The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Misi Trio Air

Has anyone tried this? They gave me one for inclusion in my pick up series.

It seems to sound like an Anthem but without the excess weight. I imagine the Element will still impact tone but hopefully less without the other junk.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:42 AM

I am looking forward to a review of that pickup. I like Mi-Si's for the simplicity of not loading my guitar's up with stuff to come loose, rattle, or buzz. Being active I can plug it directly into a mixer and being a UST I can tweak the string balance to my needs (lots of high-E and B for classic rock leads).

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-30-2019, 09:11 AM

I must have missed this thread yesterday. I would be curious to hear how the microphone sounds, especially all the way at the end of the guitar. I feel as though it won't sound as good as the Anthem due to the fact that it will probably have that inside the guitar mic tone, but it's definitely a lot less weight.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

The Anthem is inside too. At least it will not feedback as easily. The Fishman system has the mic on the soundhole and it was feeding back a lot.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I am looking forward to a review of that pickup. I like Mi-Si's for the simplicity of not loading my guitar's up with stuff to come loose, rattle, or buzz. Being active I can plug it directly into a mixer and being a UST I can tweak the string balance to my needs (lots of high-E and B for classic rock leads).

How do you tweak the string balance?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
The Anthem is inside too. At least it will not feedback as easily. The Fishman system has the mic on the soundhole and it was feeding back a lot.
Oh for sure but the Anthem has a different design. I find when a standard mic is placed inside the guitar it just sounds hollow. I kind of hear that in the trio air clips on the Misi website but I am eager to see your video on it.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:50 AM

I tried two versions of this pickup. The MiSi preamp uses a capacitor instead of a battery. So, there is no large 9V battery and the preamp circuit is tiny. The capacitor charges in less than a minute. It's a nifty design. The only downside I found, when I tried it, was headroom. It's a 5.5V design, so it can quack a little. They have their own linearization strategy that is supposed to counteract that. Not sure how it works. Maybe like compression? My biggest issue is that I don't like the element pickup. I tired a custom Mi-Si unit with a K&K, and it was OK. Ultimately, I think a wireless systems provides a better preamp for passive K&K and the battery lasts longer. I think MiSi is a good solution for someone who likes the element and hates all the junk that comes with the LR baggs systems. Their MEMS mic works, but it's not as crisp sounding as the Baggs TruMic because it's inside the body cavity.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I tried two versions of this pickup. The MiSi preamp uses a capacitor instead of a battery. So, there is no large 9V battery and the preamp circuit is tiny. The capacitor charges in less than a minute. It's a nifty design. The only downside I found, when I tried it, was headroom. It's a 5.5V design, so it can quack a little. They have their own linearization strategy that is supposed to counteract that. Not sure how it works. Maybe like compression? My biggest issue is that I don't like the element pickup. I tired a custom Mi-Si unit with a K&K, and it was OK. Ultimately, I think a wireless systems provides a better preamp for passive K&K and the battery lasts longer. I think MiSi is a good solution for someone who likes the element and hates all the junk that comes with the LR baggs systems. Their MEMS mic works, but it's not as crisp sounding as the Baggs TruMic because it's inside the body cavity.
Good point about headroom. One thing I am surprised that Lr Baggs never did was to copy Dtar and provide 18V of power. I remember at one time, the Dtar Wavelength was a pretty loved UST (it was the Baggs Element), because it had so much headroom and didn't quack as much. I too have never loved the tone of the Element on its own. It has an unnatural presence to it that's not appealing. I did just order the Anthem to try again so I will have to contend with the Element but I figure the tru-mic will mask the tone a bit.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

DTAR are supposed to be sending me a wavelength also. Is the UST in that a Baggs element or something else?
Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
DTAR are supposed to be sending me a wavelength also. Is the UST in that a Baggs element or something else?
It's the Baggs Element. They just added the 18V headroom and apparently it makes a big difference. It's neat that companies are starting to send you pickups to try. I would be interested to hear your thoughts one day on the Amulet M or Schatten HFN.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Has anyone tried this? They gave me one for inclusion in my pick up series.

It seems to sound like an Anthem but without the excess weight. I imagine the Element will still impact tone but hopefully less without the other junk.
I will be very interested in the findings from your test on this. Misi came out with Air Trio for ukulele about 2 years ago. I bought a new Kamaka 100th anniversary baritone and asked to have this very new pick up installed. Bottom line.....they could not get an acceptable sound, didn't matter what they did with the blend wheel. It was removed.

Misi is a good company (I have a few of their Trios in other instruments) so hopefully they have ironed out the bugs.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I gotta start doing pickup shootouts. I want some free stuff!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-30-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Please stop the profanity
Old 01-30-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
****, I gotta start doing pickup shootouts. I want some free stuff!
That is not why I do it and it costs me money every time as I often have to get my tech to do the install... I also return the pickup if I end up not using it
Old 01-30-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
That is not why I do it and it costs me money every time as I often have to get my tech to do the install... I also return the pickup if I end up not using it
I never said that, and I was mostly kidding.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 01-30-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I never said that, and I was mostly kidding.
When discussing gear, jokes never go over well lol! All kidding aside, it is really neat to see this many companies following YouTube demos and providing reviewers with gear. I think the biggest benefit for Aaron is that he gets a chance to try everything out there or at least a good chunk of what's out there.

It's funny though, not to derail this thread but last night I was watching various shows that people had recorded of my band over the years. The Amulet M and Lyric stood out as being particularly good. It was a bit disappointing because it made me realize that I am just picky.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification