The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Build Thread: Mayes MJ-55 Italian Spruce & African Blackwood

I'm very excited to be ordering my 2nd Mayes Acoustic guitar. I currently have a slope shoulder Mayes which is his model SD-43 it was built for me in 2009. It is by far the best sounding guitar I've ever owned or played!! It appears to be getting better and better as it opens up, which 8 months ago I wouldn't have thought possible for this guitar to sound better!!

If you aren't familiar with Mayes guitars John worked and built guitars at Pantheon Guitars with Dana Bourgeois and he also built McPherson guitars from 07-09. www.mayesguitars.com He also builds Bombshell guitars which are electric guitars based on the Les Paul Jr Model and Telecaster Model.

This 2nd build is John's MJ-55 model which is based on a Gibson J-185 from 1955. It is basically a 16" wide lower bought jumbo. I ordered it initially with Italian Spruce and Madagascar Rosewood and I later changed the order to African Blackwood for the back and sides. Here is the run down on the specs.

Model: MJ-55
Top Wood: Italian Spruce
Back and Sides: African Blackwood
Binding body neck and headstock: Curly Koa
Bracing: Adirondack Spruce
Fretboard: Ebony
Bridge: Ebony
Rosette: Abalone
Nut Width: 1 3/4"
Scale Length: 25 1/2"
Pickup: DTAR Wavelength
Tuners: Waverly Gold w/Ebony Buttons

John is starting on my guitar today and I will add pics as I get them.

Here's a shot of the African Blackwood. Note the 1/4 sawn straight grain.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

Last edited by SuperB23; 03-23-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 AM

Default hMM

I will be watching this thread very closely. I have been considering a Mayes build and a Jumbo is on my wish list.... Cannot Wait!!

2004 Martin D41
2006 Guild D40

"The Future of Whistling"......Daniel Duncan
Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu
Default I'm envious!

Bobby,

I've often wondered what my MJ-55 would sound like with Blackwood or a Ger Spruce top ...

It'd be fun to compare the two once yours is done. The MJ is a very nice size - I think you''ll enjoy it. Luck with the build!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 03-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Exciting times Bobby! Tell us a little about Italian spruce... what does it do compared to guitar tops of adirondack or sitka? Can't wait to watch your second Mayes come together.

Congrats
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Italian Spruce is similar to German Spruce, it has kind of a sweet singing feel to the notes. It responds a little better to a softer touch making it better for fingerstyle then Adirondack. It still takes a while to open up from what I've been told. I heard from a few people and John that Italian Spruce is one of the best complimenting tone woods for African Blackwood.

John got his sets of Italian Spruce from the same source that James Olson gets his from. He said he got a bunch of them and he's had them for about 5 years. John told me he just finished up an L-32 with Madagascar Rosewood and Italian Spruce and he said the top woods are amazing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperboy View Post
Exciting times Bobby! Tell us a little about Italian spruce... what does it do compared to guitar tops of adirondack or sitka? Can't wait to watch your second Mayes come together.

Congrats

Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 AM

That is a gorgeous set of Africa Blackwood. Do you know where John picked that up? I'm trying to decide between ABW, Madrose and Cocobolo for a guitar I'm having built right now and that piece makes me drool (though every time I see another nice set of anything...I get a similar response).

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 03-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeastman View Post
That is a gorgeous set of Africa Blackwood. Do you know where John picked that up? I'm trying to decide between ABW, Madrose and Cocobolo for a guitar I'm having built right now and that piece makes me drool (though every time I see another nice set of anything...I get a similar response).
PM sent...............

Old 03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Here are some shots of the sides being bent and worked from John!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Here are some shots of the Italian Spruce being worked.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Looking good, Bobby!

Kindly,
Danny
Old 04-02-2010, 11:30 AM

I got a chance to play Bobby's Mayes SD-43 and all I can say is WOW it was unbelievable!!! It put my Collings CJ to shame. This one is going to be beauty as well it looks like.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

It was fun pickin for sure! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGretsch001 View Post
I got a chance to play Bobby's Mayes SD-43 and all I can say is WOW it was unbelievable!!! It put my Collings CJ to shame. This one is going to be beauty as well it looks like.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM

That wood looks very nice!
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 04-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGretsch001 View Post
Thanks for the nice words!

I've got more pics Bobby I just haven't uploaded them and edited them for you. I'll do that Monday.

Oh and guys I've got a MJ-55 guitar coming up that will be for sale too. It was a spec guitar I built Crazy curly Mahogany and a Lutz Spruce top that I was very excited about tonally while working it. Got a cool dirty burst on it. Give me a couple weeks and I'll post it for sale here and on my site. Of if you want more info hit me up and I can send some pics and info/pricing.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Thanks for the nice words!

I've got more pics Bobby I just haven't uploaded them and edited them for you. I'll do that Monday.

Oh and guys I've got a MJ-55 guitar coming up that will be for sale too. It was a spec guitar I built Crazy curly Mahogany and a Lutz Spruce top that I was very excited about tonally while working it. Got a cool dirty burst on it. Give me a couple weeks and I'll post it for sale here and on my site. Of if you want more info hit me up and I can send some pics and info/pricing.
Don't exist till we see it. POST PICTURES!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop