The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-05-2019, 11:01 PM

If all you’re looking to do is to be able to play an instrumental over say a verse or chorus, I’d recommend a simple one-bank looper (like the Ditto X2). You can seamlessly loop a verse+chorus while you’re singing it, then perfectly break off into the solo right after.

In these days, this is commonly accepted by audiences (often expected in my town) as they are all mostly familiar with the advancement of loopers as a musician tool and not a gimmick anymore.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi,
I seem to have developed a method of bringing the melody out of the chord shapes.

Below is a fair example of how it works for me.

See the short break after the second verse.

Now - things can change when I'm playing with my trio - so now look at this version where I play more single notes because I have the bass and mando supporting me :

I play covers solo using a vocal harmonizer and seven pedals. I play on cruise ships and the solo gig is great.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 01-06-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Bell View Post
For example, do you emulate the instrumental melody using a fingerstyle or hybrid-picking technique, so you don't completely abandon the rhythm of the song?

Do you pluck individual notes, maybe occasionally filling them out with double-stops or three-note chord shapes?

If you don't have the guitar skills to dazzle your audience and want to focus on your singing, what do you do for the solos when performing alone, like at a winery or coffee house?
My whole act is based on this and it works. I use a Shadowstomp to maintain a kick with my foot. I also hit more than one string as I solo the ones I want, to make it sound like I am playing with another guitarist.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:13 PM

I have a growing case of harmonicas for this. Throw that on a harp holder and do anything slightly better than Dylan and people love it. You should hear me play the harp for the solo in Faithfully! [emoji16]
Old 01-07-2019, 06:38 PM

I do all of the following:

1. Sing the part (I do this in Sister Golden Hair and Drive by Incubus)
2. Play a part that has enough harmonic information that the chords are implied (The Beatles’ All My Loving, Big Star’s Thirteen and Guy Clark’s Boats to Build and The Guitar - gotta love Verlon Thompson; I take great inspiration from this man).
3. Use a looper. I do this for Wish You Were Here, Wichita Lineman and Raul Malo’s Every Little Thing About You. The key is to make sure that the building of the loop isn’t tedious for the audience - it works well and seamlessly on these songs.
4. Play the solo on harp. For Running on Empty and Bowie’s China Girl I use this crutch
5. Skip the solo. It helps if the rest of the song is impressive enough that no one misses the solo too much. This is especially essential if the solo is played on another instrument like saxophone or trumpet.
6. Keep practicing and use Verlon Thompson, Joe Pass, Tuck Andress, Michael Hedges, Monte Montgomery and so many others as inspiration.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 01-08-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Whatever, it's important that I never lose the "groove". I often see solo players who go into a single note lead and lose the underlying rhythm and even the chord progression. It's uncomfortable to watch, even if the player is doing OK on the lead, the song falls apart.
This.

You can also get more rhythmically complex with your strumming, picking, and or inversions. You don't necessarily have to play single note stuff for leads, you just need to find a way to make that section stand out.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:38 AM

Default What do you do for a solo when performing alone?

There a lots of ways approach an instrumental section of a song arrangement.

I primarily flat pick or use a hybrid finger style which allows me to incorporate the melody with in the chords and voicings.

As well, I'll keep the groove or pocket going, but break it down to create more of an interlude than a lead break, per se. Sometimes I just play the intro again, which can be a vamp or the last four bars of the song. It all depends on the tune, which it is really what it's all about.

Sometimes I hum or scat a bit of melody.

Here's an nice simple example in the BJ Thomas/Jimmy Capps cover of Don't Worry Baby.
https://youtu.be/oS4srDHnxqA

Last edited by Pnewsom; 01-09-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I play covers solo using a vocal harmonizer and seven pedals. I play on cruise ships and the solo gig is great.
I use ... acoustic guitar(s),my voice and ... one microphone (if necessary). Seems to work really well.

Of course, I usually only play to audiences that are there listen to the music: "ARTS" (A Right To Silence).
Old 01-08-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Default What do you do for a solo when performing alone?

Most of the time I don’t do instrumental breaks. On a few of my songs, I do a simple harmonica verse, and one of my songs has a kazoo instrumental! Harmonica is good in small doses and a kazoo should be used very sparingly !
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write