The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2003, 08:02 AM

Default I need some opinions on this axe please!

Has anyone played one of these? If so how was it. I am looking at getting one, but no one around here has one. I like the Idea of the dual humbuckers on the strat. I read the comments on Harmony Central and now I wanted my fellow TGF'ers opinions.
Thanks
http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0133300
Old 09-21-2003, 08:34 AM

not a big fender fan... the only guitars that theyve made that i like are the eric clapton strat and the srv strat..
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 09-21-2003, 08:48 AM

With two humbuckers and no single coils - it ain't really a Strat, is it?

2001 Collings CJ-A mahogany
2010 Taylor GS Mini
1995 Taylor GA-WS Ltd
2000 Taylor 512-CEFB (Taylor Custom Shop NAMM-Show)
1999 Taylor 355-12 String
1999 Larrivee Parlour (mahogany)
because of GAS - way too many electrics to list
oh yeah, I almost forgot - an ancient Ovation Balladeer for camping trips.

De Colores!
Old 09-21-2003, 09:03 AM

theyre still mexican fender pickups though... i dont like em..
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 09-21-2003, 09:10 AM

Hmmmm... sounds like something you'd really need to play for yourself to see if it makes the tones you're looking for.

I had a Jap '72 Reissue Tele with the F-hole body and dual buckers. I replaced the stock pickups with Seymour Duncans... one was the Pearly Gates models and I don't recall what the other was. Anyway, I liked that guitar more than the stock '52 RI Tele I had. Big mean Keith Richards honk! Great for that kinda sound, lousy for country twang...

The '72 was great, although it really never sounded like a Tele "should". Didn't sound like a Les Paul, either. It was simply its own animal.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you purchase this guitar hoping for more versatility while maintaining the traditional Strat tones, you may be disappointed.

If you buy it for the body shape and don't mind "different" tones, it may be a great choice.

Good luck!

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 09-21-2003, 11:45 AM

Frankly, if I'm going to play a Strat, I want three single coil pickups. Now, with that said, the Double Fat Strat gets the job done nicely. It's not quite a Les Paul tone (different body wood, no Maple cap, and a bolt neck), but it still sounds pretty good.

If you're looking for a Les Paul/PRS tone, though, this ain't the axe that'll do it for you...

Steve
Old 09-21-2003, 05:55 PM

Thanks guys. I am looking for a guitar that is going to work best with a Line 6 POD. I like Les Paul's but they are overpriced and overweight. PRS are nice , but I just can't afford one. Are there any other suggestions? How would a regular single coil strat do with a Line 6 POD? I want the best axe for the modeler. Any thoughts will be most appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-21-2003, 06:24 PM

Just another fender marketing toy to try to steal a sale from one of the humbucker manufacturers. Strats are transparent sounding wonderfull guitars which need three pickups to sound like a strat . If you want and ibinez sound why not buy an ibinez.

I have two strats both started out as three pickup american standard strats with one pc solidbody swamp ash bodies and maple necks in two tone sunburst . Awesome sounding . I have a Rio Grande double singlecoil in the bridge on one of them . They are routed hum single hum to putting a humbucker in the bridge or neck or both is not problem though the wiring can be tricky then you got the best of both worlds especially if you coil tap the humbucker. The rio grande is made in texas and the guy knows his stuff but his ''dual single coils are not true humbuckers though they do cancell the hum , technically bing humbucking' but they still sound transparent just have more grunt than one single coil and give unreal sustain and overdrive well.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 09-21-2003, 09:21 PM

The "single Fat" strat has a humbucker and two single coils. Seems like that might be more versatile. I'm looking at one of those right now.

Vintage Ibanez Dread
Martin D28
Taylor 355
American Deluxe Power Telecaster
Les Paul Deluxe
Old 09-22-2003, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStugots
Thanks guys. I am looking for a guitar that is going to work best with a Line 6 POD. I like Les Paul's but they are overpriced and overweight. PRS are nice , but I just can't afford one. Are there any other suggestions? How would a regular single coil strat do with a Line 6 POD? I want the best axe for the modeler. Any thoughts will be most appreciated. Thanks
you think les pauls are overweight? i kinda like how they are... heh...

i love my godin... its such a great guitar.. best guitar ive ever played.. 2 seymour duncan humbuckers (neck was made for the LGX* alone), 2 coil taps (knob so you can go either humbucker, sc, or somewhere in the middle), LR Baggs acoustic bridge, 3 way switch (electric/blend/acoustic), 5 way pickup selector, 3 outputs (electric/blend/acoustic), built in acoustic eq, amazing action, and to make things even better, a beautiful beautiful finish. look at the pics on my website
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 09-22-2003, 05:50 AM

Shane, you're right, that Godin is nice!
Old 09-22-2003, 06:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStugots
How would a regular single coil strat do with a Line 6 POD? I want the best axe for the modeler. Any thoughts will be most appreciated. Thanks
Single coils sound like single coils and humbuckers sound like humbuckers with the POD. If you want HOT pickups, you might go with a stacked humbucker on the Strat in the bridge position. Aesthetically, a strat with humbuckers does nothing for me.

The Les Pauls and PRS' feel completely different from a Strat. Besides the longer scale on the Strat, it also has a neck which is shouldered with a flair right out to the edge of the fingerboard. The Gibbies and PRS' shoulders round out more like a "C". You'll want to decide which type of shouldering is more comfy to you. When I went for a Strat-ish, because I had spent years on Gibsons, I went with a G&L, whose shoulders are more rounded that the Fender, more like a Gibson.

If you are looking for something versatile, you might at least think about the Carvin TL60 with the DC127 pickup option. It's a tele-shaped guitar, but with a slim, 24-fret neck and neck-through body construction. The 127 pickup option gives you two splittable humbuckers and a three-way switch. You can order it with a Wilkinson Trem (TL60T) if you want. The neck is a middle of the road 25" scale and the shoulders are also middle of the road.

The TL60 page

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification