The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
How loud is it? The problem I have with mine, even with a boost pedal is I can't get enough volume. I even tried it through a QSC K-sub and it was lame. It's louder through my Sony Home Surround sound powered 100W sub with a upgraded Pyle 12" speaker in it.

What I found is that the cigar box / piezo ones online in the videos sound very tinny. I like a THUMPFFF type sound. Like a bass drum with a pillow in it.

Any ideas? I need to get this thing loud.
As I said earlier - footbass. Bass drum thud, plenty of volume. The sound of the footbass can, of course, be altered with EQ, but where you strike the pedal, the type of shoes you wear, and pads/fabric/etc. you put on top of it all help you shape the tone. I paid something like $70 used for mine.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 AM

I use the Shadow one. It's OK but expensive and I broke it first outing (repaired with superglue and gaffa tape). The best ones I've heard were home- made by blues players - one was a book with a piezo in it, the other a ply wedge with a vocal mic shoved inside. A couple of locals also add a tambourine, which sounds good.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 06-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Important. Make sure you have the proper sound equipment to support a porch board bass. Some type of PA system works best.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 06-09-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
Important. Make sure you have the proper sound equipment to support a porch board bass. Some type of PA system works best.
So what type of PA system works best with a porchboard bass?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonb View Post
Something that can cleanly handle the low frequencies.

I used my DIY stomp box with a Fender Passport. Not so good.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
From the Porchboard website:

"The Porchboard is designed to produce a tone in the 33-100 HZ range (very low). The 33 HZ (with a strong 99 HZ harmonic) was selected because it offers a strong supportive bass "thump" in any key- similar to a large marching band bass drum. Often the nature of the sound tends to resemble a note when another instrument (such as a guitar) suggests a note.

Excellent results can be obtained by using a quality bass amp, keyboard amp, capable PA system, powered subwoofer (the PorchBoard has adequate output to drive most most line-level inputs without the use of a pre-amp or any amplification system) that can reproduce these low frequencies at adequate levels."

Matt
Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 AM

I wish I knew what was in it. $300 is pretty steep for a piece of particle board with a pickup inside. I realize it looks quality. But you know? $300?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 AM

The unit I was looking at which I saw at the performance is $130. Has a very, very solid bass thump and excellent volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
I wish I knew what was in it. $300 is pretty steep for a piece of particle board with a pickup inside. I realize it looks quality. But you know? $300?
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Well, I'll be getting my used porchboard tonight. But out of curiosity, last night I put a mic inside the molded plastic case for my acoustic guitar and plugged it into a bass amp. With the bass on the amp turned up a bit, it sounded pretty good! Perhaps I may have wasted my money!

At first I was tapping my foot on top of the case, but that quickly grew uncomfortable. But I found out I could also get good (perhaps better) tone tapping on the molded case handle which was much more comfortable because it is lower to the ground.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Give you a tip. Go to a thift store and get a thin brief case and stick a mic in it. It works like charm. This is my cheap goto. Plus you can carry cords in it. Use it as a foot rest and tap your foot.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Well, I'll be getting my used porchboard tonight. But out of curiosity, last night I put a mic inside the molded plastic case for my acoustic guitar and plugged it into a bass amp. With the bass on the amp turned up a bit, it sounded pretty good! Perhaps I may have wasted my money!

At first I was tapping my foot on top of the case, but that quickly grew uncomfortable. But I found out I could also get good (perhaps better) tone tapping on the molded case handle which was much more comfortable because it is lower to the ground.
Well, my porchboard didn't come until last night. It sounds nice. But I hate to say it, my "mic in guitar case" setup doesn't sound much different! They both have a low end bass drum-like thud.

But I will say the porchboard is way more comfortable to play because when your foot is at rest, your heel and toe are at the same level. That is one major reason why I chose the porchboard over similar products.

I'm glad I bought the Porchboard used, because the new price for a Porchboard seems really expensive for what you get. I don't know if they are expensive to make or if they are making huge profits on them.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Electronic parts. $25? Couple jacks, couple pickup elements.

Metal parts. Couple long bolts, nuts, washers, metal piece to cover up the electronics. $10.00

2 pieces of MDF / Fiberboard $20?

Paint $5.00

Cost $300 ??? I realize there's time, boxes for packing, etc.... But most of it is profit.

I'd like to know what's inside this thing, I'd build them and sell them to AGF guys for $75 + shipping
Old 06-14-2011, 03:15 PM

I have an SM57 in a mic bag, run a cord to it, zip it shut, and throw it on the floor near my foot. I can stomp near it and get thud, stomp further away and get tap.
Only works with a carpeted hollow wood stage.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM

This is the sound I'm looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqX7o5X9Wy4

http://www.peterman.com.au/music/ind...product_id=147

Pretty expensive.

Any idea what type of piezo or element these cats are using in these things.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM

I can't say to the quality of any of these but if you're willing to spend $300, might I suggest getting an actual kick drum and mic. You can find the drum used and buy a cheap shure p52 for this price point. Or get something like a kick drum for an electronic drum kit and run that to the PA. It just seems to me that a bass drum stomp box should be a cheap alternative to an actual drum.

Previous Guitars:
2004 Martin (DM) Custom (Dillon)
2010 Martin 000x1ae (Emma Mae)
Takamine EG530SSC (Tammy)
Jasmine S34C (Jasmine)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification