The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2015, 02:10 AM

I've tried several S&P acoustics including a couple of their Woodland Pro series which are all solid wood. They are decent guitars for someone on a tight budget, but they are not in the same league as Larrivee, Taylor, or upper level Martins. To be fair they are not trying to be at that level. I like them better than the Chinese solid wood guitars such as Blueridge, GuildGAD, Eastman, Recording King, etc. At the prices these sell for, though, I might take a long look at some used Larrivees, Taylors or upper level Martins in perfect condition that may only cost a couple hundred more.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 10-01-2015, 02:33 AM

Hi there

I like them - but I have come across a few that have developed problems with saddles shaved down to the bone and still quite high actions. I am not sure whether this is due to movement in the neck or the top. Several of them reside in a local guitar shop and have done for years.

Having said that, it is not the norm and the good ones have been great guitars and my out and out favourite is the cedar topped dread with laminate cherry b/s. One of the cheaper models but to me the most lively and musical. all just personal taste of course.

Here is a clip of an artist who really knows how to coax the sweet tone out of this model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePp93pq8Pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDwRiMekmQY

Great model that. I might have one in my future! :-)

Pete
Old 10-01-2015, 03:50 AM

One of my first guitars 20+ years ago was a S&P pro flame maple. Its the only guitar I regret selling. That said Godin seems to have changed a lot over the years (they use to be Lasido). At one time S&P could give Larrivee a run for their money. S&P brand was the premier line of the then Lasido company that made La Patrie, Norman, Seagull and S&P.

Back to the OP
The ASW line of S&P are great guitars at any price, the only thing that stops me from buying one is the neck profile.
The Yamaha L Series has a nice thin 1 3\4 neck profile.
The S&P is chunkier, I'm not sure of the nut width.
Sound wise the S&P has a woodier richer tone.
JM2C
Thanks
Mackenzie&Marr "Opeongo"-spruce/mahogany
Old 10-01-2015, 05:27 AM

I see them all the time in student hands as well as pro hands. Great bang for the buck as everyone says.

I've had a few over the years and have an all solid top back and sides mahogany folk size right now. Lovely to see, hear, and hold.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed in any S&P model.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
I used to own this one. I liked it a lot, though I traded it for a nylon string guitar.

They make pretty good, affordable guitars.
That was a very enjoyable vid! Thanks for sharing.

Danny
Old 10-01-2015, 08:16 AM

Woodland Pro Folk is what got me back into guitar after years of not playing. I'd still have it except I prefer a wider nut. The sound is way beyond it's price.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
That was a very enjoyable vid! Thanks for sharing.

Danny
Agreed. Very cool.

And now I want some whiskey..
Old 10-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basque View Post
Agreed. Very cool.

And now I want some whiskey..
I stop at three cups of coffee these days. Maybe a beer or two at most. Or a nip of tequila. The good stuff.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2018, 05:41 PM

To the person that said S&P guitars are not jn the same league as Martin, Tayor and Larrivee I respectfullyp and totally disagree. He certainly hasn't played my Showcase. I can't stand this painting all guitars with the same brush mentality.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:40 PM

Zombie thread but a good topic so I'll post. I have 3 Simon & Patricks and I think they're very nice guitars. I was fortunate to find all 3 used and bought them on the first or second strum because of the way they felt and sounded.

One day I hope I make it to the factory in Quebec.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:00 PM

The S&P Songsmith dreadnought is a popular seller in Canada. Laminate cherry back and sides with pressure tested solid spruce top & Adirondack bracing; comfortable guitar to hold with slightly shorter scale akin to Gibson’s 24 3/4. Easy to play, good sound, quality entry level instrument.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:00 PM

S & P and Seagull are similar. The biggest difference is the Seagull has a wider neck. S & P is 1.72 and the Seagull is 1.8. There are a few exceptions but for most models, this holds true.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:10 AM

Yeah that 'three cups of coffee' was great. Nice S&P that is very much like a Gibson j45.

I recently looked at some 'Showcase' S&P dreads after seeing pics of the maple model right here on AGF. They sadly did not have the maple model in stock but they had other showcases. Looked super nice at a good price. Sound wise they did not have the specific dreadnought bass punch I was looking for.

For the same money I went for a used Larrivee D40re dreadnought over the new Showcase. The Larrivee was half it's new price, and in a whole different sound class.

If you absolutely want a new guitar at a good price check them out. Owners love them.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 PM

Default I've been shopping for an S&P...

... and, glory be, I found the one right at home, through CL. Appropriately, on St. Patrick's Day today! Maybe I'll name it "the Saint." It's a mere Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cedar over that familiar Wild Cherry (what's the Latin name for that species? I thought so). Be that as it may and despite its laminations, this very basic guitar delivers! Chords hum very coherently, like a Gibson, even with years-old strings. With fresh ones, it shimmers and sings. Cedar can give such rich and interesting tones. I loved the sound of my old cedar S6, but hated the shape. Jumbos and mini j's are my sweet spot, until the good folks at Godin bother to make some 12-fret OOOs.

This S&P immediately feels like a keeper; I think it's going to displace a spruce maple Jumbo With No Name that I was quite excited about a few months ago. If so, and I can recover that guitar's costs, I'll come out way ahead.

My used S&P was barely played and flawless, and came with a Gator case, a tuner, worth about nothing next to my iphone, and a stand I've been needing. The price? $225. So happy I live in Denver, where we don't know much about the nice things that come down from Canada. Someday, I really want to try a more expensive guitar, but these kind of values don't leave me an excuse to spend more.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 03-17-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:22 PM

Are Simon and Patrick guitars any good?

I did like their 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' album.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion