The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Beautiful! Congratulations!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

APPLAUSE!!! Congrats Johnathan. You made a GREAT decision. The D-28 spoke to you. There is no parallel for that. I am in fact becoming increasingly aware that I get seduced by the Piano tone ...but also LOVE the woodier, more organic tone that sounds like a "Guitar".

WELL DONE!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
What I started to learn about each was that the D-28 was more dynamic. I could play it soft, but I could really dig in and it gave up the goods. The HD seemed to fart out and get very mushy and scooped. The midrange in the D-28 stayed tight and the guitar was just more clear, balanced, and woody.
I used to own an HD-28 several years back and the one I had was an incredible example, but it was not good when capoed AT ALL, and you're also spot on about it "farting out, getting mushy and scooped" beyond a certain threshold.

Great review, nice looking wood on the D-28 you chose, and looks right at home next to your J-45. You're set!

Happy Birthday, btw

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 10-21-2018, 07:32 AM

Congrats on a great looking guitar. She's a real beauty and you'll have a lifetime of enjoyment with it.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 10-21-2018, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Great choice Shades! I've played several examples of the new D28 as well as A/B with the HD and came away every time preferring the D over the HD...better balance and punch for sure. I have never really desired forward shifted combined with scalloped bracing in a rosewood dread. The new D28 is just right and the several I've played have been consistently wonderful. Plus the antique white binding is so much nicer then the stark white of the old version. You have a handsome pair there Blue and certainly cover the tone zone...enjoy!

eric
Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 AM

Congrats! Enjoy the new D28.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 AM

Happy birthday. You got to go with your gut and not with price or specs.
I was able to get a Guitar Center acoustic room all to myself for an hour, and I was able to play their best Taylor - 812 I think, Gibson J45, and a Martin HD28 and the D18, and I liked the D18 the most. It checked all the boxes of sustain, dynamic range, and overall tone.
I've never played the D28, and I hope to soon.
You're a lucky duck! You don't have to go back to the store to play your Martin.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Default The new...

Martin has really upped their game since they FINALLY FINALLY ONCE AGIN IN PRE WAR FASION scalloped the braces on the D-18 a few years ago. I have "too many" Martins...and I have a couple amazing D-28's...BUT!!....I'd still love to have the "new" version of the
D-28...I think it would make a great gigging guitar with a K&K installed. Enjoy your new D-28....Martin is on the right track...
Old 10-22-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Great choice Shades! I've played several examples of the new D28 as well as A/B with the HD and came away every time preferring the D over the HD...better balance and punch for sure. I have never really desired forward shifted combined with scalloped bracing in a rosewood dread. The new D28 is just right and the several I've played have been consistently wonderful. Plus the antique white binding is so much nicer then the stark white of the old version. You have a handsome pair there Blue and certainly cover the tone zone...enjoy!

eric
Thanks!

The HD was undoubtedly the more beautiful guitar. There is something inside of me that jumps first to aesthetic, and I tried so hard to fight that instinct. I actually told the sales guy I wanted the HD and we almost walked out with it. I am SOOO glad I sat down and tried the D-28 again. I would have sold the HD in a few months because it sounds so similar to what I'm used to and apparently I don't bond with the scalloped/Rosewood combo.

Some of you guys might remember my story of my late father-in-law and how we used to play together at churches before he passed. He had a D-28 and that guitar is the best sounding guitar I've ever played. This guitar sounds as close as I can get in a new guitar. Maybe it will sound closer as it opens up, and I can't wait for that because it is so good now!
Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 AM

Congrats on the NGD.

Over the years I always thought I'd get a HD28 because every time I played one I was seduced by the big bass and the sweet highs. I eventually bought a D28 for exactly the same reasons as the OP and have never regretted it. It's all about the dynamics!
Old 10-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Thanks!

The HD was undoubtedly the more beautiful guitar. There is something inside of me that jumps first to aesthetic, and I tried so hard to fight that instinct. I actually told the sales guy I wanted the HD and we almost walked out with it. I am SOOO glad I sat down and tried the D-28 again. I would have sold the HD in a few months because it sounds so similar to what I'm used to and apparently I don't bond with the scalloped/Rosewood combo.

Some of you guys might remember my story of my late father-in-law and how we used to play together at churches before he passed. He had a D-28 and that guitar is the best sounding guitar I've ever played. This guitar sounds as close as I can get in a new guitar. Maybe it will sound closer as it opens up, and I can't wait for that because it is so good now!
Your decision is well founded with great consideration. and you let your ears and inspiration guide you. There is nothing more valid or valuable. Well done my friend. I am thrilled for you. You chose wisely!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations - fabulous guitar!

Your wife is akin to Yoda....very wise. ;-)
Old 10-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on the new D-28. It seems you chose wisely!
Old 10-22-2018, 04:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats. Somes likes vanilla, somes like strawberry.

sm
Old 10-22-2018, 11:24 PM

Congrats on the new D-28. You're gonna love it!

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion