The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-29-2017, 05:23 PM
j3ffr0 j3ffr0 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,380
Default 2018 - Purchase Considerations

2018 is going to be the year I buy one. I have kind of narrowed it down between Tonedevil and Emerald (at least in my head). Here are my current thoughts:

I will probably only ever buy one harp guitar (but who knows). I'm slightly leaning towards an X20 with a custom 24.75" scale (my fav). I'm also a little on the fence about the super trebles. I guess I'd rather have them and not always use them than wonder, but they are a bit pricy.

If I go with the Tonedevil, I will probably go without the super trebles but ask for a custom scale. The reason I would choose the Tonedevil is that I "think" I would probably have a preference for the tone of the wooden guitar. However, I don't have a lot of experience to base that on -- Of the CF guitars I've played, I've only liked the Rainsongs. And the Emeralds sound pretty darned good in the videos... The ergonomics of the Emerald and the advantages of carbon on a big instrument under high tension factor in too. Pickup/plugged in sound is also a factor for me. I probably will want to gig with it locally, so that pushes me a little bit towards the Emerald as well.

I was wondering if anyone here can speak flexibility (balance between the strings) when plugging in with either of these, plugged in tone and unplugged tone. Also any other suggestions, guidance, or considerations would be appreciated. Nudges in one direction or another are fine too. I'm just trying to research and carefully consider my options. Thanks!
__________________
Alvarez DY61, MC90C
Cordoba GK Studio Negra
Crafter TRV23EQ/N
Huss and Dalton 00-SP, DS Crossroads
Taylor Baritone 8, 314ce, 356e
Timberline T60HGc
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-31-2017, 01:50 AM
JeffreyAK's Avatar
JeffreyAK JeffreyAK is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 728
Default

I have not played a CF guitar, harp or otherwise, so I can't comment on the sound, but I personally would need to play one first before buying one. Wood guitars, especially with spruce tops, are pretty safe bets, but CF is a totally different material, and videos are not going to tell you much about what a guitar will sound like in person. I'm obviously partial to Tonedevils, and am extremely happy with both of mine.

Plugged in, I can get awesome sound with two mics, and I've done some recordings with my S18 that sound professional, but the onboard pickups leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. They are not active (no battery), that might be part of the problem, and perhaps I really should use a pre-amp rather than plugging straight in to an amp or recorder, but I'll take a decent mic over the onboard pickups any day. Gigging, it probably doesn't matter so much, and your major concern will be taming howling feedback from that big top. There again, a mic may be a better option.
__________________
'17 Tonedevil S-18 harp guitar
'15 Taylor 456ce 12-string FOR SALE!
'16 Tonedevil S-12 harp guitar
'79 Fender Stratocaster hardtail with righteous new Warmoth neck
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:40 PM
rogthefrog rogthefrog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
2018 is going to be the year I buy one. I have kind of narrowed it down between Tonedevil and Emerald (at least in my head). Here are my current thoughts:

I will probably only ever buy one harp guitar (but who knows). I'm slightly leaning towards an X20 with a custom 24.75" scale (my fav). I'm also a little on the fence about the super trebles. I guess I'd rather have them and not always use them than wonder, but they are a bit pricy.

If I go with the Tonedevil, I will probably go without the super trebles but ask for a custom scale. The reason I would choose the Tonedevil is that I "think" I would probably have a preference for the tone of the wooden guitar. However, I don't have a lot of experience to base that on -- Of the CF guitars I've played, I've only liked the Rainsongs. And the Emeralds sound pretty darned good in the videos... The ergonomics of the Emerald and the advantages of carbon on a big instrument under high tension factor in too. Pickup/plugged in sound is also a factor for me. I probably will want to gig with it locally, so that pushes me a little bit towards the Emerald as well.

I was wondering if anyone here can speak flexibility (balance between the strings) when plugging in with either of these, plugged in tone and unplugged tone. Also any other suggestions, guidance, or considerations would be appreciated. Nudges in one direction or another are fine too. I'm just trying to research and carefully consider my options. Thanks!
Do you have room in your budget for a Pasadena-made Dyer? They're notably better than the TD.
__________________
Solo acoustic guitar videos:
This Boy is Damaged - Little Watercolor Pictures of Locomotives - Ragamuffin
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2018, 03:01 PM
s2y s2y is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Somewhere middle America
Posts: 4,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Do you have room in your budget for a Pasadena-made Dyer? They're notably better than the TD.
They're on my radar for 2018. Do you have any experience with them??
__________________
Acoustic gear:
KR fanned 7 string
Greg German DB7
Limited Edition walnut Taylor 12 fret non-cutaway ES2
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 AM
j3ffr0 j3ffr0 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,380
Default

Thanks for the feedback so far. The Dyer's are definitely out of my budget by the time I ask for a shorter scale and a 1.75" nut. They look sweet though.

I might reconsider my 1.75" nut requirement and just deal with the narrower neck on the Timberline. Still also considering the Tone Devil and the Emerald as well. I know what I "think" I want, but I may not "know" what I really want/need since I haven't played one. I might be better off to get a Timberline in hand and move forward from there.

On the other hand I already have a few too many guitars. If I plans to buy an entry level harp guitar an then another one later just means even more guitars..... sigh....

Still trying to figure it out....
__________________
Alvarez DY61, MC90C
Cordoba GK Studio Negra
Crafter TRV23EQ/N
Huss and Dalton 00-SP, DS Crossroads
Taylor Baritone 8, 314ce, 356e
Timberline T60HGc
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2018, 08:12 AM
s2y s2y is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Somewhere middle America
Posts: 4,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. The Dyer's are definitely out of my budget by the time I ask for a shorter scale and a 1.75" nut. They look sweet though.

I might reconsider my 1.75" nut requirement and just deal with the narrower neck on the Timberline. Still also considering the Tone Devil and the Emerald as well. I know what I "think" I want, but I may not "know" what I really want/need since I haven't played one. I might be better off to get a Timberline in hand and move forward from there.

On the other hand I already have a few too many guitars. If I plans to buy an entry level harp guitar an then another one later just means even more guitars..... sigh....

Still trying to figure it out....
When I talked to Dyer a while back, they had a demo harp for sale for a very reasonable price.
__________________
Acoustic gear:
KR fanned 7 string
Greg German DB7
Limited Edition walnut Taylor 12 fret non-cutaway ES2
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=