The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-18-2022, 01:53 AM
Charter Member

@ Steve DeRosa

Thanks Steve!

"Coaxing the velvet out"; now there's a metaphor I can relate to. I brush the bridge with my palm for reference and do a lot of palm muting on my A&L 000. After a couple of hours on the 5th Avenue I found myself naturally coming off the bridge and playing further towards the neck, brushing the pick guard with my pinky and ring finger for location reference as I listened to the guitar. It was a bit less accurate for me, but that will come quickly.

I went through a ton of picks, and will probably go through them all again after the bridge change.

I finished last night singing "Wonderful Tonight". I have a very paired back simple arrangement - listening to the guitar it was like playing through an old valve amp.

I'm no more than a campfire hack player/singer and never will be any more than that. So this venture into a cheap archtop is a punt. I do though really want to find my own "sound" and have a local singing and playing package that is uniquely me for our little open mic's, pub sessions and parties.

That's if we are still here after the next few hours. Storm Eunice is building outside and the peak is going to rip through at lunchtime!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 02-18-2022 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:21 PM

A Bluegrass Flat pick tune on my 1948 Epiphone Broadway. DAddario -Light gauge Phosphor Bronze strings. Love all them old Arch tops. https://youtu.be/ClSFktjLI0w

Last edited by Sage Runner; 05-10-2022 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

As suggested by Steve DeRosa I have managed this afternoon to fit a rosewood bridge to the Godin 5th Avenue I picked up a couple of days ago. It has made a world of difference to the guitar - I feel that it has rolled the brittle top end off.

I can sort of play it now. The guitar is (unsurprisingly) still tripping me up all over place. And I'm tending to palm mute it more than it actually needs. But it is very early doors. It is going to take me quite a while to get this instrument sussed; that's if I decide to keep it.

I think it has a tone that I can work with, but it is difficult to say. I recorded the guitar this evening, just using a Zoom H5 balanced on the back of a chair in my living room. I stood back about 8 ft and played and sang - I think that the mic's were pointing a little low and towards the guitar rather than voice. Either that or the guitar punches well above its weight!!!

I'm just a campfire hack, no more than that, so this recording was just so I could listen to this cheap archtop and start to decide if the instrument works for me. It has a very interesting timbre. The problem, as ever, is that any guitar I play sounds like me playing guitar!!!! I kept moving the capo up between songs to see how it sounded.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops