The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

I have been using the Play Acoustic for about 2 1/2 years, and the TC Helicon Gxt for about 5 years before that. I like the vocal harmonies on the Play Acoustic, but recently had an issue where the guitar output was cutting out intermittently. It took about 10 days to get a return authorization from their shop in Las Vegas, and when I sent the unit in, they "couldn't find anything wrong, cleaned the unit (it was spotless when I sent it in), and they did a firmware update (which I had done way before having an issue with it)." So, pretty much, they did nothing to fix the issue. That said, if it is still acting up when I can test it (we're traveling right now), I will be looking at the Boss VE-8 unit.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspur View Post
I've only had the VE8 for a few weeks but I echo everything you said about it. In fact it was your other thread/review of the Boss ve8 and Bose S1 Pro that gave me the final push and I owe you a thank you for that.

You were absolutely correct that it's a near perfect match for the S1. I think the reverb and guitar effects are upgrades over the S1. Phantom power and an extra aux input also expand the flexibility of this combo. I'm seriously considering picking up a second S1 as the ve8 has L/R XLR outputs that I can run stereo if needed.
You're very welcome! That's what we do here at AGF!! We're considering a second S1 as well.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
If you update the firmware, and it's very east to do, the guitar effects can be changed from global to specific to each preset.
Later edit.... I had it wrong at first but figured it out. Indeed, the guitar effects can be preset-specific. But first, you have to go under SETUP, go to Page 6, and change "GLOBAL GUITAR FX" from ON to OFF. then go to the GUITAR FX Button, change the effects as desired and hit STORE to the chosen Preset. THANKS Guitaurman! That just made my day.

Last edited by Daniel Grenier; 01-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:25 PM

Anyone else compare these two? Or is there another alternative?

Also what about a separate vocal effects pedal and a separate guitar processing/effects pedal? Is that making it more costly for no reason?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Later edit.... I had it wrong at first but figured it out. Indeed, the guitar effects can be preset-specific. But first, you have to go under SETUP, go to Page 6, and change "GLOBAL GUITAR FX" from ON to OFF. then go to the GUITAR FX Button, change the effects as desired and hit STORE to the chosen Preset. THANKS Guitaurman! That just made my day.
Glad to help. One of the cool things about the TC Helicon Play Acoustic is that when they come up with upgrades like this, they allow you to update your existing Play Acoustic firmware rather than trying to sell us a whole new improved unit. I call that Musician Friendly. They're improving their product and giving us those improvements for free!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:44 PM

Good discussion. I use the VE20 and a Body rez into a multi fx pedal. Separate.
VE8 has gotta be good too. The VE20 is bombproof. Really good harmonies and many save locations.

No guitar in..
Old 01-29-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post

Shortfalls? ... no USB recording possible....
A correction on my earlier comment: USB recording is indeed possible with the Play Acoustic. It was all in the Windows 10 set up for me i.e. The Play Acoustic has to be physically enabled in the Sound Control Panel / Recording (right click and enable).

I can now record in both Reaper and Audacity. However, you can only record the global stereo out and cannot assign the guitar to one track and voice to another track, though.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:38 AM

I've been using the Play Acoustic for the past 2-3 years in my acoustic duo and it's worked great and been reliable. I run my guitar through a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ, before sending it into the Play Acoustic. This allows me to make quick/easy EQ adjustments depending on the room we're playing in (otherwise, you would need to edit each preset in the Play Acoustic as there is no "global" EQ settings).

One nitpick is that neither the Switch 3 or Switch 6 accessory have LED lights for each switch. As such, it's not easy (on dark stages) to know if you've switched a specific effect on or off. When I use very subtle effects (like a light chorus or short delay), I find myself having to listen very closely to know if the effect is "on" or "off" (since there is no indicator light on the switch or the LCD screen).

Another unit to consider is the TC Helicon Voicelive 3 (or Voicelive 3 Extreme). Seems like it has everything for guitar and vocals...all in one box (and with lights for every switch). However, if you're concerned with having to deal with a menu-driven system...this is probably not the box for you.

I was hoping TC Helicon would announce a new PLAY Acoustic at NAMM...but they didn't. I think a Play Acoustic "Pro" (maybe just a scaled down Voicelive 3 (fewer effects, stereo outputs, etc.) but focused only on acoustic guitars) would be a nice upgrade. Guess I'll keep waiting.
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 01-29-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post

One nitpick is that neither the Switch 3 or Switch 6 accessory have LED lights for each switch. As such, it's not easy (on dark stages) to know if you've switched a specific effect on or off. When I use very subtle effects (like a light chorus or short delay), I find myself having to listen very closely to know if the effect is "on" or "off" (since there is no indicator light on the switch or the LCD screen).
Agreed. This is a major miss IMHO on the part of TC. Designed by Engineers who did not consider real world use it seems and no desire to fix it. There is a guy on eBay who builds genetic versions of this type of switch bank. I asked if he could build one with indicator lights. The problem as he explained to me is that the type of switch is not designed to be either permanently on or off, it just toggles temporarily. I told him there was likely a very good market for something if he could figure out how to do not too expensively it since it’s a common complaint among TC Play users. That was 3ish months ago and I’ve reached out a couple times to him but... nothing. I’ll ping him again. Maybe if others do the same....? Just do a search and his stuff should come up.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 01-29-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
I've been using the Play Acoustic for the past 2-3 years in my acoustic duo and it's worked great and been reliable. I run my guitar through a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ, before sending it into the Play Acoustic. This allows me to make quick/easy EQ adjustments depending on the room we're playing in (otherwise, you would need to edit each preset in the Play Acoustic as there is no "global" EQ settings).

Another unit to consider is the TC Helicon Voicelive 3 (or Voicelive 3 Extreme). Seems like it has everything for guitar and vocals...all in one box (and with lights for every switch). However, if you're concerned with having to deal with a menu-driven system...this is probably not the box for you.

I was hoping TC Helicon would announce a new PLAY Acoustic at NAMM...but they didn't. I think a Play Acoustic "Pro" (maybe just a scaled down Voicelive 3 (fewer effects, stereo outputs, etc.) but focused only on acoustic guitars) would be a nice upgrade. Guess I'll keep waiting.
I agree with the switch on / off light issue - it's a real PITA. I am (was?) also hoping to see a new product from TCH - the PA has been around for a while now, an upgraded product is well overdue.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification