The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-31-2019, 10:15 AM

Default Good source for learning chord inversion, caged, practical theory?

I've been learning a lot of songs on the guitar from youtube mainly but I feel it's time to master CAGED, master some chord inversions for 7th chords and also understand some Music theory (classical Harmony, voicing etc)

Where can I find some useful diagrams for chord inversions (amazon?), caged systems, and perhaps some practical music theory without it being a 900 Page dense book? I just need something to get me going so I can develop a useful practice rutine to master the fretboard
Old 03-31-2019, 11:46 AM

It’s been years ago but I’m pretty sure it was a Homespun video that I purchased and was happy with. I’ll try to dig it up.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:46 AM

Music Theory for the skeptical guitarist is widely recommended here and is very good in my own personal experience. I also like it because he writes so that beginners and players who already know some theory but may not know how to apply it to the guitar can get something out of each lesson. It's a two book series but I believe the second book focuses specifically on the fretboard.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 03-31-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
Music Theory for the skeptical guitarist is widely recommended here and is very good in my own personal experience. I also like it because he writes so that beginners and players who already know some theory but may not know how to apply it to the guitar can get something out of each lesson. It's a two book series but I believe the second book focuses specifically on the fretboard.
Than you for the recommendation: I believe i could just start with Volume 2, I know scales and chord distances and harmony for piano and i understand how distances and intervals work on a guitar, but I haven't learned CAGED completely and still need a good reference for /7th chord inversions some scale exercises ( a system for memorizing scales) and perhaps some harmonic chord progressions. that work with any song.

So i will get volume 2 here
https://www.amazon.com/Music-Princip...y&sr=8-1-fkmr1
Old 03-31-2019, 05:52 PM

Yep that's it! They're great books, and spiral bound which is a huge plus for guitar books haha
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write