The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 09:32 AM

Default Martin or bust?

Newby here that is getting close to retirement, and it has long been my plan to start playing more once I do so.

First a little background...

A few years ago, I had multi-track recordings of mine and my brother's old band (rock/pop) transferred to digital, along with doing the same for a bunch of 4-track cassette basement recordings and have been slowly learning more and more about mixing & mastering. As a part of this I have been picking up my electric guitars more and more, so I feel good about the fact that I will actually start playing a lot more when I retire.

I am NOT someone who is stuck on "big name" guitars, but when it comes to acoustics Martin has always been the guitar to me. I have owned one Martin (my mom's old D12-28 - 1968 I believe) that I sold as I just never played it, wasn't interested in a 12-string, and wanted it to go to someone who would play and appreciate it. I also once owned a 1970’s nylon string Ovation and still own a no-name classical that I simply love the sound of.

Usage will mostly be just sitting and playing it by my self in the basement and doing some home recording.

Buying a new/used D-18 or D-28 is what initially comes to mind. Even though I have the funds to purchase either, I am a bit of a cheap-*** and would really prefer to stay in the $1-2K range. There is also the fact that none of my kids have ever taken up the guitar, so being able to hand down a nice Martin to someone is not in the cards. I think I would have only minor regrets in buying something other than a Martin, so my I’m sure commonly asked question to you guys is what other brands or what lower end Martins should I possibly consider?
Old 03-02-2024, 09:37 AM

Welcome to AGF Bucketfoot.

Forget the name on the headstock, go out to as many guitar stores as possible and play a bunch.

You'll find something you like.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

You may want to make a retirement present to yourself of a good Martin D-28 or maybe an HD-28 (which would be my choice). Many times when a player has the Martin sound stuck in his/her head, that's all that going to make a person happy.

But for less money, Blueridge and Eastman do a good job. Also, Alvarez and Yamaha have some very nice guitars in the D-28 style and materials.

Welcome to the AGF!

- Glenn
Old 03-02-2024, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF, Bucketfoot....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-02-2024, 10:05 AM

Not to try and influence your purchasing decisions, but do read through a few of the most recent "loose binding" topics. Informed purchases are the best purchases.

There are a lot of great guitars out there.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:05 AM

I just sold a Martin D18 and I just bought a used Eastman E8D-TC ($800). I still have over $1k left over and the Eastman is a better guitar for my purposes. Also the binding will likely stay on the Eastman as opposed to my D18... no more Martin's for me.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-02-2024, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Splurge and buy yourself a NEW Martin D-18 or D-28 so you’ll be warranted against binding issue that may or may not ever happen. Your kids can then sell whatever and split the money. Make yourself happy.

Ignore the naysayers, I’m gonna keep buying Martins.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
You may want to make a retirement present to yourself of a good Martin D-28 or maybe an HD-28 (which would be my choice). Many times when a player has the Martin sound stuck in his/her head, that's all that going to make a person happy.

But for less money, Blueridge and Eastman do a good job. Also, Alvarez and Yamaha have some very nice guitars in the D-28 style and materials.

Welcome to the AGF!

- Glenn
Glenn said it. I think first impressions are pretty powerful. My first truck was a Ford, I’ve had three other trucks and they were all Ford.
My first Jeep was actually a 20 year old Toyota land cruiser- My daily driver is a 20 year old 4Runner (new cruisers are so nice!).
My first guitar was a 12 string martin copy by Takamine.
If given the choice to keep oneit would be one of my Martins.only 2? probably two Martins.

One thing I’ve learned is that I like the sound of a broken in guitar. new guitars are tight and need to be played a lot to get it, and I don’t have patience for that.
I wouldn’t buy a newer Martin post 2010, but a D-28 would be sweet. Or a D-41 if you want it out and to catch your eye in the light.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:25 AM

My 2 cents worth.
Look at getting a used guitar like an Eastman and see where the music takes you.
Then if you find that you are going to stay with it, you can sell the used guitar for very close to what you paid for it.
Now you can shop around for that Martin that you still want.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:29 AM

Welcome to the forum. There is something special about getting your hands on the right Martin. That said, make a trip to a music store or three and try some guitars. You never know what’s gonna click.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 03-02-2024, 11:44 AM

I bought a Martin D28 last summer. I was set on owning a Martin guitar and I was pretty set on it being a D28. I played a variety of them and it solidified my decision on the model that I liked the best (D28). I do not regret my decision. Sure, there may be better guitars and there may be other brands to consider, but I wanted what I wanted and I'm glad that I am lucky enough to be able to own it.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum.

Blueridge, Recording King, and Eastman all make nice D28 copies that $1-2K range, but none of them truly sound like a Martin. Even going to high-end builders, like Collings, SCGC, and Bourgeois, may not scratch that Martin itch. I have owned all of those brands and more, but I am happiest with the used '04 D18GE I bought a few years ago.

If I were you, I'd go play some D28s and rosewood dreadnaughts by other builders. If you bring home a Martin, maybe one of your grandkids will inherit it one day.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:14 PM
Runaway Tomato

All of the above posts are sage advice - so I’ll just pop in to say welcome to the AGF!
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-02-2024, 12:26 PM

I always laugh when someone says a specific brand or guitar doesn't sound like a Martin. So what are we taking about? A D18, D28, HD28, 000, 00, OM? Sitka, Adi, Rosewood, Mahogany, V neck, the modern wimpy skinny necks, ebony fretboard and bridge versus rosewood? There are so many variables. The D18 I recently sold didn't sound anything like my 1990 D16M even though they have the same basic bones and construction. Both Sitka/Mahogany Dreads. Both forward shifted scalloped braced. Both set neck w/ nitro finish. They didn't sound remotely alike. Both Martin Dreads though. So which one did or did not sound like a Martin, or did they both sound like a Martin even though they didn't sound the same?
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-02-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucketfoot View Post
Newby here that is getting close to retirement, and it has long been my plan to start playing more once I do so.

(snipped)
Buying a new/used D-18 or D-28 is what initially comes to mind. Even though I have the funds to purchase either, I am a bit of a cheap-*** and would really prefer to stay in the $1-2K range.
Hi Bucketfoot, make sure you have adequate time and experience playing a dreadnaught like D18/D28. They are quite large under the arm and so many other guitar styles to consider. Nothing against dreads or Martin, but I find a dread to be a big body. My Lowden L32p is so big I have to play it standing usually. Hebnce, I don't play it much.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion