The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-30-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's the Baggs Element. They just added the 18V headroom and apparently it makes a big difference. It's neat that companies are starting to send you pickups to try. I would be interested to hear your thoughts one day on the Amulet M or Schatten HFN.
Doubling (halving) the power supply voltage is roughly good for +6 (-6) dB. With modern electronics having SNRs plenty good to take you from a quiet room noise floor to absolute pain, a decision to double the power supply voltage, in the absence of anything else, makes little sense.

Given the larger box the DTAR is housed in, and the fact it includes a user settable equalizer, speaks to other changes that might indeed ad value. Quoting the power supply voltage is mostly marketing.

I have studied the Mi-Si PCB fairly carefully and my guess is its charging circuit is that thru hole diode you can easily see (likely a zener to drop the 9 volts to 5.5) and a regular surface mount diode (too keep it from discharging into a TS guitar cable) and maybe a current limiting resistor. There is only one three terminal device on the PCB which I suspect is a single MOSFET. There are plenty of surface mount resistors and capacitors for some very basic equalization. It could be a textbook example of keeping it simple!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-30-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
How do you tweak the string balance?
With paper, thin tape, a file, or using super glue as a paint, you make the saddle bottom slightly less than perfectly flat. Under the high-E of the guitar photographed above are three tiny strips of paper between the high-E and the UST. For the last few dreadnoughts I installed Elements in I found I like them better with three coats of thin super glue on the bottom of the saddle everywhere except under the low-E string. I quit the glue method because it is too time consuming. I would not trust myself with a file (to easy to remove too much material) but Graphtec sells a micro balance saddle if you want to take this to the next level by filing:

http://www.graphtech.com/products/br...4-371cc6eb6e93

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-30-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I never said that, and I was mostly kidding.
Thank you. It’s hard to tell on text sometimes but I want to keep my position clear as well, this is purely a passion/hobby of mine that I want to help others with and use to grow my YouTube channel.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Doubling (halving) the power supply voltage is roughly good for +6 (-6) dB. With modern electronics having SNRs plenty good to take you from a quiet room noise floor to absolute pain, a decision to double the power supply voltage, in the absence of anything else, makes little sense.

Given the larger box the DTAR is housed in, and the fact it includes a user settable equalizer, speaks to other changes that might indeed ad value. Quoting the power supply voltage is mostly marketing.

I have studied the Mi-Si PCB fairly carefully and my guess is its charging circuit is that thru hole diode you can easily see (likely a zener to drop the 9 volts to 5.5) and a regular surface mount diode (too keep it from discharging into a TS guitar cable) and maybe a current limiting resistor. There is only one three terminal device on the PCB which I suspect is a single MOSFET. There are plenty of surface mount resistors and capacitors for some very basic equalization. It could be a textbook example of keeping it simple!
I don’t pretend to know a lot about electronics but I just remember reading that 18V improvement a lot and not just from Dtar. I know with effects pedals, using 18V over 9V (if the pedal can handle it), does indeed create headroom. The wavelength just had less overall quack. I would have thought that the 18Vs was contributing to that.

https://youtu.be/nFcd55jF4GY
Old 01-30-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
When discussing gear, jokes never go over well lol!
Joke or not, it isn't what I was implying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Thank you. It’s hard to tell on text sometimes but I want to keep my position clear as well, this is purely a passion/hobby of mine that I want to help others with and use to grow my YouTube channel.
It's dope how you take the time to do the reviews. It definitely gives folks an idea of what these pickups sound like. There are so many pickups out there that I'd love to at least try, but the installs could get expensive pretty quickly.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 01-30-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
When discussing gear, jokes never go over well lol! All kidding aside, it is really neat to see this many companies following YouTube demos and providing reviewers with gear. I think the biggest benefit for Aaron is that he gets a chance to try everything out there or at least a good chunk of what's out there.

It's funny though, not to derail this thread but last night I was watching various shows that people had recorded of my band over the years. The Amulet M and Lyric stood out as being particularly good. It was a bit disappointing because it made me realize that I am just picky.
Yes! I've had good recordings with K&K, ES2, Amulet, Aura Plus, Lyric, and a plain old Matrix Infinity all straight into a PA system. We are mostly in our heads with this stuff. In the end, I figured it doesn't matter nearly as much as I thought. So, I've settled on simple, cheap and lightweight - for now.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Yes! I've had good recordings with K&K, ES2, Amulet, Aura Plus, Lyric, and a plain old Matrix Infinity all straight into a PA system. We are mostly in our heads with this stuff. In the end, I figured it doesn't matter nearly as much as I thought. So, I've settled on simple, cheap and lightweight - for now.
I feel to that a lot of it is feel if that makes sense? The Lyric for example sounded great out front but on stage, there was no body. I had the same issue with the Anthem SL and Amulet M. I am the same now though. I want a pickup that I don't have to worry about setting up at a show, especially one with a sound man and a loud stage. It also has to at least sound a bit natural and "big". I have spent enough time with this that I at least want to feel like I accomplished something lol
Old 01-30-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I don’t pretend to know a lot about electronics but I just remember reading that 18V improvement a lot and not just from Dtar. I know with effects pedals, using 18V over 9V (if the pedal can handle it), does indeed create headroom. The wavelength just had less overall quack. I would have thought that the 18Vs was contributing to that.

https://youtu.be/nFcd55jF4GY
That is the beauty of good marketing. It sounds almost scientific!

The good reason to use two AA batteries instead of a single 9 volt battery is you get a lot more energy to use for a more complicated circuit. But you need to use a "boost" regulator to get above the native three volts of those two AAs. 18 volts might be one choice, 180 might be another if you plan to use a tube, but just quoting the voltage as good in and of itself is mostly marketing (if you believe 6 dB out of 80+ is not important).

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-30-2019 at 06:51 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification