The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 PM

Default SoloAmp/BagAmp comparison

Last week, I had a chance to do a side-by-side 2 hour comparison of these two excellent amps. I own the SoloAmp. I was playing a Martin OMC-28 Laurence Juber. I'm very familiar with the acoustic sound of my sample of this guitar, as I use it two days a week for class at the college, and I've heard one of my teachers (a SOTA player) play it quite a bit. The pick-up was the D-Tar Multi-Source.

As someone pointed out earlier, the difference in size is somewhat surprising when one first sees them side-by-side. The BA is quite a bit smaller.

Both amps sounded EXCELLENT in the setting. If the other didn't exist, I would be really happy with either. For MY preferences and to MY ears, the BA sounded more like the Martin. The BA's EQ is VERY limited, and at first the SA was winning out, because I was able to "dial in" my tone better on that amp. Then I put the trusty Highlander PAMDI in the chain, which gives one fantastic EQ control, and the BA then won the day.

The "reverb" of the BA is totally useless for the sound that I try to get. If I weren't willing to take a 'verb and the Highlander with me to gigs, the SA would have been the winner. But, I AM willing to do that to get the sound that I want.

In summary, I believe that both amps are excellent, and are a big step forward in easy to carry acoustic amps that can fill a fairly large room. My recommendation is if you are willing to carry along separate EQ and reverb, go with the Bag Amp. If you aren't, go with the SoloAmp. Mine is for sale for an excellent price! ;-)

Jenn
Old 12-29-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post

The "reverb" of the BA is totally useless for the sound that I try to get. If I weren't willing to take a 'verb and the Highlander with me to gigs, the SA would have been the winner. But, I AM willing to do that to get the sound that I want.
;-)

Jenn
You'll be s-s-o-o-r-r-y-y-y-y!! Especially if you have to have a Highlander to tell the difference
Old 12-29-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
You'll be s-s-o-o-r-r-y-y-y-y!! Especially if you have to have a Highlander to tell the difference
I didn't need the Highlander to tell the difference. What I was trying to say was that BA and its eq was not better than the SA with its eq. Insert the same eq into both amps, and I like the BA sound a little more.

Best,
Jenn
Old 12-30-2009, 12:13 AM

Happy New Year, and the best of luck in selling your SoloAmp!

Quote:
I didn't need the Highlander to tell the difference. What I was trying to say was that BA and its eq was not better than the SA with its eq. Insert the same eq into both amps, and I like the BA sound a little more.

Best,
Jenn
Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
Happy New Year, and the best of luck in selling your SoloAmp!
Thanks! It's a really good amp.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the review Jenn.

I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I tried both amps at Jim's Music (although I didn't need a PAMDI ). I just set both amp's EQ flat and it was pretty much a slam dunk winner to my ears for the BA in terms of sound quality. Features and output, the SA was the easy winner. Although the BA was smaller and less expensive, I didn't see that as a big advantage. The SA is still very easy to schlep around and retailers will discount the SAs unlike the BAs which sell at their fixed price (at least, thats what I was told).

For me, I'm going with neither. The QSC K10 is in my future.

Gordon
Old 12-30-2009, 02:15 AM

The only consistent response I've seen up until now is that anyone who has actually heard and/or used the BagAmp comes away impressed by its overall sound and that their positive impressions only increase when A/B'd directly with the SoloAmp (which they give high marks to as well).

FWIW,

geokie8

Last edited by geokie8; 12-30-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHLau View Post
Thanks for the review Jenn.

I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I tried both amps at Jim's Music (although I didn't need a PAMDI ). I just set both amp's EQ flat and it was pretty much a slam dunk winner to my ears for the BA in terms of sound quality. Features and output, the SA was the easy winner. Although the BA was smaller and less expensive, I didn't see that as a big advantage. The SA is still very easy to schlep around and retailers will discount the SAs unlike the BAs which sell at their fixed price (at least, thats what I was told).

For me, I'm going with neither. The QSC K10 is in my future.

Gordon
Hey Gordon,

I found it interesting that you would mention the K10's. I have been reading through all of these posts for the past few months. I have not heard any of the 3 mentioned above yet as I am not quite financially ready to purchase anything right now but I do expect that to change soon. I was wondering, if you have the time, to explain why you would opt for the K10.

BoB

Sorry, I thought I hit the PM link. You can PM me to keep this thread on track.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Jenn, I've been waiting to hear your follow-up on the BA/SA comparison. It sounds like we both have pretty much the same impression of these amps.

One thing I wanted to point out -- I was looking at the owner's manual the other day and saw that they're calling the singular effect on the amp a combination hall reverb and delay. I listened to my amp again, and there is some reverb on the delay (or mixed in with the delay). Although I've been getting used to it over the last few weeks, I think it would have been better if the effect was just a straight reverb. (What they have doesn't sound bad, but why not include an effect that doesn't need to be an acquired taste?)

So you didn't buy the BA yet and you're waiting to sell your other amp first?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerPlucked View Post
One thing I wanted to point out -- I was looking at the owner's manual the other day and saw that they're calling the singular effect on the amp a combination hall reverb and delay. I listened to my amp again, and there is some reverb on the delay (or mixed in with the delay). Although I've been getting used to it over the last few weeks, I think it would have been better if the effect was just a straight reverb. (What they have doesn't sound bad, but why not include an effect that doesn't need to be an acquired taste?)

So you didn't buy the BA yet and you're waiting to sell your other amp first?
I totally agree about the effect.

Yes, I'm pretty much waiting to buy the BA until I sell the SA. The SA will go up on ebay pretty soon if I don't get a "bite" on the boards. It's at a good price, I think.

Best,
Jenn
Old 12-30-2009, 07:22 PM

Your price sounds pretty good. And it's a good amp. It should sell.

Patience is the hard part when you're waiting, not knowing what's going on. If someone could just tell you that you will see absolutely no interest in your ad until 10:26 AM next Tuesday and that person will gladly pay your asking price, you could relax.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Best,
Jenn
Do your normally use the Highlander with your SA's EQ dials set flat or even off? If so, do you do that becuase you think the SA's on-board EQ and effects areen't all that great either?

If you would carry the Highlander with either one, I could see that then it's a wash between the two for portability, and perhaps a slight plus for the BA since it is lighter.

And, given your positive thoughts on the BA, do you think you'd try the BA's sub and mixer when they appear?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 12-30-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:53 PM
*mahoganut*

Thanks for the review, Jenn. And yes, I've considered your SA...! and you wouldn't have to ship it..

Back to this post - thanks for the comparisons, the +/-, and the overall conclusion. Nice and tidy - easy to read, and clear.

And soon I'll have something new to test just such an amp...!

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 12-30-2009, 09:03 PM

Thinking about your SA Jenn as I need one anyway to test/play against or with my Bose Compact and BA on the way and my Bose Classic and some other toys around my house. Hmmmmm...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-31-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerPlucked View Post
Your price sounds pretty good. And it's a good amp. It should sell.

Patience is the hard part when you're waiting, not knowing what's going on. If someone could just tell you that you will see absolutely no interest in your ad until 10:26 AM next Tuesday and that person will gladly pay your asking price, you could relax.
Thanks much, and you're right: waiting is the hard part!

Best,
Jenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification