The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-13-2022, 03:23 AM

Default Mic recommendations for Open Mic

I am taking over the hosting an open mic night two weeks today. I am setting up for two vocal mics as duos regularly turn up.

I gig with a Sennheiser e945 but don’t want to use that for the open mics.

The second back up mic will be an AKG D5 which I have, I’m looking to buy a mic which will be the main mic. I was going to just get a Shure SM58 as they are pretty bomb proof and don’t sound too bad.

Unless anyone can recommend a dynamic vocal mic:

Costs the same or less than an SM58
Durable - will need to be wiped down after every person due to covid
Good sound for vocals

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 01-13-2022, 03:42 AM

I have an Audix F50 that’s surprisingly nice for the price - it was a Stupid Deal. That’s what I set up for “guests,” but I’m not unhappy to sing into it myself. It takes about the same settings as my Beta 58, which is handy for setup.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 01-13-2022, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogsNRoses View Post
I have an Audix F50 that’s surprisingly nice for the price - it was a Stupid Deal. That’s what I set up for “guests,” but I’m not unhappy to sing into it myself. It takes about the same settings as my Beta 58, which is handy for setup.
I’ve just had a look and there is a new one for less than half the price of an SM58 here in the UK. Thank You I’ll put this on the shortlist!

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 01-13-2022, 06:09 AM

The AKG D5 is actually a very good mic and easily matches the SM58 for sound and build quality. With AKG’s travels around the conglomerates (Harmon, now Samsung) I have no idea where they are made these days but I have two that are around 11 years old and they are still solid and reliable.

Of course, any one turning up at an open mic is not going to surprised or disappointed if there are a couple of SM58s there.

I agree by the way: the Sennheiser is an excellent mic.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-13-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
...will need to be wiped down after every person due to covid
Consider buying a load of sponge pop-filters/shields and give all singers one each to hold onto and put over the (wiped) mic when their time comes. There may (not) be a slight difference in sound but not significant and not worth dying for.

Wash all with soapy water, rinse with mouthwash, leave to dry.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:34 AM

The sennheiser e840 is the sleeper mic in the 800 range. It sounds almost identical to the 935, and can be found for $100 or less used.

I prefer it to the Shure sm58.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:48 AM

Sennheiser e-835
Old 01-13-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I am taking over the hosting an open mic night two weeks today. I am setting up for two vocal mics as duos regularly turn up.

I gig with a Sennheiser e945 but don’t want to use that for the open mics.

The second back up mic will be an AKG D5 which I have, I’m looking to buy a mic which will be the main mic. I was going to just get a Shure SM58 as they are pretty bomb proof and don’t sound too bad.

Unless anyone can recommend a dynamic vocal mic:

Costs the same or less than an SM58
Good sound for vocals
For your purposes consider the Behringer XM-8500. Really.

Less than $20 including shipping, I bought a couple of these and was shocked at how good they are. Don't take my word for it, read the user reviews.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:41 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
The AKG D5 is actually a very good mic and easily matches the SM58 for sound and build quality. With AKG’s travels around the conglomerates (Harmon, now Samsung) I have no idea where they are made these days but I have two that are around 11 years old and they are still solid and reliable.

Of course, any one turning up at an open mic is not going to surprised or disappointed if there are a couple of SM58s there.

I agree by the way: the Sennheiser is an excellent mic.
Absolutely agree on the D5 I’ve had this one for around 7 years. I suppose I could pick up a 2nd on just thinking something different out there that may be better for the money

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 01-13-2022, 10:16 AM

One huge argument for a Shure Beta57 or Beta58 is the fact that you can go on eBay and get replacement metal domes for incredibly inexpensive prices. I personally prefer the Beta56 because of the way it fits on a mic stand. It has the same mic element and dome as a Beta57.

Also, I’ve started using these. They don’t change the sound at all as far as I can hear, and they are hardly noticeable. I joke about them being my “mic condoms”:

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Di...85&sr=8-6&th=1
Old 01-13-2022, 10:23 AM

Heil PR20 UT, Blue Encore 100, EV ND76, EV Co9.

The Heil is best suited for female vocals in my experience. It is a great looking, fairly lightweight mic.

The Blue Encore 100 is built beefier than the 58 and is heavy, but works great. Doesn't have the woofy mid of the 58. Works great for many applications.

EV ND76 is a little over $100 at $129, but has a nice feel to it. Resists feedback very well, especially in loud environments. No handling noise.

The Co9 is a good budget mic. GC used to sale price these under $40. Nice 58 copy with a pretty flat response.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
For your purposes consider the Behringer XM-8500. Really.

Less than $20 including shipping, I bought a couple of these and was shocked at how good they are. Don't take my word for it, read the user reviews.
I’ve just had a look these are also very cheap here in the UK. Looks like a lot have stood the test of time also..

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 01-13-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Heil PR20 UT, Blue Encore 100, EV ND76, EV Co9.

The Heil is best suited for female vocals in my experience. It is a great looking, fairly lightweight mic.

The Blue Encore 100 is built beefier than the 58 and is heavy, but works great. Doesn't have the woofy mid of the 58. Works great for many applications.

EV ND76 is a little over $100 at $129, but has a nice feel to it. Resists feedback very well, especially in loud environments. No handling noise.

The Co9 is a good budget mic. GC used to sale price these under $40. Nice 58 copy with a pretty flat response.
The Blue Encore 100 is on offer at a shop I have some loyalty points for so I might have to plump for that one!

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 01-13-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
(edited for focus)
Good sound for vocals
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Consider buying a load of sponge pop-filters/shields and give all singers one each to hold onto and put over the (wiped) mic when their time comes. There may (not) be a slight difference in sound but not significant and not worth dying for.

Wash all with soapy water, rinse with mouthwash, leave to dry.
I played at an open mic and the venue had a bunch of the sponge pop/wind filters they sold to the singers for $1 (I suppose that was close to cost) if they did not have their own mic or filter with them.

Even cheaper (but uncertain as to how sanitary) would be to make covers out of paper napkins, plastic bags or the like. Or use one of those pop filters that stands a couple of inches away from the mic (not practical for a singer hand-holding the mic or for singers who like to kiss the mic).

I know these latter ones are ad-hoc and probably would not get the approval from the CDC or WHO, but depending on how "formal" the venue is should do the job. It is not like air is being forced through the (paper or cloth) material or the sound quality (through plastic) is as critical as a commercial recording. One could slip a (non-lubricated) condom over the mic for each singer and I expect the sound quality would be virtually unaffected and resistance to disease transmission even better than a foam filter.

(edit) or a box of food-handler's gloves or medical exam or surgical gloves would work as well as the condoms sans the "ick" factor. ... or thin plastic wrap (one brand name, "Saran Wrap") secured with a rubber band. Super cheap.

Caveat/Disclaimer: Most of the above are my wild-*** thoughts with no medical training or support. But I figure a piece of paper towel or napkin would provide protection for the limited exposure time at an open mic.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; 01-13-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

We used to run two SM 58s for vocals, with a 57 as backup if we ever needed a third mic. Worked fine. You need a mic like a Shure SM 58 because, unlike an Audix OM 5 I have, you don't need to get right up on it to sound OK. Keep in mind many folks don't know how to sing into a mic, so give them a break. We opened back up for a month or so last summer, and we had a devise that used UV light to detox the mic, and we added another 58 to swap out. Don't quote me on the UV thing. And be aware that singing is by nature spreading things around, so be as safe as you can.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification