The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-05-2023, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Counterfeit "Gibson" ES-335

Ran across a counterfeit "Gibson" ES-335 at a swap meet yesterday - at least I figure it was a fake because the seller wanted $300, not $3,000.

It had a flawless tobacco burst finish, everything looked new and the action was fine. But I moved on quickly because I'm no longer a serial-buyer/seller/trader (especially with electrics) these days.

I'm not second-guessing my decision. Just wondering... might that have been a decent-playing fun toy to have, or just a crappy unwanted millstone hanging around my neck? Was that a decent price? Anybody here own one?

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-05-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I have a '75 ES-345, so quite similar to a 335. It is a wonderful guitar, and I modified it with coil taps to achieve a decent single-coil sound when I want it. It's my only electric and serves me very well.

$300? Yikes! That's pretty darned cheap, alright... I suppose not completely out of the question, but in this day and age, it's very easy to ascertain approximate values of guitars, so it's nearly unfathomable that someone might have a valuable one and sell it so inexpensively... still...

No, I don't think you'd be saddled with a millstone around your neck if you had bought it. Even if it was an Epiphone copy or other knock-off - if it played and sounded good, you would be ahead of the game!

A reference point: In 1969, I bought my first electric guitar at a swap meet in SoCal... a big orange Gretsch! The guy didn't have a case for it, but only wanted $35!!! I bought it immediately - only occurring to me later that it must have been "hot as a $2 pistol" - sigh... I was 18 and easily excitable would be my only defense... just to say that unusually good prices have been known to happen!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-05-2023, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I have a '75 ES-345, so quite similar to a 335. It is a wonderful guitar, and I modified it with coil taps to achieve a decent single-coil sound when I want it. It's my only electric and serves me very well.

$300? Yikes! That's pretty darned cheap, alright... I suppose not completely out of the question, but in this day and age, it's very easy to ascertain approximate values of guitars, so it's nearly unfathomable that someone might have a valuable one and sell it so inexpensively... still...

No, I don't think you'd be saddled with a millstone around your neck if you had bought it. Even if it was an Epiphone copy or other knock-off - if it played and sounded good, you would be ahead of the game!

A reference point: In 1969, I bought my first electric guitar at a swap meet in SoCal... a big orange Gretsch! The guy didn't have a case for it, but only wanted $35!!! I bought it immediately - only occurring to me later that it must have been "hot as a $2 pistol" - sigh... I was 18 and easily excitable would be my only defense... just to say that unusually good prices have been known to happen!
It clearly said Gibson on the headstock. But, sellers at these events know prices intimately, so I'm convinced that it was a fake as is my (rare) black Marquis LP (I call it my "Less" Paul). It plays and sounds better than my last Gibson Studio, which I sold just for that reason.

If I still played electric, I'd have probably offered him $200. Oh well.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:02 PM

They are known as "Chibson" guitars.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-05-2023, 03:03 PM

If the body and action were flawless as you say, 300 would be worth it just for the body. Changing pickups is pretty easy, if that’s the kind of thing you like to do.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
They are known as "Chibson" guitars.
I used to see "Fenlers" in the Philippines circa 1978, lol. Never actually played one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
If the body and action were flawless as you say, 300 would be worth it just for the body. Changing pickups is pretty easy, if that’s the kind of thing you like to do.
Rehabilitating instruments is a lot of fun actually. I used to be fearless and proficient at acquiring electric mutts and broken beauties to repair/adjust them, resulting in some strong players. Very satisfying. If I were still playing in rock bands I might've jumped yesterday. But alas...

No sense of any missed opportunity. I'm just curious if it would've been a fun toy IF I were still playing on the north side of 70dB 2-3 times a week. (Note the username) I'm all acoustic these days.

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-05-2023 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:32 PM

Most models by the major manufacturers, both acoustic and electric, are sporadically available on the import websites such as Alibaba and AliExpress. Many are sold for as low as 10% of regular U.S. retail pricing. You even get a hard case and they often come with all the "hang tags" and even warranty cards. Just don't try and register them, you'll be disappointed!

Taylor even has a page on their website to educate potential purchasers about counterfeit instruments.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:43 AM

I think yes, no way a USA made 335 can be had for that kind of money.

If in person, a counterfeit is easy to spot by seeing what tool is needed to adjust the truss rod. The wrong answer is an Allen Wrench.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-06-2023, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

I own an ES-335 built in 1978 and it's an excellent guitar. Even back in '78 I paid about $700 for my Gibson ES-335, so if that guitar is not a fake, $300 is a great price.

As you have noted, current price on a Gibson ES-335 is about $3,500.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars