The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 10:28 AM

For those who cannot get past the artificial nature of composite guitars, there is the Blackbird El Capitan. This mini jumbo is made from eKoa, a linen fiber based composite. It looks like mahogany and sounds very woody. When I first encountered one, I thought, "This sounds a lot like my Taylor GA's, but is impervious to humidity and (mostly) to temperature". The Savoy is a parlor-sized alternative that is also a wonderful guitar.
https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/coll...cts/el-capitan

But if you must have wood, that's OK too - they still make those and for many good reasons. Although I'm a CF convert, there will still be one wooden all-koa guitar and ukulele left at my house when most of the wooden ones have moved on. It's all good.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Hi, almost (!) all my guitars live in their cases at home.

Two or three live on the wall in my tiny office (read cell) where my computer, printers, and all my documents and stuff also live. Dryish room. I never seem to have issues with the guitars in this room.

However, whilst my little house is pretty much optimum humidity all year round apart from, say November to April when we have the central heating on, the hygrometers in the cases don't go down too low.

In January 2017, they told me I had throat cancer and so that and the treatment, and all the disgusting side effects took over our lives for that year and most of this one.

Of course, by end April last year I'd lost my voice and as I couldn't eat lost massive amounts of weight which meant that last winter I really needed the heating on as high as it would go.
Mando Bob (possibly my closest still living friend), said to me "Andy you are a grumpy old git but you are always happiest when you play your guitars. Leave one out on a stand".
I did - my Collings 0002h.

I got far too weak to get cases down to monitor my others and was too ill to even play that 000.

This year that 0002h sounds as if there is a strut loose ... or something, but my Tech man can't find any issues, although he also hears what I do. I have a similar issue with one of my dreads - the oldest Collings.

He won't let me have them back until he's found and resolved the issue.

The heating went on at the beginning of this month, and I'm about to start filling up the hygrometers in the cases but so far RH is still OK.

Seems to me that the better made the guitar, the more likely it is to have RH related issues.
or ... perhaps they refer a stable environment even if it isn't ideal.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, almost (!) all my guitars live in their cases at home.

Two or three live on the wall in my tiny office (read cell) where my computer, printers, and all my documents and stuff also live. Dryish room. I never seem to have issues with the guitars in this room.

However, whilst my little house is pretty much optimum humidity all year round apart from, say November to April when we have the central heating on, the hygrometers in the cases don't go down too low.

In January 2017, they told me I had throat cancer and so that and the treatment, and all the disgusting side effects took over our lives for that year and most of this one.

Of course, by end April last year I'd lost my voice and as I couldn't eat lost massive amounts of weight which meant that last winter I really needed the heating on as high as it would go.
Mando Bob (possibly my closest still living friend), said to me "Andy you are a grumpy old git but you are always happiest when you play your guitars. Leave one out on a stand".
I did - my Collings 0002h.

I got far too weak to get cases down to monitor my others and was too ill to even play that 000.

This year that 0002h sounds as if there is a strut loose ... or something, but my Tech man can't find any issues, although he also hears what I do. I have a similar issue with one of my dreads - the oldest Collings.

He won't let me have them back until he's found and resolved the issue.

The heating went on at the beginning of this month, and I'm about to start filling up the hygrometers in the cases but so far RH is still OK.

Seems to me that the better made the guitar, the more likely it is to have RH related issues.
or ... perhaps they refer a stable environment even if it isn't ideal.
After hearing that story I don't think I'll be whining nearly as much about my minor problems with guitar cases and humidity, and guitars that aren't quite perfect.
I hope you're getting your medical problems sorted out, that you're on the road to recovery, and are feeling better these days.

Good luck my friend........Dave
Mackenzie & Marr "Tofino X" OM (cedar/mahogany)
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Bourgeois Advanced Slope D,
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar
Fender PM-2 Parlor All Mahogany
Old 10-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Best wishes for a full recovery Moustache!!!!!!!!!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-20-2018, 11:48 AM

My guitars are less expensive models, (Taylor 114, Yamaha 335, and a Garcia student grade classical), and they all stay out on stands year round in New England. When the house gets too dry I turn the humidifiers up, or add another one. I e done it this way for years and haven’t had any problems. The action does change though seasonally, though usually not enough for me to swap saddles.

Not sure how higher end solid topped guitars would react? Though it seems like having humidified homes and instrument cases is a more modern situation compared with how long wood instruments have been in existence so...???

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 10-20-2018, 12:29 PM

Default humidify

I use a dehumidifier in the summer ( very humid in NJ )
And a humidifier in the winter
Martin Jeff Daniels custom OM #33
Martin Eric Clapton Custom Signature
Martin CEO-7
Martin 0-18
Guild F65ce
Waterloo WL12 MH
Fender Stratocaster 1980 (American

My biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost
Old 10-20-2018, 01:29 PM

I run a room humidifier all night and any part of the day when the hum doesn't bother me. 40% humidity is easy to maintain in the 12(W) x 22(L) x 9(H) room with the door closed. With hot water baseboard radiation I can't humidify the air any other way, there are no ducts. Though I have the heat on now, the outside air is so damp that it's still 47% inside without the humidifier going. I keep a hygrometer on my desk. I teach several hours a day in this room so it's not running all the time. All my guitars, mandolins, banjos, ukuleles, basses, upright piano, etc are uncased.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:54 PM

Default Another solution...

My guitars live and play in the dry end of the house, three rooms away from a sink. So I use room humidifiers for myself, in the bedroom. For the guitars, I just limit their exposure.

I often have a guitar out on a stand, close at hand, but it's not always the same one. It's a rotation, so next week I might swap in another as my ever-ready instrument. Among my three acoustics, each would sit snugly in its humidified case two-thirds of the time.

This ought to work for those of you who own several choice guitars. Each one gets its own time in your lap, out in the elements, and for that week, you probably shouldn't worry about humidity at all. Right? And if it's not worth playing for a week or two, what's it doing in your collection?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion