The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-12-2021, 08:53 AM
Rootwitch Rootwitch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 9
Default Looking for fingerstyle compilations

I'm looking for some more fingerstyle compilation CDs for my collection. I currently have "Masters of Acoustic Guitar" from 1987, "Guitar Fingerstyle" from 1996, and "Touch: Windham Hill" from (2001).

My favorites on those CDs are by Edward Gerhard (Crow), Pat Kirtley (Daisy Goes a Dancing), Benjamin Woolman (Soul Discovery), If I Only Had Wings (D.R. Auten), Bill Mize (The Road Scholar), Muir Woods (Andrew York), Alex De Grassi (Turning: Turning Back) . . . and of course everything by Michael Hedges and Billy McLaughlin.

I dislike the songs by Don Ross, Muriel Anderson, and Doyle Dukes on those albums, though it could just be those songs.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

(I should mention that for full albums, I already have all of Hedges and McLaughlin's stuff, as well as Bruce Cockburn, Al Petteway, Pierre Bensusan, Leo Kottke, John Fahey, and several others)
__________________
2018 Bourgeois O Country Boy
2021 Collings 02H 12-string
1972 Guild D25
Fender HMT
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-2021, 09:39 AM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: my father's attic
Posts: 4,738
Default

I really kind of depends on what you are into. I agree that many of those books might have cool artists while not showcasing their best work.

One of my very favorites is from lesser known Brian Gore. He has an excellent book out that is an great read even if you don't like the transcriptions (and IMO those are great too). It's called Fingerstyle Guitar/ Lessons in Technique and Creativity. You can look up the music on it by visiting YouTube. This book isn't for you if you are not looking for an interesting read from the founder of International Guitar Night or if you want a ton of well known songs.

BTW, I like your forum handle; obviously you are a fan of Hedges. His son sent out a survey of what fans would like to see best on a website he was developing but it has been probably 2 years since I filled that survey out and then I never heard another word about it. A new Hedges site would be fantastic!

Last edited by steelvibe; 09-12-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2021, 01:26 PM
Rootwitch Rootwitch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I really kind of depends on what you are into. I agree that many of those books might have cool artists while not showcasing their best work.

One of my very favorites is from lesser known Brian Gore. He has an excellent book out that is an great read even if you don't like the transcriptions (and IMO those are great too). It's called Fingerstyle Guitar/ Lessons in Technique and Creativity. You can look up the music on it by visiting YouTube. This book isn't for you if you are not looking for an interesting read from the founder of International Guitar Night or if you want a ton of well known songs.

BTW, I like your forum handle; obviously you are a fan of Hedges. His son sent out a survey of what fans would like to see best on a website he was developing but it has been probably 2 years since I filled that survey out and then I never heard another word about it. A new Hedges site would be fantastic!
Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll look into it. Any other fingerstyle CD compilations you recommend?

Yes, I'm a Hedges devotee. He's unparalleled, in my opinion, in creativity, tone, musicality, and passion. I had actually heard that a different guy, Jake White, was developing a new website and writing a biography or something along those lines, but I'm not sure of the progress there.
__________________
2018 Bourgeois O Country Boy
2021 Collings 02H 12-string
1972 Guild D25
Fender HMT
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-12-2021, 01:55 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 8,506
Default

Solid Air, AcousticMusicResource.com has a bunch of samplers and collections.

There's a couple of Mel Bay books that are massive collections. Can't remember the titles right now. They used to come with CDs, probably downloads now.

If you have spotify or pandora, just put in the name of a player you like, it it will play a "radio" program based on that artist, bringing in others who they at least think are related. Kind of a "make your own random compilation" approach.

You might also check out Doug Adam's radio show, which is archived at Mixcloud:

https://www.mixcloud.com/dougadamz/

Over 100 episodes, and he starts each show with a half hour of fingerstyle guitar from all kinds of players, making for a nice sampler.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2021, 05:34 PM
Rootwitch Rootwitch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 9
Default

Thanks, Doug, I appreciate the recommendations. I'm interested in the radio show for sure!
__________________
2018 Bourgeois O Country Boy
2021 Collings 02H 12-string
1972 Guild D25
Fender HMT
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2021, 03:17 AM
Howard Emerson Howard Emerson is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Huntington Station, New York
Posts: 6,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootwitch View Post
I'm looking for some more fingerstyle compilation CDs for my collection. I currently have "Masters of Acoustic Guitar" from 1987, "Guitar Fingerstyle" from 1996, and "Touch: Windham Hill" from (2001).

My favorites on those CDs are by Edward Gerhard (Crow), Pat Kirtley (Daisy Goes a Dancing), Benjamin Woolman (Soul Discovery), If I Only Had Wings (D.R. Auten), Bill Mize (The Road Scholar), Muir Woods (Andrew York), Alex De Grassi (Turning: Turning Back) . . . and of course everything by Michael Hedges and Billy McLaughlin.

I dislike the songs by Don Ross, Muriel Anderson, and Doyle Dukes on those albums, though it could just be those songs.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

(I should mention that for full albums, I already have all of Hedges and McLaughlin's stuff, as well as Bruce Cockburn, Al Petteway, Pierre Bensusan, Leo Kottke, John Fahey, and several others)
The original release of Mel Bay's Master Anthology of Fingerstyle Solos III actually came with a CD & the tab/notation book. Now of course it's available as an ebook and online audio.

My composition, Crossing Crystal Lake, is included in it. Somewhere I'll bet I have an unopened copy of it. I don't read or write tab so I was not able to proof read the tab for Stephen Rekas, the editor.

It must be fairly accurate because I've seen about 6-7 covers of my composition on Youtube, and most of them are close.

https://www.melbay.com/Products/2024...-volume-3.aspx

Regards,
Howard Emerson
__________________
My New Website!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2021, 11:43 AM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 8,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
The original release of Mel Bay's Master Anthology of Fingerstyle Solos III actually came with a CD & the tab/notation book. Now of course it's available as an ebook and online audio.

That's one the books I was thinking of, apparently in 3 volumes. I also have a book "2000 Fingerpicking", which seems to have been renamed to Master Anthology Volume 1, out of print?

There's also a new book out from Hal Leonard called "Flying Fingers"

https://www.halleonard.com/product/3...flying-fingers
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-23-2021, 06:11 AM
Craviola Craviola is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 414
Default

Fingerstyle Guitar- New Dimensions and Explorations Volume 1,2 & 3 from Stefan Grossmans Guitar workshop. All dvds come with tab and there was a book put out as well. I found the set very enjoyable and inspirational.

This three DVD set features new and archival footage of performances by the preeminent names in steel-string fingerstyle guitar.

John Fahey, Bert Jansch, Jorma Kaukonen, Will Ackerman, Adrian Legg, Buster B. Jones, Preston Reed and Woody Mann, John Renbourn, Stefan Grossman, Pat Donohue, Dave Evans, John Knowles, Duck Baker, Marcel Dadi, El McMeen, Chris Proctor and Joe Miller, Martin Taylor, Martin Simpson, Bob Brozman, Larry Coryell, Steve Howe, Martin Carthy, Peppino D'Agostino, Tim Sparks and Gordon Giltrap
__________________
70 Giannini Craviola x 2
74 Giannini Craviola x 3
72 Giannini Craviola 12 string
91 Taylor 855c Koa
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-29-2021, 08:58 PM
jim1960 jim1960 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,110
Default

This is the best fingerstyle compilation album I've ever heard...

Guitar Sampler Volume I
__________________
Jim
2017 Circle Strings 00 bastogne walnut/sinker redwood
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce


SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-30-2021, 06:21 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: my father's attic
Posts: 4,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

There's also a new book out from Hal Leonard called "Flying Fingers"

https://www.halleonard.com/product/3...flying-fingers
Was going to recommend this next but you beat me to it. This is quite a book covering everything from Elizabeth Cotton to Mike Dawes. Pretty cool compilation really.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-05-2021, 11:55 PM
Brucebubs's Avatar
Brucebubs Brucebubs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eden, Australia
Posts: 16,462
Default

Ex-Windham Hill founder Will Ackerman won a Grammy in 2005 for his album 'Returning' on which he re-recorded tracks from his earlier albums.

In the liner notes he mentions he uses a microphone in his home studio that is worth more than the total production costs of his first two albums!
__________________
Brucebubs

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-06-2021, 11:21 PM
Glennwillow Glennwillow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coastal Washington State
Posts: 37,677
Default

The AGF put out, I think, three CD compilations of music from AGF members in the past. I don't know if those CDs are available anymore. I thought those CDs were quite good.

- Glenn
__________________
My You Tube Channel
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=