The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM

Default 'A position' tutorial

This video covers how the open position A chords can be moved up the fretboard.....thanks for watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS1qe24I0Iw
Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Very informative. I always look forward to seeing your posts and try to learn something from each (sometimes it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but I even amaze my wife at times ). I appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to create these videos.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 AM

HI Maple.......this is an extremely valuable lesson to me and the style I like to play....LOTS of good information here....Thanks for sharing
Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 AM

thanks gentlemen for the kind words.....greatly appreciated!

keep pickin,
dale
Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 AM

I am enjoying the video. I have the basic theory, or practical shape of the
A barre down.. what I am struggling with is the muscle/finger ability. I play an acoustic, on your vid, you are playing an electric guitar. I can make the shapes, that isn't a problem. But doing so cleanly. and getting those strings all down, in place.. whew. One part of the vid that jumps out at me, for some work I need to learn, is the ability to hold down one note, string, barre, etc while moving other fingers around independently. Can you give me a very simple little heads up on that, maybe a one or two sentence exercise.

Thanks for the video..
Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 AM

one thing i practice that seems to help me is practicing hammer ons/pull offs without the 1st finger at all. Forces me to use middle-ring-pinky fingers more independantly. Then when you add the first finger in a bar postion those fingers (in theory) are a bit stronger and more independant.

all the best with your music,
dale

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write