The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-11-2023, 12:41 PM

Default Fender Tone Master Princeton Reverb 1x10" 12-watt Combo Amp

Interested in this Fender Tone master Princeton Reverb. I have a 1973 Princeton Reverb tube amp that I do like very much. But looking at this amp and reading about it online and YouTube--I kind of like the idea of a D.I. out and the attenuation. And it is a bit lighter weight, though I am not so concerned about that issue. I'm thinking I would keep the '73 and use this one for playing out. I suppose this might be a crazy idea. Anyone use this amp or have experience with it. Could it really keep pace with my 73 Princeton in terms of tone, volume, etc? And build quality of newer amps is another question. Thoughts, comments?
Old 12-11-2023, 01:01 PM

I have a Deluxe (Blonde version)

I like it a lot. My son has both a tube and the TM version

They really do sound very close

the power attenuator is really nice and I appreciate the fact that it's very light. I'm not getting any younger and 23 lbs is a lot easier to hump around than 40

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 12-11-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

I have the Princeton Tone Master you’re considering. A good friend had a tube Princeton when we were in high school and college so I have some experience with the tube version, but I never played out with it and never really cranked it. I love the TM version, but I’m a home player these days and my priority is on good sound at low volume rather than playing at gigging volumes. It sounds great at condo volumes and has a wonderful overdriven tone, either from cranking the volume (at highly attenuated levels) or from an OD pedal. I’ve heard that it doesn’t handle hard core distortion/fuzz pedals very well, but I don’t play that way anymore and haven’t tried it myself. I also use the DI out for recording and it works brilliantly - you could probably go straight through that into a board or PA, depending on the sound setup where you’re playing.

Again, I love it for my purposes, but it sounds like your needs are very different than mine, so you probably need to try it for yourself…

-Ray
Old 12-11-2023, 02:08 PM

We have an older all tube Princeton Reverb and my son and I recently tried the Tone Master. Both are great products.

I can't say no to not getting that Tone Master but this might be worth considering if you already have a Princeton Reverb for playing out. The Tone Master is still physical bulk others are not. A Princeton or at least tube version doesn't have effects loop but the wonderful for small places Yamaha THRs do. Small physical size with nice tone at home is nice. There the Yamaha THR and Spark Mini are just fantastic.

If you use backing tracks, have drum machine or pedal like a Trio or output from a tablet there is more reasons for why we like those small home amps.

Put simply, I consider the classic and modern Princeton amp products as excellent. It is just that we find that other stuff wonderful for home and practice use to be so great. Both the Yamaha and Spark also have tone and richness or pleasure plus reverb a lot of other small/home amps don't always have.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have to apologize as I was rushed and forgot to add that I play in a duo with my brother. We play mostly acoustic music with guitar, dobro and banjo. But we use the electric more and more. We play a blend of folk, country, blues and some rock tunes. So I maybe that helps in voicing thoughts on this issue.
Old 12-14-2023, 11:26 AM

I don't own a TM Princeton, but I spent some time with one in a music store and I was shocked at how much I liked it. I didn't get to try the DI out w/ cab sim but I remain very curious about that feature. As to tone, feel, and sound though, it was remarkable. I was running an Ibanez archtop into it and I was able to get a nice saturated jazz tone at low volume.

I kind of really want one, but for pure portability I've also looked into all of the new amp/cab sim pedals that have hit the market this year, and I remain on the fence!
Old 12-14-2023, 02:36 PM

I've cited this guy before and got crushed for it, but here's a candid look at the Fender Tone Master series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tztvEQH6U_Y

Yes, they are good amps. But, I think it's safe to say that he prefers the reissues to the Tone Masters.

Last edited by AX17609; 12-14-2023 at 02:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars