The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-16-2018, 01:56 PM

Question Guitar for wheelchair user?

I'm a very small woman in a wheelchair. Love the body shape of the Michael Kelley 10th Anniversary Special Hybrid semi hollow body short scale
I have but b/c of seizures can't play electric (just found out)
Is there anyone has experience in making guitars for wheelchair users?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnut View Post
I'm a very small woman in a wheelchair. Love the body shape of the Michael Kelley 10th Anniversary Special Hybrid semi hollow body short scale
I have but b/c of seizures can't play electric (just found out)
Is there anyone has experience in making guitars for wheelchair users?

You came to the right place. I am not going to name any names, but depending on your price point I would say every luthier in the custom shop would be able to build you a guitar exactly as you would specify and it will sound great to boot!!!
Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Hi Beachnut,

Welcome! I have a Go Guitar Grande Mahogany that I've used for many years on the road. It's about the size of a Backpacker... almost a miniature guitar. I've never tried it, but I would think that might work in a wheelchair. Have you tried any small travel guitars?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

It seems to me that the body size will matter but also where the waist of the guitar is and the playing style. Do you play in classical position or with the guitar on your right leg? Have you considered trying to play in classical position or using a fixture that helps hold the guitar in that position? I assume the main issue is the body hitting the right arm of the wheelchair?

A relatively small body with a waist closer to the tail block seems appropriate.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Smile Playing in a wheelchair

About Playing in a wheelchair. I was in a wheelchair for a few months four and half years ago.

I just took the arms off the wheelchair. I am such a glutton for punishment, that I actually went back to gigging as fast as possible after the surgery!

Since I play a LOT in Senior and Healthcare facilities I just told them I was moving in. Haha

Hope you find something that works well for you!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I think its more about your wheelchair than the guitar. It’s very difficult to play guitar in any kind of chair with arms, so if your chair has removable arms, or fold-down arms, you can probably use most any guitar you want -
Old 10-17-2018, 07:19 PM

A Martin size 5 guitar may be an idea. I have made a few around this size and I regularly pretend to play them in a chair with arms. I am making a maple one right now that might end up with a beveled top and belly cut to accommodate my own disability. I tried looking up seizures and electric guitars, I am wondering if there is something that can be done if you want to play an electric?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop