The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM

Thumbs down Thoughts On Taylors Ns24ce

I really like reading thoughts on the Taylor ns72ce, I've had the Taylor ns24ce for a month now, and the tone is awesome. I was wondering how much greater the Taylor ns72ce is on tone. , as I didnt think this sound could get any better.? Been learning 4 yrs now and love this new ns24ce. Do others love their Taylor ns24ce????

So lucky to have
2010 Taylor ns24ce
2010 Taylor GS MINI

Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENSTAYLOR View Post
... Do others love their Taylor ns24ce????
I certainly hope I will. It's supposed to be arriving tomorrow! I actually did play it first, at the Taylor Service Center in El Cajon, and was quite impressed. Since I was about to fly home I had them ship it, and shipping was less than the CA sales tax I would have paid if I took it with me. I hope I'm still impressed after I've had it for awhile.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 AM

Never tried a Taylor NS series, but they sure are beauties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:58 AM

I played a 24ce and the 32ce in a shop, I liked the sound of the 24 much better - also the salesman-guy in the shop who played the both guitars around with me. It had more sustain and I liked the "honey" trebles, o.k. someone would say the trebles of the 32 sound more clear and bright.
The guitar would have been absolutely more than fine to me - but I`m a Mraz fan and realized that secretly I wished to own the 72ce also in fact of the nicer looking cedar top.
It ended up that I sold my high end camerasystem (I never thought that I could sell it someday...) just to order a never played before high end Taylor Nylon 72ce.
I have not compared the 72 to the 24 directly yet but to me it seems there is no big difference in sound and playability. Because the 72 has the sustain I missed at the 32ce.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 AM

In the Taylor NS line, I prefer the NSx2 size over the NSx4. The 12 fret GC size has a warmer more complex tone. I also prefer a cedar top when piared with rosewood or mahogany. On the NS62, I think the englemann spruce combined with the maple is a perfect match.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I thought the NS24ce was a great guitar for the money and was exactly what I was looking for as a steel string player who wanted to occasionally enjoy and explore the nylon sound.

I play and sing for a living and my primary concern in the plugged in tone. A week after buying my NS24ce I made the "mistake" of comparing it, both unplugged and through my sound system to an NS74ce. No contest! The 74 had a richness, a depth and complexity that was not there in the 24 (which makes sense given the woods and the price difference.) I was hooked and took the 74 home with me.

I played nothing but the 74 for about 3 months both at home and out a shows, and my beautiful Collings steel string sat in the case. I had become a nylon player!

I wanted a second nylon as maybe a backup or as a difference voice. I LOVE the shape and size of the NSX2's so I tried a used NS62ce with the ES. Probably the most visually beautiful guitar I've ever seen! Just gorgeous and I liked the unplugged tone too. Plugged in was another story. It was just too clean and sterile for me and didn't blend as well with my vocals. So I returned that.

I next tried a 2009 NS72ce with the Fishman system. Wow! Perfect! Not only is the size and shape just wonderful but the guitar sounds much more lively than the 74. In my limited nylon experience, I would say that the 74 is the perfect crossover. I could hit that just like I could my Collings 12 fret long dreadnought. It plays and feels like a steel string but with a nylon sound.

The 72 demands a different touch. I would guess that the 72 tends a bit more to the classical guitar side of things. In comparison, the 74 felt stiff, like I needed to work much harder for the notes and the chords where with the 72, they poured easily from the instrument.

I also much prefer the Fishman system to the ES. The ES in the 74 that I once thought was deep, full and rich (compared to the 24) sounded flat and one dimensional. With the Fishman in the 72 I could blend in a bit of the sound board transducer and hear a wider spectrum of sound.

Needless to say, the 72 is with me right now on the road and the 74 went out the door to a new home!

That's a long story I know but that's the trip from the 24 to the 72. The 24 has a couple of advantages. Price is certainly one of those and if you are looking for a sound that cuts through a bit more, maybe to be heard with a band or another instrument or two, the 24 could be a good choice. If you are a steel string player and want to play a nylon string that responds like a steel string, the 24 could be a good choice.

Comparing the two is tough. Different sizes, different tops, laminate vs. wood, different price points. To me, sonically, the 72 is warmer, more responsive, with more richness and depth than the 24 but that's just me.

Matt
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
ITo me, sonically, the 72 is warmer, more responsive, with more richness and depth than the 24 but that's just me.
Thanks, Matt - this is what I hoped to hear from someone who had the chance to play them all... I´ve been sure that I did right with buying the 72 but now I´m even more sure!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlw View Post
I certainly hope I will. It's supposed to be arriving tomorrow!
@brianlw: Did the guitar arrive? It seems as you can`t stop playing and write us how you love the 24ce.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstsign View Post
@brianlw: Did the guitar arrive?
It was delayed one day, due to weather. According to USP tracking, it is on a local truck and "Out for delivery".

I'm assuming, since it is currently 16 degrees outside, that I want it to come to room temperature inside before I unpack it?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Room temperature is a good idea, but some people can't wait that long. I've been told that an hour is as good as a day, but I'm more likely to wait a few extra hours just "in case."
Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM

It just arrived! UPS is usually later in the day for me. To avoid temptation, I am going to go run some errands for a couple hours and open it when I get back home.

"Delayed gratification hard!"
~Cookie Monster
Old 02-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Brian,

The usual advice is not to open the shipping box if it still feels cold to the touch. Then once you get the guitar case out of the box, don't open the case if it still feels cold to the touch.

For me, on a cold day that has usually equated to 30-45 minutes before taking the case out of the shipping box and then an hour or so before opening the case.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Thanks. It was in the house 2 1/2 hours before I came back home. Box and case were room temp. We are currently getting aquainted.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

A coworker just bought a NS24ce from Tobias on Saturday - I'm in love with it.

(I admit that I instigated his checking it out. Just doing my part to help jumpstart the world economy.)

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 AM

Thumbs up

Great replies on Taylors' ns24ce ,and Taylor ns series are great on sound and playablity,,,,Hum, just wondering about brianlw.

2010 Taylor ns24ce
2010 Taylor gs Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical