The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2023, 04:39 PM

Default L.R. Baggs M80 vs. Mojotone NC-2

Anyone have experience with both? I've been eyeing a sound hole pickups for a while now and think I've narrowed it down to these two. I like that they both have microphonic components to them. I know mag pickups have an electric twang to them, but I also like how well they pickup the high end, great for fingerstyle without nails (which is mostly how I play).

The NC-2 is pretty new so I don't expect answers to the above, but even if you have experience with one or the other I'd like to hear about it. I've read about every thread and watched every video so maybe I'll just have to buy them both and keep the one I like better.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:07 AM

I’ve had a M80 previously. I’ve just bought a NC-2. I like both. What time finding so far is the NC-2 needs very little EQ to get it sounding how I want.

I much prefer the sound of the NC-2 and being able to blend the Mic in to taste. It’s a really natural sounding pickup. I’ve no idea how they got that sound from a magnetic pickup.

What I will say is the NC-2 is a single coil so it can pick up a bit of noise, the M80 I found to be very quiet and not susceptible to interference from lights, speakers etc.

I also like that the M80 has the jack so it can be taken out of the guitar when not in use. The NC-2 is so light though it really doesn’t affect the acoustic tone of the guitar.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 04-23-2023, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I've gigged both the M80 and NC-1. I like them both, but like the NC-1 more. It has a more natural sound to my ears. I realize it doesn't have the mic of the NC-2, but IMO still sounds better than the M80.

I don't have any issue with noise, the din of the bars more than overpowers the very minimal noise of the pickup.

The NC-1 is so light, much lighter than the M80. For me the biggest advantage the M80 has is that you can disconnect it from the cable.

I personally don't need the mic, and prefer to have a vol control instead of a blend control. But I imagine the mic of the
NC-2 adds another dimension to the sound.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 04-23-2023 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I’ve had a M80 previously. I’ve just bought a NC-2. I like both. What time finding so far is the NC-2 needs very little EQ to get it sounding how I want.
Thank you, I like what you wrote here. A very minimalist pickup is what I'm looking for. It is hard to believe that Mojotone has it dialed in so good without adjustable poles. I guess I'll just have to buy one and try for myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I've gigged both the M80 and NC-1. I like them both, but like the NC-1 more. It has a more natural sound to my ears. I realize it doesn't have the mic of the NC-2, but IMO still sounds better than the M80.

I don't have any issue with noise, the din of the bars more than overpowers the very minimal noise of the pickup.

The NC-1 is so light, much lighter than the M80. For me the biggest advantage the M80 has is that you can disconnect it from the cable.

I personally don't need the mic, and prefer to have a vol control instead of a blend control. But I imagine the mic of the
NC-2 adds another dimension to the sound.
Thanks! I like the idea of the NC-2 a little more. I sometimes play in a small crowd and with the assist of a small amp. The mic on the NC-2 would help pickup a bit more of the nuances of my style of play. I also play in church groups with a much louder bands where I could dial out the mic to taste, or completely even and still have the capabilities of the NC-1.

I've heard the M80 is heavy.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:00 AM

For percussive sound, like drum loop, the mojotone nc2 is good as the Baggs M80? Feedback resistance is also good?
Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification