The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2024, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Custom Shop wait time for Grand Jumbo 28

I ordered my Grand Jumbo in December. Mark@Renos finally got an ETA on it;

December!

He thinks the Grand Jumbo shape is scaring them off. He told me before that they have been beating the estimates, so I sure hope so.

Anyway, it will give me more time to play my D-16 Special before I have to sell it to make room.

Tom Petty said it all ''The waiting is the hardest part''!

Last edited by lowrider; 03-08-2024 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

over the years, I’ve had 2 Grand Jumbo J35e.
It’s a great, great guitar. I think you will be really pleased.
Worth waiting I think.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that’s 12 months. Sorry to hear that. When I placed my custom order with Mark last month he estimated 10 months but possibly less. I haven’t yet received my formal ETA which he said would take 4-6 weeks.

Hopefully yours will come in sooner.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I ordered my Grand Jumbo in December. Mark@Renos finally got an ETA on it;

December!

He thinks the Grand Jumbo shape is scaring them off. He told me before that they have been beating the estimates, so I sure hope so.

Anyway, it will give me more time to play my D-16 Special before I have to sell it to make room.

Tom Petty said it all ''The waiting is the hardest part''!
If I ever bought another new Martin, that would be my same choice! I'd also request them to leave off that dreadnought style pick guard! I've only played one, a D35 Grand Jumbo... The tone was quite impressive, but the simpler look of a '28 appeals far more to me, with "bone", of course! Besides, as Wm. Shakespeare once wrote, "Waiting makes the heart grow fonder...", You'll have more time to appreciate what you'll have, at least, I hope so?

I can't help but wonder if Martin has the wood on hand to build those 28 jumbos? Wide enough stock for backs, to build the model might be the problem? A year long wait for a factory built guitar seems outrageous... Of course, at my age, I don't even buy green bananas! YMMV...

Don
Old 03-09-2024, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Mark really likes the red spruce & GE bracing combo. Did you do that on yours?
Old 03-09-2024, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

I didn't do the red (Adirondack) spruce but I did do Golden Era bracing. The GJ-35 that they made a while ago had sitka and straight bracing. I figured that going to Golden Era I was going to have enough guitar to keep me happy.

I told Mark to put in a note that they could use a three piece back if necessary but he told me the sets have plenty of room to make a 17 inch guitar. And they do make the GJ-16 12 string, so I don't think it will be an issue

So, sure I'm disappointed with the wait, but I think that's about what I was told when I ordered my J-17 WS, five years ago. That one came in early and I was surprised and thrilled when Maury called me to tell me that it was ready. I'm staying optimistic for October or November.

It's going to be a great guitar. Whatever the wait, it's going to be worth it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion