The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2003, 05:23 PM

Default used Taylor 810, worth it?

I've been getting closer and closer to getting a new Taylor ltd 310ce with either Koa or Maple. I went to one last store today, and they had a 1994 810, with something like an Active LR Baggs P/U inside.

The 810 sounded far better to my ear then the Maple 310ce they had in stock, unplugged. Plugged in, you could play around with the Expression System to approximate the 810's sound. The 810 was also more playable. As you can tell, I prefer the 810, but I can't afford to buy it and then get into a cycle of repairs.

So, I'm in a bad place, where I have to make a decision. I can definitely get a lower price on the 810, which pleases our family's budget, and the guitar sounds better, but I'm not getting any warranty. Or I can get the safety of a new guitar, with warranty, whose sound may improve with time.

Does anyone have any advice, or perhaps information on this guitar - whether I can get a good 10-20 more years out of it?

Thanks very much for your help,
-Chuck
Old 12-02-2003, 05:41 PM

Chuck:

Wow, that's a tough question, as you are really at two ends of the spectrum. I'll try to answer as best as I can.

810: Pro: Cheaper, already broken in, Rosewood, made before Taylor became a "mass-producer" of guitars. No proprietary electronics: you should be able to upgrade as time progresses.

Con: No warranty. Used vs. new. Any damage or wear?

310ce LTD: Pro: New with warranty. NT neck, easier neck resets and greater strength (supposedly). ES pickup system: sounds great, probably the best OEM system out there.

Con: Price vs. 810. ES System: folks have had problems with them.

As for whether you can get 10-20 years out of the 810, sure why not? As long as there is no real glaring issues, the 810 should be fine. Taylor is one brand that I don't think for a second about warranties, unless it has the ES system. The guitars are solid, but the ES has had teething pains.

You said the 810 sounds better. Sounds like the decision is (in my mind) an easy one. The only thing to consider is the difference in electronics. If you plug in frequently, the 310 with the ES may be for you. I never plug in, so I'd take the better sounding 810 and the pocket full of extra cash in a jiffy.

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 12-02-2003, 05:50 PM
OCD Certified

It is a good idea to read all the tech sheet here: http://216.120.92.69/guitars/reference/techsheets.html
related to the subject of humidity.
So you have an idea of what a healthy guitar should look and feel like.
Breedlove SC25 Cedar/Walnut
Silvercreek T-160 Engleman/Mahogany
Silvercreek T-170 Engleman/Rosewood
Gretsch Way-Out-West
Old 12-02-2003, 05:57 PM

I would take the 810. With proper care the 810 will last a lifetime. Of course all guitars require maintenance, new or used. But just because the guitar is used..... does not mean its life expectency has been used up, my 1957 Gibson is 3 times the guitar they make now adays IMO. My advice, take a knowledgable person with you to check the guitar out. Have fun, Steve
Old 12-02-2003, 06:09 PM

Talking

810 & if needed, add a LR Baggs active pickup.
(Course I may be biased)

The best things in life, are not Things...
Old 12-02-2003, 06:25 PM

Welcome to the family, Chuck! If your ears say the 810, and there are no real issues with it, go for it. It's a fine guitar.

Do you know a good guitar tech you could show it to for an evaluation? If so, you might buy it with a couple of days to change your mind, and pay the tech for an independent, professional opinion.

Lots of people buy cars this way, and it seems to work nicely.

cotten
Old 12-02-2003, 06:33 PM
OCD Certified

Quote:
Originally posted by jimklein
810 & if needed, add a LR Baggs active pickup.
(Course I may be biased)
Even better. It is already included in the 810 he is checking out
Gretsch Way-Out-West
Old 12-02-2003, 06:42 PM

Hi Chuck...
and welcome aboard!

I recently purchased an 810 WMB after strumming and picking a few chords...
I haven't looked back since.

You don't have to JUMP at this one, but you might want to look at some others.

My vote goes to an 810!
Philip
Old 12-02-2003, 06:43 PM

Cosmetically, there's a couple of light belt buckle scratches on the back, the gold tuners have about 1/2 of their plating worn away to silver, and there's a very slight dent about 1/8" on the top. The rest of the guitar passes visual inspection. Better then my 12-year old Fender. As for the structural quality, I will need to take it to a tech. Good advice.

I spoke with Taylor about this guitar, and their only suggested future alterations to the guitar would be a neck reset, which they suggested on any guitar after the 10-year mark (~$175-250). They also said to take it to a trusted tech, before purchasing though.

I was surprised at the action on this guitar. Something else that was strange. It felt like it had light strings on it (.12) but it definitely sounded deeper in tone than the 310 which had mediums on it.

-Chuck
Old 12-02-2003, 06:49 PM
OCD Certified

A brand new set of 6 Grover gold tuners runs about $40. Or you can just change the buttons to ebony for about $20. Both drop in replacement items without mod.
Gretsch Way-Out-West
Old 12-02-2003, 07:40 PM

If the 810 sounds better to your ears then that should be the guitar to pursue. A quick inspection should reveal if the guitar has been taken care of properly. I'm probably a little biased but I think the 810 is one of the best Taylors out there.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:43 PM
.tom the übergeek

I have a 93 810 and it is KILLER!!!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:48 PM

take the 810....if you don't like it after a couple of years...

put it up for sale and you might just get almost the same value back plus the money can get you another taylor..

you won't go wrong with the rosewood from my experience..
Old 12-03-2003, 12:10 PM

Does anyone have a feel for what a fair asking price might be for this guitar. At this point, I'd give it a 4 out 5 in quality, meaning there are physical blemishes, but none of which affect the guitar's structural integrity.

My email is: [email protected]

Thanks,
-cf
Old 12-03-2003, 03:45 PM

Assuming (1) you have confirmed that the prior owner took care of the instrument and (2) a qualified luthier/repair guy has checked it out to your satisfaction and there are no structural or other major issues, I would echo the sentiments of other users and go for the 810. I have a 1995 810 that is a wonderful instrument, and sounding better, deeper and more resonant all the time. Wood choice and other factors are, of course, matters of personal preference, but to my ears a rosewood 810 (unplugged) is a far better sounding guitar than a maple 3 series. However, if you gig often and need the on-board ES system, then it may be a better choice, since maple guitars generally amplify better and with less feedback than rosewood dreds. I also prefer the older guitars made when Taylor production volume wasn't quite as high as today -- no knock whatsoever though on the new guitars, which I understand continue to meet or exceed the industry's highest standards.

Last edited by Luigi; 12-04-2003 at 03:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion