The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Default New Guitar Week Video: Atkin and Preston Thompson

In the process of raising funds for my new (Arrived Monday) Atkin custom build, I’ve listed several guitars for sale. One of of those sales resulted in a trade (oops) which happened to be completed the same week that my Atkin arrived: a Preston Thompson 0000!

About two hours after I opened the case for the first time, I made this video. An unreal new guitar week for me, likely never to be matched. Shew!

Old 03-07-2024, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Chris, both sound/look fantastic, what a haul.
Something special about those Thompson’s, the tone just explodes off the soundboard. Enjoy !
Old 03-07-2024, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
Congratulations Chris, both sound/look fantastic, what a haul.
Something special about those Thompson’s, the tone just explodes off the soundboard. Enjoy !

Appreciate it. Not sure what I can do to top this week. Luckily I don’t feel the need to.

I realize that 25 minute video is not really in the purview of many people, especially since I don’t really have a point to my video haha. But it was fun capturing my own reaction to these two awesome guitars. Cheers
Old 03-07-2024, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I enjoyed your video. And what a couple of very cool guitars! Big Congrats!

- Glenn
Old 03-07-2024, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I enjoyed your video. And what a couple of very cool guitars! Big Congrats!

- Glenn

Thanks. Got to plug in the PT today and the anthem sounds wonderful on it. Very pleased
Old 03-07-2024, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Chris. Those are two exceptional guitars. I have never played a PT but would love to some day. The notes just seemed to jump out of the guitar. The custom order Atkin looks and sounds fantastic.

With these new acquisitions you might to move a couple more - like that Atkin The 19 (wink wink nod nod)

You have excellent taste in guitars.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

I listened to the A/B parts a couple of times, and each time I heard a guitar I thought, “I like that one better,” and then I’d hear the other guitar…. Two exceptional guitars with unique voices.

The PT is similar to the M-38, with a two-piece back, but without the binding on the neck (and a paddle headstock). Maybe an “M-37”—part way between an M-36 and M-38!
Old 03-08-2024, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I listened to the A/B parts a couple of times, and each time I heard a guitar I thought, “I like that one better,” and then I’d hear the other guitar…. Two exceptional guitars with unique voices.

The PT is similar to the M-38, with a two-piece back, but without the binding on the neck (and a paddle headstock). Maybe an “M-37”—part way between an M-36 and M-38!

That’s funny, I actually listened to my own video today in the car and I thought the same thing about the A/B. And yeah, I misspoke about the Martins. Meant to say M38 rather than 36. I can’t believe how comfortable Preston Thompson is to play standing up after giving it some more time over the past few days. I’m really bowled over by the quality of these two things

Thanks for listening!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion