The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Old Gretsch Model 35 archtops

Recently I got a 57 New Yorker and it’s a keeper for me. Just the combo of tone, fast neck and solid build, I can’t see myself parting with it. It’s actually made me look at Gretsch’s other models.

I’ve been eyeing their older Model 35 and also the synchromatic which succeeded it.

I believe the model 35 is a solid carved top, which makes me think it could be a great compliment to my NY.

Any thoughts on these older 30-40s Gretsch? They look like better builds than the later 50s and 60s guitars, but that’s just what I can observe through the inter webs.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:12 AM

I have had a 1937 model 35 Gretsch for about 10 years. I believe it has been refinished at some point as it's not the sunburst finish that I believe they are. I love playing the guitar, it sounds really good! I took off the pickguard which I felt improved the sound and I removed the finish on the neck which was a bit gummy. The neck is stout and the action is very good. I'd say grab one if you can if it's good shape.

https://umgf.com/vintage-gretsch-archtop-t147965.html
Old 09-29-2023, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the thoughts. The one I was watching sold so I’ll just keep a look out. Might go with a Gibson built archtop instead if I can find a deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops