom bicycle frame and that's obviously a lot if you're not into it. But once I bought the frame and built it up into a functional bicycle (using parts I already owned), I'd ride nearly for free after that. I'd have to keep good tires and chains on the bike, but other than those relatively small costs, thee were no "user fees" for cycling other than the road taxes I was and am already paying.

Kind of the same with guitars. I just got back into playing a lot a few years ago after 30 years of barely playing at all. And I upgraded my gear and did some buying and selling figuring out what I really liked. But I'm at the point now that I've gotten to with most recent hobbies/activities where I've pretty much figured out what I like and now own a good mix of acoustic and electric gear and the GAS has largely subsided. I never really had GAS except in the early stages when I was still educating myself about the options that were out there. Now I'm pretty much down to the cost of strings with my three electric and one acoustic guitar. I can play as much as I want with no real additional expense. Those are the kinds of activities I've gravitated to for many years now.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:54 PM

Callaway Big Bertha Gold irons.....Bought in mid 90’s, love them. Used for $150
Wilson Pro Staff SW......bought in 1969, $9.00
King Cobra SS driver, bought 15 years ago from a buddy for $75, as he was buying new drivers weekly it seemed!
Oddesey putter...20 years old. Bought it after I saw Annika Sörenstam putt lights out. Used for $30.
Callaway 3 and 5 wood. Steel Head? Used for $25.00 each.

I played golf for a living for 15 years at Ryder Truck Rental. Took customers to Doral, leave on Thursday, come back Sunday afternoon. Took my Playability test twice to become a club pro. Missed the cut by 2 strokes the first time and 4 strokes the second time. Both times the draw gave me a course I hated.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:07 PM

Default Been away from golf for awhile, but, seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
My wife and I were talking the other day about things we'd like to do together once I am retired. She said she could learn to play golf and I could take it back up. We looked online and saw we could get low-end club sets, bag and all, from Dicks Sporting goods for about $150 each. Then she learned about green fees and cart fees for every time we wanted to play a round and she decided we could do something else! LOL.

I love golf, but because the school year is so busy I only play in the summer.

Played my first round yesterday and shot 85, which isn’t terrible for me.

I have really nice clubs, but they’re a few years old and purchased for a third of what they cost new.

Played our fine local muni for $19 walking, of course.

It doesn’t have to be expensive if you’re smart!

Scott
Old 06-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I mean, if you're into it enough to join a country club, you have an incentive to play five rounds per day and then you could get the per-round cost way down there. But you'd have to play the same course pretty much all the time, which some would see as a negative..
Our local Country Club is WAY out of my $$$ range - not going to happen. Many of it's members defected to our municipal course that is actually more challenging. The Country Club has days that you can't play at certain times too, and once I buy the membership at the Muni, yes, I'm locked in, but I can play all the time (except when they host outings) I play between my shifts at the studio every day, and it's only about a mile away.....traveling anywhere else to play would not fit time-wise, so it's great for me. Almost everyone that plays there is a friend (been a member for over 20 years now) So, I guess we have our own little country club....poor man's version!

Old 06-13-2019, 07:53 AM

I tend to keep a set of clubs 10-15 years. Joining a municipal course is a better deal. Most of them run about what it would cost you to play 2x a week for the summer. That still makes it affordable to play another course each week. To keep it fresh play different sets of tees or leave half of your clubs home. One day use only odd numbered clubs and another use only even numbered clubs. From the short tees only 2,3 or 4 clubs. It makes you learn to control your shots and keeps things interesting.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
I love golf, but because the school year is so busy I only play in the summer.

Played my first round yesterday and shot 85, which isn’t terrible for me.

I have really nice clubs, but they’re a few years old and purchased for a third of what they cost new.

Played our fine local muni for $19 walking, of course.

It doesn’t have to be expensive if you’re smart!

Scott
Right, when I was younger I walked almost exclusively until I reached about 56 years of age. Typical round $18-20. Now, as a senior at every course, I can play with cart for mid $30's to low $40's at most reasonable places. I love golf and can only play 2-3 times per month, and here in DFW it gets hot in the summer so do a lot of playing in fall, winter, and spring. Play On!
Old 06-14-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob77036 View Post
And next year there will be a new one, that gets you more/less spin, and 5 more yards, for $545. lol
And that's the great thing about Ebay. My irons were $1000 brand new (not that I paid that) but the next year's model came out and I bought an open box set on Ebay for $200

Same thing for my driver; once the new flavor of the month (next year model) comes in, you can find some very reasonable prices.

I do miss golfing in S. Florida in the summer though; unlimited range balls and golf with lunch for $30-$35
Old 06-14-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Callaway Big Bertha Gold irons.....Bought in mid 90’s, love them. Used for $150
Wilson Pro Staff SW......bought in 1969, $9.00
King Cobra SS driver, bought 15 years ago from a buddy for $75, as he was buying new drivers weekly it seemed!
Oddesey putter...20 years old. Bought it after I saw Annika Sörenstam putt lights out. Used for $30.
Callaway 3 and 5 wood. Steel Head? Used for $25.00 each.

I played golf for a living for 15 years at Ryder Truck Rental. Took customers to Doral, leave on Thursday, come back Sunday afternoon. Took my Playability test twice to become a club pro. Missed the cut by 2 strokes the first time and 4 strokes the second time. Both times the draw gave me a course I hated.
My woods are hand-me-downs from my father, 1966 Macgregor Tourneys. Yes, they are real wood, solid persimmion, not laminated. My irons are 1970 M/T also, they cost me the $15 entry fee for the club tournament where I won them. I'm still putting with a Ping Anser putter that I paid $20 to Karsten Solheim when he visited my club in the late 60s. I have newer clubs, but I am something of a traditionalist. I wore a dress shirt and tie when I played in tournaments, just like Bobby Jones.
et al
Old 06-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
My woods are hand-me-downs from my father, 1966 Macgregor Tourneys. Yes, they are real wood, solid persimmion, not laminated. My irons are 1970 M/T also, they cost me the $15 entry fee for the club tournament where I won them. I'm still putting with a Ping Anser putter that I paid $20 to Karsten Solheim when he visited my club in the late 60s. I have newer clubs, but I am something of a traditionalist. I wore a dress shirt and tie when I played in tournaments, just like Bobby Jones.
That is a cool set of clubs you have. I remember them back in the day. Super that you actually won a set of golf clubs. Question, are the woods the Jack Nicklaus model? I cannot remember but at one time the club he used, the public for sale version, was really worth quite a lot as a collectors item. As an aside, I don't think I could ever play in a shirt and tie, like the old timers, like Bobby and Gene Sarazen, etc. It always intrigued me as how they could play, walk, and not drop from heat exhaustion! Again, great collection of clubs
Old 06-14-2019, 03:57 PM

Seems like a lot of whining about cost the of an activity. It is hardly even a start to what a day in ECU costs.

A quick sucessful open heart procedure cost would cover a 1938 D-18, I'm sure, with money left over to buy strings!

Fog
Old 06-15-2019, 10:22 AM

Golf pays, doesn't cost. Walking and playing a course, or the driving range, one of the best spiritual and physical experiences you can have. Golf courses are meant to be walked, unless you're disabled.
I've noticed in the last 5 years a lot of "golfers" with no concept of golf etiquette, or common courtesy, (like not shouting into your cell phone while I'm contemplating my back swing) polluting the course. Or the jerk who pulls his golf cart up to the tee with rap "music" blasting. Who decided that is appropriate?
Enjoy our Nation's Open this weekend.......
Old 06-16-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

I've played golf off and on since I was 12 years old... still love it; The Grand Green Game!

I've always been pretty good at it, too... something I took for granted when I was 14 and a scratch player... I remember the old guys at the Country Club telling me they'd back me if I wanted to turn pro...

But that was 1966 in Southern California and there was a LOT of other stuff going on that felt far more compelling than playing golf... so I walked away from the game.

In 1988, some good friends of mine were yakking about going out to play golf; I made the mistake of shooting off my mouth, saying "You know, I used to be pretty good at that game..."... next thing I knew, they had borrowed clubs and shoes for me to use, so went out on the course with them...

Couldn't believe what had happened to golf clubs since I left the game, but I had a gas! Shot 88 or something, but was bitten by the game, again, big time! All this transpired in a period where I had a modest inheritance from my Grandma, so I began to make up for all those lost years...

Took me about 5 years until I was breaking 70 again, and I began to consider the Senior Tour (now the Champion's Tour)... started working at that goal and was waylaid by a serious car accident. After that, a "little low back trouble" became a major issue to overcome, just to get out and play once a week.

Now, at 68, I don't play much, but I still love it, still remember playing well and finding ways to get the ball in the hole!

There are ALWAYS ways to offset the costs of the game, if you really want to play.

I still play a set of Macgregor VIP irons that I got while caddying at the Cypress Point Club, still have the Callaway fairways woods and hybrid that a Callaway sales tech got for me... still use my little Bulls-Eye putter...

Very similar to playing/buying a guitar, in so many regards... at first, you don't even know enough to know what you want or prefer... then you get some experience and some likes and dislikes and you refine your tastes, again and again, until you KNOW what you want... then finding them used is no problem.

If you wait a year or so, that $500 driver will be available for $75-$150...

Funniest thing is that the game doesn't give a darn about the clubs you play, or how you look or how you swing... it only cares about HOW MANY STROKES it took you to get around...

Kinda like that whole "a great player can make a crap guitar sound terrific..." thing...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
Question, are the woods the Jack Nicklaus model? I cannot remember but at one time the club he used, the public for sale version, was really worth quite a lot as a collectors item. As an aside, I don't think I could ever play in a shirt and tie, like the old timers, like Bobby and Gene Sarazen, etc. It always intrigued me as how they could play, walk, and not drop from heat exhaustion! Again, great collection of clubs
Macgregor's Nicklaus signature woods were the Golden Bear, they were a step below the Tourney. I've got a Golden Bear 4 wood. The Ping putter is probably the most valuable, it was one of the first produced, probably made in Karsten's garage.

There were times when Jones could not get a sweat-soaked tie untied and it had to be cut off. It wasn't that hot the few tournaments I "dressed up" to play.
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic