The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Is there an amp that can do acoustic and electric?

Is there an amp that has a decent sound for both acoustic and electric guitars? I don't mind the solid state sound for electric guitars since I have nice pickups that to me make a huge difference.

Anyway an amp that has a channel for acoustic and one for electric? And still has a mike input? Asking for too much?

Also some built in effects with a pedal ? *ducking*
Old 01-28-2019, 04:05 PM

I have a Blackstar ID:Core Beam that does exactly that - plus, it also works for a bass (and as a bluetooth speaker). However, it only puts out 2x10 watts, so if you're thinking of it for gigging, you'll have to check elsewhere. However, it is lacking a mic pickup.

I have also used my Fishman Loudbox Performer with an electric - just putting a Tech 21 RK5 pedal in front of it to add some dirt. Any OD/Dist pedal would work for that.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:54 PM

You want a small powered speaker, like a QSC CP8, and any decent guitar pedal, such as a Zoom MS-50, with which you can reverb or compress or equalize or amp model or distort... both acoustic and electric guitar PUPs.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 PM

That is interesting. I guess that could work and I can just put a multi processor in front for the electric stuff right? Of course I love the 40 watt Tube amp etc etc but reality is I am not gigging and its just to have something that can work to have small jams and sing alongs when people are over the house.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

There is a Rivera amp that supposedly does both but I have not tried it. The other option is to use something like a Helix and a QSC K10.2 which would not give the amp in the room feel but would allow you to play both acoustic and electric.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
There is a Rivera amp that supposedly does both but I have not tried it. The other option is to use something like a Helix and a QSC K10.2 which would not give the amp in the room feel but would allow you to play both acoustic and electric.
That would be the Rivera Sedona 55 or Sedona 25 - all tube amps, 2 channels, both 1X12' combo's. Like a normal Rivera, ch1 is Marshal voiced, Ch1 is Fender voiced and when you pull out the Tweeter Vol pot, ch2 becomes a full on all tube Acoustic Guitar amp. I have the Sedona 55. Doyle Dykes had a sig version of the Sedona 55 for many years - saw him several times at Taylor Clinics when he endorsed those and he always played through the Sedona 55 - phenomenal acoustic guitar tone from that amp. The Sedona 55 uses 2XEL34'a, I believe the Sedona 25 uses 2X6V6's. the 25 works the same way as the 55, just less volume. The electric guitar played through the Sedona Ch1 sounds every bit as your guitar through a Marshall as you'd expect - ch2, Fender voice really does bloom the guitar bass like a Fender will, until you turn on the ch2 tweeter, then your in total acoustic guitar amp mode - it's pure tube tone path with either amp. They do sound very lush and organic as acoustic guitar amps.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublescale1 View Post
That would be the Rivera Sedona 55 or Sedona 25 - all tube amps, 2 channels, both 1X12' combo's. Like a normal Rivera, ch1 is Marshal voiced, Ch1 is Fender voiced and when you pull out the Tweeter Vol pot, ch2 becomes a full on all tube Acoustic Guitar amp. I have the Sedona 55. Doyle Dykes had a sig version of the Sedona 55 for many years - saw him several times at Taylor Clinics when he endorsed those and he always played through the Sedona 55 - phenomenal acoustic guitar tone from that amp. The Sedona 55 uses 2XEL34'a, I believe the Sedona 25 uses 2X6V6's. the 25 works the same way as the 55, just less volume. The electric guitar played through the Sedona Ch1 sounds every bit as your guitar through a Marshall as you'd expect - ch2, Fender voice really does bloom the guitar bass like a Fender will, until you turn on the ch2 tweeter, then your in total acoustic guitar amp mode - it's pure tube tone path with either amp. They do sound very lush and organic as acoustic guitar amps.
And if you have a Taylor ES 1.2, you can order the acoustic input as XLR to take advantage of the impedance match.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:08 AM

I use my Fishman Loudbox Mini with a RedEye Twin preamp.
I plug my Tele into one input in the Twin and any of my acoustics of choice into the other. It sounds awesome for cleans but you would need a stomp box for any distortion and I don't know how that would sound with the mini.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification