The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2022, 05:47 AM

Default K&K Pure Mini - Does not work!

Hi All.

I recently installed a K&K Pure Mini in my Taylor GS Mini. The installation went well and I precisely followed the instructions provided with the pickup. I used Gorilla Super Glue Gel as the adhesive.

To tune the guitar, I plugged it into my tc electronic tuner but no signal was getting through. So I then plugged the guitar into my Boss Katana amp. Again, nothing.

The trouble shooting section in the manual said this issue was most likely associated with the endpin jack. I had ensured a few threads were poking out beyond the endpin. Nonetheless, I loosened the strings and pulled the endpin jack out of the sound hole to eliminate this possible issue. Still nothing.

So, I then tried my Focusrite Scarlett. I also tried different leads. Still nothing.

I noticed that if I banged the bridge really quite hard with my finger, something could be heard but other than that, not a peep.

I am annoyed and frustrated at this outcome. It might have been useful for the instructions to have specified some sort of test to confirm the pickups were working before super gluing them to the bridge!

So, now I have pickups which don't work and a product I can't return for refund (cost £109 from Andertons Music Co). And I have pickups super glued to the underside of the bridge of my GS Mini which are going to be difficult to remove.

Not a happy bunny! I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how I can improve this situation.

For instance, is there a way I can test the pickups using a multi-meter, to confirm where the issue lies? How difficult is it to remove the pickups from the underside of the bridge without damaging the guitar? I assume removing the pickups will damage them. Is it possible to buy replacements (I live in the UK)?

Many thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Regards, Phill
Old 01-16-2022, 07:17 AM

Did this come with the endpin jack already soldered on? Soldering the pickup to the jack is usually where there are issues.

Have you tried different cords just to make sure it's not a bad cord? Is that what you meant by different leads?

I've installed a whole bunch of SBT's and never had a bad pickup. I believe it's rare but certainly possible to have a bad pickup.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

…it sounds like a short in the wiring to me…..possibly a factory flaw…if every thing looks good at the jack it’s probably somewhere else between the pickups and the jack….and I agree…they should have advised some sort of test before instructing you to glue the transducers to the bridge plate….just a thought…are you certain that you didn’t attach the discs upside down?….
Old 01-16-2022, 08:52 AM

The actual transducers are unlikely to be the problem - all three would have to fail for you to get no signal at all. My guess is that's it's a wiring problem.

Unscrew the endpin jack retaining nut and bring the jack out the soundhole so you can open it up. Check for disconnected wires or short circuits. The DC resistance across the output should indicate open circuit (but so will a broken or disconnected wire). Hopefully the problem will be obvious once you can see the wiring.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:19 PM

Yes, the pickups were provided as a kit. Lead = Cord. I also used my Strat to confirm that the various configurations I tried to test the K&K pickups actually worked with something.

I loosened the strings, unscrewed the endpin jack retaining nut and pulled the jack out the sound hole. I opened it up and was disappointed to see that all looked good.

I plugged in a lead, to which was attached my tuner. I tapped the bridge lightly with my finger and was pleased to see that the tuner was registering a response

Closer examination of the pins in the jack revealed that one was slightly bent such that would short out by touching the jack screw on cap. I bent the pin straight and put everything back together.

Ta dah, it worked. Indeed, when I turned on the amp I got such ear splitting feedback it frightened the cat, who scampered under the bed and would not come out for several hours. Poor Sally.

Some small adjustments to the amp and all was well. Yay!

Incidentally, there is a test that one can try prior to fitting the pickups. K&K suggest you plug the pickups into an amp (or similar) and lightly tap the transducers. You should be able to hear the taps.

It's a pity they don't include this tip in the instructions which come with the pickups.

Many thanks to those who have contributed to this thread.

Regards, Phill
Old 01-17-2022, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Phill, All's Well That Ends Well! I'm so glad it was a simple fix, although it was a frustrating and elusive search for the cause of the problem. Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification