The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-07-2007, 01:10 AM

Question DEERING Six String "Banjo"

I have the opportunity to get one of those DEERING 6-String "Banjos" for an extremely reasonable price, (won't be able to play it B-4 purchasing however), from a guy I've known for some time.
I've never heard one....I'm kind of a traditionalist....but the price is VERY tempting!
Do any of you fine AGF folks have any experience with one of these babies?
Many thanks for any info....
Regards,

'00 814BCE - '00 855BCE - '01 Baby - '05 910CE-L7 - '05 T5-C2 KOA
'57 000-18 Martin - '00 SPJC-16RE Martin
50th. Anniversary Strat.
........(4 Sale)
MACKIE 1202-VLZPro - MACKIE 808M - MACKIE SRM450(s)
CA.BLONDE II - ACOUSTASONIC SFX - ACOUSTASONIC JR's(2)
SHURE SM-58(s) - SHURE SM-86

"If You Can Walk You Can Dance....If You Can Talk You Can Sing"
Old 02-07-2007, 06:16 AM

You know, you might get a lot of interesting feedback on this one! I am very interesting in what you find out! I've picked them up at different shops and they sound nice.
Personally, I would love to try one out--long term. I used to think they were kind of a gimmick, but I think differently since I have seen many pros pull these out on stage.
In Neil Young's Heart of Gold documentary, I was very surprised to see that he uses a 6 string banjo. I swore it was a 5 string on the recordings.
I find myself shying away from a 5 string banjo because of the different playing style I would have to learn. But, these 6 strings might be pretty cool!
Good question!
Fred
Old 02-07-2007, 07:31 AM

I've got a Dean 6-string banjo that I suppose is equivalent in design to the Deering. (Deering's prices are 5 to 6 times that of Dean and while their stuff may be the best there is, the price does limit who can afford Deering.)
I like the banjo sound for some songs that I previously did on guitar and it plays more or less like a guitar. But on the down side there are two big differences from guitars:
if you use a playing style that involves strumming across (rather than finger-picking), you'll need to move your strumming spot up the neck away from the body to prevent wearing a hole in the body (or you'll have to make sure your hand/pick doesn't strike the body on each down stroke). Since the body is covered by a membrane under tension any break in the surface will be exaggerated quickly as the membrane tears at the weak point.
secondly, it's a lot heavier than most acoustic guitars because of the metal parts. Mine is even heavier than my Strat. Also, the balance is totally different from that of most guitars acoustic or electric again because of the metal parts. If you were to plan to play one for hours on end, be sure to get a well-padded strap.
Hope this helps.
SouthernCelt
Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 AM

i own a deering d6, it is well built it sounds good. it is used often. it is good for certain kinds of musuc. cival war and old time music for a start. gordon www.colerainconsort.org
Old 02-07-2007, 08:11 AM

Don't expect to play bluegrass effectivly on it but it can be useful for many types of music. A metal bridge mute can get a interesting sound as well. A friend has a Deering 6 and as I recall, it's about like the Boston series in appointments.......no tone ring but plenty loud.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments