The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Every internal mic I've ever used requires significant eq to work well with an SBT. Generally, I cut the bass and lower mids quite a bit. Without doing that, an internal mic is pretty useless for my uses.
Hi sdsr...
Your mileage may vary...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 PM

Ah, Thanks for clearing it up. I will go to the Website and investigate further. Since I essentially run my rig as a single source this may very well be the ticket and I will be ordering one next week to try it out. Can't wait! Just sold my U5 because due to travel restrictions It was difficult to take with me on planes etc. This Headway will replace it and hopefully another EQ. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi sven...
No, I don't think I've explained it properly. The EDB-1 is certainly not limited to a UST and external mic - nor probably designed with that primarily in mind. It is so much more flexible.

John Littler from Headway is very aware that it is not designed to blend seamlessly with the way acoustic guitar pros (and just serious players) run our rigs these days. Part of his aim is to have we guitarists rethink the way we amplify the rigs we use.

While I may disagree with some of his specific take on this, it is a bold thing for him to bring to market a rig which does everything it does and in a small, quiet, powerful package, & with more headroom than most other preamps out there and at a very competitive price. And I'm not inclined to just dismiss his ideas out of hand.

Perhaps he is going to be instrumental in developing a better way to amplify these wonderful instruments.

And just to hopefully convey the info a bit more accurately, he has built a flexible, top-notch preamp for single source use as well as multi-source use. In fact the single source could be a either a passive pickup, an active pickup or an external condenser mic.

It is certainly not limited to only using it with a pickup and external mic. It can power internal sources, and dual passive sources via TRS.

The phantom powered XLR input makes it a good option for the small external mics like Doug Young reviewed here recently. And it would be easy to use one of those in combination with an internal pickup or internal mic. The possible configurations are plentiful...

There are already many string bass players, and other orchestral string players employing his novel amplification concepts - some in conjunction with this preamp...here is the link to his site. Some of the most thorough reviews of the EDB-1 I found online were from bassists.

Headway Audio - click

My K&K Pure Western Mini pickups played as a single source through the EDB-1 sounds better than with any of my other preamps, or any other preamp I've ever played it through to date. It is a wonderful single source sound.

I have also messed around with it adding an external condenser mic, and it's the most accurate sounding setup I've used to date through my amp. Fun to play that way too...it was like playing my guitars only bigger. It certainly didn't sound like my guitar coming out of an amp...

I only have one other preamp that even accepts XLR, but it doesn't provide enough phantom to power a condenser mic so I cannot readily compare this feature with my any of my other preamps.

I like having the option to carry a single piece of gear (in the pick drawer) which can operate as a single and/or multiple dual source device - and sound great in so many different ways.

I'm making a prediction...if my internal pickups sound this much better through the EDB-1 (I've tried each of my guitars through it), the internal mic will probably sound better too. It should make an amazing kit...

Hope this helps the discussion without clouding it...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
Ah, Thanks for clearing it up. I will go to the Website and investigate further. Since I essentially run my rig as a single source this may very well be the ticket and I will be ordering one next week to try it out. Can't wait! Just sold my U5 because due to travel restrictions It was difficult to take with me on planes etc. This Headway will replace it and hopefully another EQ. Cheers!
Good luck finding one. the initial production run was only 250 and I have a feeling there was 2 left when I ordered mine.

Jasko
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST
Old 09-17-2009, 02:14 PM

The US Dist. said there were 40-50 units available.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 PM

But that was a week or so ago....
Old 09-17-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
The US Dist. said there were 40-50 units available.
I got one from John in the UK, maybe there are a few more available in the US

Jasko
Blueridge BR-361

Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 PM

what happens after the 1st run?

i'm still seriously considering gettin it! hope the price stays that way till some solution turns up for the trinity!

it's still 1**pounds on the site.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post

i'm still seriously considering gettin it! hope the price stays that way till some solution turns up for the trinity!

Hi Hann...
You can say 199 pounds because the only price rule applies to the prices of guitars (new or used) not to gear here in the forum.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:

They are doing another production run but I think that will take about 6 weeks. Although with all the interest they may push it a little quicker.
I think this price was the introductory price, thats what it says on the Headway Website

Jasko
Blueridge BR-361

Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 PM

man man... should I get it? mmm with this i can prob offload my baggs eh? then the price'll be lower abit... decisions decision!

jask quickly get it and let us know how it is!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Hey Hann,

Ive got one coming, should be here on Mon/Tues next week. I am gonna make the cable that jamison suggested on the weekend, I just have to sit down with the Cutters and the soldering iron

Will post results as soon as I know

Jasko
Blueridge BR-361

Old 09-18-2009, 04:04 AM

actually.. maybe you shouldn't post.. or i shouldn't open this window.. hehe

if i get this i can effectively get rid of my baggs i presume?

but this thing doesn't run on phantom itself.. hmmm
Old 09-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...but this thing doesn't run on phantom itself.. hmmm
Hi hann...
The EDB-1 runs on dual 9 volt batteries for 100 hours (50 with phantom), unless you put lithium batteries in it and then the time doubles to 200 hours or 100 with phantom power. That is a lot of gigging. It also has a battery light which lets one know when it's low and needs to be changed.

None of my amps feed phantom so I don't rely on that anyway. I've worked a lot of sub-standard stages, and can tell you battery power is less prone to line noise, neon light noise, fluorescent light interference, etc. Batteries are reliable and cheap insurance.

I am not ridding myself of my Baggs ParaDI since I do a lot of work with other guitarists - many of whom don't show up for live gigs with proper equipment, so I end up loaning out my ParaDI a lot. It is still going to make an undersaddle equipped guitar sound better with it than just raw plugged into a board, and it works as a great DI box as well.

But yes, you won't need to rely on the Baggs if you pick up a decent preamp of any kind be it an EDB-1, or a DTAR, UltraDI or K&K. They all are going perform the same function for you.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 09-18-2009, 07:28 AM

Plus you don't have to unplug the EDB-1 inbetween sets or anything. Just turn it off with the slider switch. It is a VERY nice unit, I'm surprised it hasn't caught on sooner. Also a side note: it can be mounted to a mic stand, it has a threaded area on the back...and it also comes with a belt clip, but is rather big for that unless you play standing up and slide it over the back pocket of your jeans out of the way or something.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
...It is a VERY nice unit, I'm surprised it hasn't caught on sooner.
Hi jamison...
It hasn't caught on sooner because it's new and they haven't officially rolled it out yet...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification