The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-16-2013, 11:43 AM

So Devan, is your guitar out of case induced hibernation yet? Those of us who followed your build want to know the rest of the story!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I started about half way into the thread, so I'll go back to the beginning here, but thank you Devan for the great photos and play by play. I hope to do something similar in the next year of two. Congrats!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hello, Devan,
I just got onto your fascinating journey while enjoying my morning coffee. Since it's Saturday, I felt justified in going all the way through from beginning to end. First of all, thank you for documenting the whole process, and for your richly detailed narrative. Who among us who has entered into the mysterious arcana of guitar lutherie would not be feeling all those highs and lows of emotion, right along with you? You've touched on the essential inner workings of the craft, and how maddening and joyful it can be, all at once.

Myself, I came away from your story feeling a renewal of inspiration for my own guitar work. I remember well, my first guitar build, fourteen years ago, and what an arduous, mystifying, fascinating, and ultimately triumphant ride it was. My first instrument turned out quite successful, although somewhat crude in some respects, and with a naive (but idealistic!) aesthetic. I gave that guitar to a good friend, and to this day, he still plays it regularly, and even takes it out to gigs and open mic nights.

I am now completing my 80th guitar. I've been full-time at it since early 2008. I expect to keep doing this until I am no longer capable of lifting a chisel. I will tell you: Considering that there are hundreds and hundreds of careful steps involved in successfully constructing a guitar, it is inevitable that hundreds of mistakes will be made along the way, if you stick with it and keep building. I don't care how long you are in it; mistakes WILL happen.

So, you should embrace that inevitability as part of the process, and use every little issue that pops up as a teacher and a guide, and even a pathway to innovation. The more you go through the process, the more you will be able to pre-visualize the results you are looking for, and the more you will be able to anticipate possible breakdowns.
It has been said that PAIN is the CRAFT, entering the apprentice. So be it. But NEVER forget about the joy that comes, when all your efforts, all your blood, sweat, and tears are almost magically transmuted into an object of beauty and desire, and suddenly, music rings out, and every little bit of the struggle is not only worth it, but has given you an odd kind of joyous triumph that you can keep, and share, all the days of your life.

Congratulations, Devan! You are now an ALCHEMIST!

I so enjoyed this thread. I wish you all success, and good fortune in your future endeavors. Be well, and all the best to you!
-Steve

--Gorgeous guitar, by the way. I really like the rosette. No mistake there!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:15 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Any sound clips?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:01 PM

So sorry for not checking back on this thread everyone! I notice there has been some new posts on here which I have been remiss in responding to.

Well, here is an update on the guitar status... I left it in the case for the requisite two weeks before taking it out and playing it.

After a few days of playing, I realised that the frets were just too messed up from my last minute hurried installation. I took the guitar to AGF member Jim S who lives in my town, and we checked it out. Jim was kind enough to do a frequency analysis of my guitar top.

Yes, I have no idea how to read this, but Jim said that the peaks and troughs were in the right places, however the secondary peak which shows the air movement should be a lot higher. I guess that reflects the fact that this guitar is not as punchy, and the sound seems to be contained 'within' the guitar.

After this, I decided to grit my teeth and replace ALL the frets on the guitar. I managed to do this a couple of weeks back, strung the guitar back up and played for a few days, THEN I noticed this...

Yes, the old bridge was starting to lift !!

I took it back to Jim, and we managed to heat the bridge and totally remove it. The problem seemed to be that the bottom of the bridge was dead flat whereas the top had quite a curve to it. This was causing undue stress at the ends and started to pull the bridge off. We sanded a curve into the bottom of the bridge and re-glued it back on.

Oh, and Jim also dressed all of my replaced frets. The guitar is finally at a stage where I can play it every day.

I recorded a short song with it yesterday...

https://soundcloud.com/cyberferret/for-my-father

Thank you again everyone for following this thread, and special thank you to Jim for all his assistance!
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:46 AM

Wow to both the sound of the guitar and the playing!!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Wow to both the sound of the guitar and the playing!!
^^^ +100 here.

Thanks for sharing the ride and kudos to your tenacity. So appreciate your sharing the beautiful playing too.
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 12-07-2013, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, Devan,
The sound clip is an excellent addition to an already inspiring thread. Your playing really sparkles, and the guitar has a great depth of character, and a brilliant clarity to the sound. Well done! Applause!

I have a new friend over here, Tim Shaffer, who is about to embark on his first hands-on guitar making experience. Later today, we're going to get on the Luthiers Mercantile site and put together an "unserviced" kit, which is basically a customized kit of all the woods and parts required to make a top-quality guitar. After it arrives from LMI, we're going to convene in my shop and build Tim's body mold and bending form, and get to work. I'll be coaching Tim all the way through until it's a finished guitar.

I'm sending Tim a link to this thread, because your story is such a great reveal of the whole process; and very importantly, your enthusiasm and great attitude through all the highs and lows of the process, resulting in a great guitar, a ringing success.

I hope you continue with your guitar making. I think you will do great things. And thanks for taking us along on the journey that led to Number One!
-steve
Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 AM

Thank you so much Devon for this thread. I enjoyed it a great deal. It would be the highlight of my life, outside of my family of course, to accomplish what you have accomplished.

I loved the recording you made for your father and I think the finished guitar sounds wonderful.

Good luck with your next build.

2013 Martin D-17M
2013 Alvarez AP860SB
2015 Seagull Entourage Mini-Jumbo
Old 07-20-2014, 09:41 AM

Devan congratulations on making such a beautiful instrument, it really does look and sound magical. Like everyone before me thank you so much for sharing your incredible journey with us, from beginning to end it is both touching and inspiring, I can only hope i get the opportunity to do this some day.

Cheers,
Si
Taylor: GS Mini
Maton: 225
Traveler Guitar: Escape Mark III
Epiphone: 220

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop