The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 AM

Default (almost?) Impossible chord

Came across this chord in an arrangement of Chopin's prelude no 4 :

little finger on 1st string 7th fret (B)
middle finger on 3rd string 5th fret (c)
first finger on 4th string 4th fret (F#)
and then...ring finger 5th string 7th fret (E)

its the ring finger positioning which is causing the problem. can't finger it without catching on the 4th string.

Try it. Any thoughts?

What other chords have you come across that are so fiendish they make u want to give up on the whole piece?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 AM

I've encountered that shape before...nasty, for sure. Try classical position, but I'd be tempted just to use the low E instead of the seventh fretter...

you could also grab the same note cluster like this: 12 10 9 x 12 x

which is a little less of a stretch in the higher register.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-03-2010, 08:05 AM

I'm not familiar with the piece, but given the times it was written in, I'd guess it was written for a keyboard or a string ensemble. Chopin's Prelude in C Minor Opus 21 is the basis for Could It Be Magic by Barry Manilow which he plays primarily on piano. There are some really hinky chords and chord changes in there that I know I have to drop or change to play it on guitar.

If a piece is written for a keyboard, it's not always easy to translate it to guitar note for note, chord for chord. As my last teacher said, keyboardists have 10 fingers with which to form chords. We (guitarists and bassists) only have 4; maybe 5 if you use your thumb in a wrap-around.

So don't feel badly about it. Sometimes you do have to substitute something that is almost impossible to play on guitar because it was written for a keyboard. This is something I'm learning with reluctance.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Alter it to make it doable. Leave out the lower E or try another position, perhaps X-9-10-9-X-7.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 PM

I'm presuming that it IS playable. piece arranged by Christian Rocheleau. Found it on free scores.com. So presumably he can play it. ?

It's a piece I've always wanted to play ever since hearing Jimmy Page play it, (tho he was only playing melody line on electric). Beautiful haunting tune.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrfinger View Post
I'm presuming that it IS playable. piece arranged by Christian Rocheleau. Found it on free scores.com. So presumably he can play it. ?

It's a piece I've always wanted to play ever since hearing Jimmy Page play it, (tho he was only playing melody line on electric). Beautiful haunting tune.
Not sure it is reasonably playable. The "transcription" is a note for note match for the piano score, at least in the first few measures I looked at. I could not find anything about him as a guitarist or a clip playing the guitar. Most reasonable on this particular piece is playing it in a different key and/or tuning.
For example this example I came across.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1NvS...eature=related

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Thanks Rick, that's very interesting. If the piece as fingered is not playable in its context then it raises questions as to his intentions on posting it/publishing it or whatever.

There's an email on the score. I'll write and maybe update this thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write