The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-28-2021, 11:58 AM

Default Sable was my first acoustic guitar...now I'm ruined

I don't post much here...mainly because after my initial trepidation laying down the cash and getting a Sable, I love it so much I have been playing and playing and playing (to paraphrase Forrest Gump).

I have no doubt whatsoever that THAT guitar has made me a much better player...mainly because I play it every day, several times a day, and ENJOY playing it every day.

Well....I ventured out a few weeks ago and found a guitar shop that had some very high end (at least for my lifestyle) acoustics on hand...so I thought I would see what a really good, high-end wood guitar from a trusted company would sound like / feel like compared to my McPherson.

The guitar I tried out was a Taylor Builder's Edition 912ce. It listed for $5400. So a couple of thousand above the cost of a Sable.

It was beautiful, and the appointments were gorgeous. Lovely patina to the wood, mother of pearl inlays....just stunning. There was no other customers in the store at all...so I had a chance to really sit and play the Taylor for quite some time, uninterrupted.

And I like my Sable better in every way except in the looks department.

I guess I have just grown so used to the chime, clarity, and sustain of CF...the action on the Sable was also better (I know this can be adjusted on the Taylor). But I like the feel of the neck better on the Sable (again this could be because I am used to it).

Don't get me wrong...the Taylor played great...but not BETTER than the Sable....and certainly not 2k better. I don't have any wood acoustics...so the 'dampening' (I don't know what to call it) of the tone and sustain just sounded "flat" to me. The strings didn't appear to be old, so I do not think it was something like that going on. I honestly think the Sable has ruined me for wood acoustics. It certainly has cured me of any guitar lust.

As an aside, they had several high-end Martins as well...I tried all of them but preferred the sound and playability of the Taylor. The store was not a McPherson dealer so I could not play any of their wood models.

When I was just starting to play acoustic, I don't think I would have been able to feel / know which I preferred. But with countless hours on the Sable in my past...it just feels and sounds right to me.

I have yet to experience anything like this with electrics. I wish I could.

Have any of you been ruined by CF guitars? Would love to hear I am not the only one.

Cheers!
Old 08-28-2021, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

There's no doubt that we get use to the feel and tone of the guitar we play the most. But we also like what we like ! You said you like it a lot and play it a lot...that really says a lot ! Sounds like the guitar for you, but if you are considering a wood guitar, don't give up the search (that's a lot of the fun!) you may come across something that compliments your Sable, why get something that sounds the same or competes?? I love my Sable, but am also very fond of a couple wood guitars I own. What I found (like you) is that CF guitars offer fantastic value and to get a wood guitar on par, you'll usually have to spend a lot more $$$.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:01 PM

I completely agree, the Sable is a fine specimen of CF offerings. I also love the little cousin- the Touring. I wish McPherson would offer a scale somewhere in between the Touring and the Sable, something just under 25". I actually reached out to their customer service; they did not say "no" but that my idea was interesting.

I still find myself looking at wood guitars and there are some excellent sounding guitars to be had, even sub $1K. However, nothing spoils you like traveling worry free, hanging on a wall or leaving out on a stand. And with the tones being produced by these modern marvels I'm pretty sold on having at least one in your stable. It is a good time to be a guitar player!
Old 08-28-2021, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Interesting thread, especially since both the McPherson Sable and the Taylor 912ce were mentioned. Then, Steelvibe mentioned wishing for a guitar between the Sable and the Touring.

I have the Sable, the Touring, and the Taylor 912ce. All are fine guitars and the Taylor is that guitar between the Sable and the Touring with its short scale. I believe it is 24.9" or thereabouts. It has a nice small body and is very comfortable to play.

If I could bring my Taylor to McPherson and ask them to build an exact copy in carbon fiber, I think both Steelvibe and I would be extremely happy.

Tony
Old 08-28-2021, 02:48 PM
Guest 928

Ka;

While exploring options you might want to take a look at the Blackbirds. They are, in my estimation, a jump forward in guitar evolution and something different from wood or carbon fiber.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
Have any of you been ruined by CF guitars? Would love to hear I am not the only one.
Ruined? No (but some might disagree)…

Significantly altered? No doubt. I’ve reached that satisfying inflection point where I realize that my guitars are not the limiting factor.

I loved your review, but I’d make one comment, which is a thought I’ve expressed here, many, many times.

You love your Sable because it’s a great guitar. The fact that it’s made from carbon fiber is entirely incidental.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-28-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ka;

While exploring options you might want to take a look at the Blackbirds. They are, in my estimation, a jump forward in guitar evolution and something different from wood or carbon fiber.
Wow..never seen them before. I will definitely take a look...thank you!
Old 08-28-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Ruined? No (but some might disagree)…

You love your Sable because it’s a great guitar. The fact that it’s made from carbon fiber is entirely incidental.
Well said. I do love it because it is a GREAT guitar.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Interesting thread, especially since both the McPherson Sable and the Taylor 912ce were mentioned. Then, Steelvibe mentioned wishing for a guitar between the Sable and the Touring.

I have the Sable, the Touring, and the Taylor 912ce. All are fine guitars and the Taylor is that guitar between the Sable and the Touring with its short scale. I believe it is 24.9" or thereabouts. It has a nice small body and is very comfortable to play.

If I could bring my Taylor to McPherson and ask them to build an exact copy in carbon fiber, I think both Steelvibe and I would be extremely happy.

Tony
I hope you don't take what I said about the Taylor to be negative. It was a really stunning guitar. What I didn't mention in my post was I loved the rolled edges on the fretboard....they felt so nice...and the neck width felt a little thinner too which made it easy to play. And on looks I preferred the Taylor hands down.

Maybe an Emerald or one of the Blackbirds mentioned are another alternative for me to look at since I like the look of wood, but the sound and durability of CF.

Am just happy to have found an instrument that gives me zero regrets....and that is a first.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
... nothing spoils you like traveling worry free, hanging on a wall or leaving out on a stand.
Oh man do I agree with this! My Sable is always within reach on a stand...and I regret to say I have accidentally bumped it a few times against my desk or a chair. Luckily it is so durable there isn't a single scratch or indication I ever goofed. I also love being able to come in my office in the morning, pick it up and it is perfectly in tune every time. I will often hear a song or watch a video on YT and think, 'that looks like a fun song to play' and being able to just pick up the guitar and it being already in tune....it just helps keep me in the moment / doesn't break the flow of inspiration.

Sorry...gushing again lol.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Don't apologize for "gushing"... I felt much the same with the first really nice guitar I owned... 55 years ago, and I still have it. Of course, it wasn't carbon fiber back then.

We all approach guitar-ownership from a different perspective, but your Sable is, without a doubt, one of the nicest examples of a carbon fiber instrument and from a builder who knows how to make 'em right. I saw your post regarding your potential interest in BlackBird or Emerald; both in the same quality category as your Sable, although each different in design and style. My first Emerald was an eye-opener, not in just confirming my appreciation for carbon fiber sound and ease of care, but also for the comfort factor.

Many of us here have more than one CF guitar and still enjoy some nice wood guitars.

Congrats on picking a really good "first acoustic guitar" right out of the gate. Most folks I know had to work their way up. Enjoy!
Old 08-29-2021, 05:11 AM

A refreshing perspective. How many posts do we see where people come in and say. “ it just doesn’t sound like my wood guitar”. It’s all relative to how we form our preferences based on prior biases. I think an open mind based on what we think sounds good allows us to enjoy different pallets from all mediums. I have multiple CF and wood guitars and have found that if I close my eyes while playing them I get to “ appreciate “ their differences. Thanks to the writer of the original post for sharing!
Old 08-29-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
I hope you don't take what I said about the Taylor to be negative. It was a really stunning guitar. What I didn't mention in my post was I loved the rolled edges on the fretboard....they felt so nice...and the neck width felt a little thinner too which made it easy to play. And on looks I preferred the Taylor hands down.

Maybe an Emerald or one of the Blackbirds mentioned are another alternative for me to look at since I like the look of wood, but the sound and durability of CF.

Am just happy to have found an instrument that gives me zero regrets....and that is a first.
Not at all. I think you gave the guitars in your post a "fair shake". My comment was merely that for two of us in this thread, it seemed a CF guitar built to the dimensions of a 912ce would be ideal. It seems perfect to me in terms of its size and shape. The McPherson, in my opinion, plays very much like a Taylor in terms of the feel of the neck and the playability, but like the Taylor, still needs a bit of a tweak to make it perfect for me.

My concern with wood guitars, nice as they truly are, is that they can "move" and be adversely affected by changes in the environment such as humidity or lack thereof.

I did a minor set up on my McPhersons by deepening the nut slots a bit and a bit of filing the bottom of the saddle. Very small changes in these areas did wonders for an already very playable guitar.

What is great about the McPhersons is that they will be forever as I set them up, while I am sure my Taylor will need such work to be done again in the future. That guitar I take to the experts who are factory trained, so there is a cost involved.

Tony
Old 08-29-2021, 08:44 AM

Thank you to all the responses...it is so refreshing to have found such a supportive community.

I am anxious to try out some of the alternatives...CF, wood, whatever they are made of!

My perspectives may be skewed somewhat....I spent the first 50 years of my life as a keyboard player / singer. When I entered retirement, I made the conscious decision to learn guitar. I always wanted to, but never could get past the initial 'frustration' phase: sore fingers and buzzy chording...and the time needed to develop rudimentary skills just did not seem worth it. I am so glad to have the chance to fix that.

I think because I didn't grow up as a guitar aficionado, I never looked at all the great guitar players and thought, "I want to play like HIM". So my conceptions of playing were more in line with what I wanted to do with the SOUND, rather than who I wanted to sound like. I hope that makes sense.
Even now, the majority of my playing on acoustic is much more percussive / staccato...like a funk rhythm player on electric ala Nile Rodgers.

Am just starting to learn a little bit of fingerpicking, but I don't know if I will ever be that kind of guy. The challenge is fun though.

Again, thank you all for the responses, information, and sharing of ideas!
Old 08-29-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Not at all. I think you gave the guitars in your post a "fair shake". My comment was merely that for two of us in this thread, it seemed a CF guitar built to the dimensions of a 912ce would be ideal. It seems perfect to me in terms of its size and shape. The McPherson, in my opinion, plays very much like a Taylor in terms of the feel of the neck and the playability, but like the Taylor, still needs a bit of a tweak to make it perfect for me.

My concern with wood guitars, nice as they truly are, is that they can "move" and be adversely affected by changes in the environment such as humidity or lack thereof.

I did a minor set up on my McPhersons by deepening the nut slots a bit and a bit of filing the bottom of the saddle. Very small changes in these areas did wonders for an already very playable guitar.

What is great about the McPhersons is that they will be forever as I set them up, while I am sure my Taylor will need such work to be done again in the future. That guitar I take to the experts who are factory trained, so there is a cost involved.

Tony
I am a fan of the Taylor Grand Concert size guitars. In fact, it was "a CF guitar built to the dimensions of an x12 Taylor" that led me to my first carbon fiber guitar: a RainSong Shorty. Now, to be fair, the neck on that Shorty (NS) is nowhere near as comfortable to me as my Taylor 522ce 12-fret, but the rest of that guitar does feel quite similar. I sold that Shorty because it got no playing time after getting a couple Emeralds, mostly due to the neck.

I moved on from RainSong because of the chunky neck, so I am not familiar with what took the Shorty's place in their line, but the OM body with the NS 12-fret neck would give you that Taylor Grand Concert... if you can live with the neck (which, again, is certainly not Taylor-like).

All that said, if you think a Taylor Grand Concert is comfortable, wrap yourself around an Emerald some time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber