The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Hi Perro…

Lot's of 'experts' weigh in on humidity, and often they disagree/conflict with each other.

All agree we should watch the humidity, and most want us to make sure the guitars are somewhere between 35-50%.

My guitars sound best when close to the 35% and above 50% they start to sound like they are stuffed with towels and socks. But they are safe down to 30%.

How to humidify…and how closely to monitor humidity…really depend on who you choose to trust (often first person who told you about humidifiers).

I have cheap ($10-15 electronic hygrometers that display temp and humidity) strewn around our house. Right now there's one on the fridge, one in the dining room, and two in my music area. They are all within a couple degrees, and a couple percent of each other for temp and humidity.

In low humidity (below 30%) guitars don't change/shift in minutes and seconds, but days & (weeks).

We just need to be in the safe range, not a specific target number.

I use sponge and ziplock-with-slits-cut-in-them for the cases, and a Kyser Lifeguard in the soundhole.

Here is a link on how to build your own humidifier. I've been making/using these for 17 years without issue (video from 2012).

Plain old sponges (not the ones with soap built in), and cheap ziplocks.

Hope this contributes to the host of other ideas submitted…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-18-2021, 03:09 PM

Hi Perro, I have my guitars on Hercules wall hangers and run a room dehumidifier in Spring/Summer/Fall. I have a room humidifier as well but I found I don't need it in the winter here (at least not yet).

I use the wet sponge in a perforated ziplock bag in the case when I go out with the guitar, as Larry noted above (^). I've found that works well.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:31 PM

As others have posted, I keep my guitars in their cases with Boveda Humidipacs hanging inside the guitars and behind the headstocks. Humidity where I live can reach 80% in the summer and 30% in the winter. I also keep hygrometers in each case and track temp and humidity via bluetooth on my phone. Humidity in the cases is generally between 40 and 55%.

Bill

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion