The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
That's not an Alvarez; that's an Alvarez Yairi! That's no slouch guitar!
What is the difference between an Alvarez and Alvarez Yairi? I have an old guitar - label says Alvarez by Kauzuo Yairi. Bought new in 1973. I repaired a couple cracks on the soundboard next to the fingerboard (a couple of little braces added). I had some custom inlay work done in the 70s - some simple ivy leaves. Model 5080.

I did contact Alvarez about it's value, but they said it's so old, they have no records. It's a nice little guitar and play well. Not bad for $327 (with a hard case!).
Old 05-16-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Jklotz, you’ve demonstrated your lack of greed and purity of motive. All you’re going to do by continuing to protest is piss the guy off. Something I learned over the years is that when someone wants to give me an instrument, trying to turn it down only alienates them.

Seriously - turn the guitar down and you might well lose the gentleman as a fan.

So I’d suggest that you accept the guitar, say “Thank you very much,” and leave it at that. Your benefactor has graciously decided upon a generous course of action; now it’s your turn to graciously accept.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
You nailed it. Sometimes a sincere “thank you” really means a lot to the giver. It conveys appreciation worth more than money.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:30 PM

Thank him for the generous gift, and enjoy it...

My Grandma used to say "Sometimes the nicest thing you can do for somebody is to allow them to do something nice for you..."
Old 05-16-2021, 03:52 PM

Take the guitar as everyone above said. I have a hard time excepting gifts as well, but I just put myself in their shoes and think about how good it feels to pass along something special to someone who would really appreciate it. Gratitude is all the reward he needs and maybe a gift in return can create a mutual appreciation.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:34 PM

Yeah. Accept the gift and make a point of playing it if you see him in the crowd.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-16-2021, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

The gift of this guitar means something to the donor. Graciously accept it.

Perhaps you can work it into your performances so he can enjoy it from the other side of the soundboard.

Please let us know how it goes....photos etc.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 05-16-2021, 06:46 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhino41 View Post
. It will always serve as a reminder of the better side of humanity.
As someone who was gifted an incredible instrument via this forum, I can assure you this is true. I remember the kindness every time I open the case. It's brought me out of the "dumps" more than once.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:51 PM

Sure enough, the guy strolls out to the patio where I was playing today, guitar in hand. No case, missing a few strings and not quite as clean as I had thought. Took 2 applications of naptha and steel wool to get the gunk off the fretboard. The nut came off with the strings, so I had to reglue that. Frets are tarnished, tuning machines are loose and rattling and there is not much saddle showing above the bridge. Still nothing I can't get back in shape with a little time and elbow grease, unless it needs a neck reset. Frets don't show much wear. Somebody incorrectly put a strap button on the heel of the neck, causing a little crack, which concerns me a little. I'm going to get it cleaned up tonight then let the glue set and string it up in the morning and see how it is.

Photo is not great. Can you see the crack from the strap button? Any idea how to fix this?

Old 05-16-2021, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Very nice!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 05-16-2021, 08:13 PM

It's a beauty, and has clearly gone to a good home.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:50 PM

You’ve done the right thing, and now you’ve rescued a guitar that - from the sounds of it - definitely needed rescuing. So continue with your restoration, buy it a case, and have fun with it.

Talk to him and find a night when your superfan will be there, and play some songs on it when he’s there. I don’t think that you need to work it into your act on a regular basis - it’s one more thing to have to lug to the gig - but you should make sure he understands that.

Anyway, it’s a happy ending all the way around.

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: Getting a case or at least a gigbag for it is basically essential.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

It looks good so far. I think I'd get a professional opinion on the heal crack, but the guitar looks beautiful. Looking forward to seeing what you think when you start playing it.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

If you can't click with it. Pass it on to someone who will. Maybe Guitars For Vets

Only thing better than the feeling of someone giving you a guitar.

Is the feeling you get when you give one to someone who truly appreciates it.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
What is the difference between an Alvarez and Alvarez Yairi? I have an old guitar - label says Alvarez by Kauzuo Yairi. Bought new in 1973. I repaired a couple cracks on the soundboard next to the fingerboard (a couple of little braces added). I had some custom inlay work done in the 70s - some simple ivy leaves. Model 5080.

I did contact Alvarez about it's value, but they said it's so old, they have no records. It's a nice little guitar and play well. Not bad for $327 (with a hard case!).
Alvarez is a brand created by St Louis Music, that sold (and still sells) import guitars.

Kazuo Yairi was a Japanese luthier who let St Louis Music (Alvarez) distribute his guitars in the U.S. They are sold as Alvarez-Yairi (although most people just call them "Yairi's").
Old 05-17-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

Kazuo Yairi (RIP) was one of the most renowned guitar luthiers in Japan, and his guitars are pretty highly regarded (even though many of them have laminate back & sides). That 5080 is surely worth more than you paid for it. Inflation alone takes $327 in 1973 to nearly $2,000 today. I don't think it's worth that much, but I did see a 1973 in "very good" condition that sold in the neighborhood of $1,400 not too long ago.

Google "Kazuo Yairi." Very interesting story!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion