The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-14-2019, 02:13 AM

Default Interest in acoustic guitar discussion?

... probably because I’m not acquiring and selling any, everyday is better with the acoustic guitars, as they age and I grow into their latent capabilities, and no bad or disappointing sessions at all.

With electric and amps that have never been turned up I’m achieving whisper quiet signal and no detectable noise, and soft action with 9-42 strings is a gas.

Last edited by Jaden; 12-14-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
... probably because I’m not acquiring and selling any....
Sounds like it's time for a 12-string!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-14-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Sounds good! Enjoy.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-14-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Sounds good! Enjoy.
Thanks! I’ll leave the acoustic guitar discussion to the technicians, pros & experts for now/ for a novice like myself, to do is better than to say.

As for electric guitars, I’m impressed with some of the amplification available & pickups and their capabilities.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Lots of great discussions here on the Electric Guitar sub forum. What guitar/amp do you use?
Old 12-14-2019, 12:48 PM

If I'm being honest, I'm in the same group. Over the last year, I'm really getting back into electric after a decent hiatus. I've talked enough acoustics over the last 11 years for a lifetime practically. I still like acoustics, but at the moment, I'm more invested in electrics.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-14-2019, 01:03 PM

A shoulder issue made me sell my acoustics and go to solid body electrics. I simply love my US Tele and Strat along with my Fender Blues Jr IV. I find myself exploring the electric forum more than the acoustic because I simply cannot play the acoustic anymore.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Lots of great discussions here on the Electric Guitar sub forum. What guitar/amp do you use?
My no.1 is a MIM Classic Series ‘50s Lacquer Telecaster white on white pickguard, the only issue I had with it initially was some static from the pickguard picked up and amplified, now alleviated. I think a central issue with electric guitars is pickups and reading online there is always criticism of most stock ones - I’m sure glad I let this guitar “sit” for what it is - has the brightest, most colour and texture/depth I’ve heard, and clear - I value it as highly as my Martin OM for tonal performance.

Last edited by Jaden; 12-14-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
My no.1 is a MIM Classic Series ‘50s Lacquer Telecaster white on white pickguard, the only issue I had with it initially was some static from the pickguard picked up and amplified, now alleviated. I think a central issue with electric guitars is pickups and reading online there is always criticism of most stock ones - I’m sure glad I let this guitar “sit” for what it is - has the brightest, most colour and texture/depth I’ve heard, and clear - I value it as highly as my Martin OM for tonal performance.
Just curious what did you do to alleviate the static noises from the pickguard?

I totally shielded my vintage modified Squier telecaster and it has copper tape stuck all over the back of the pickguard with a good earth connection.
It still crackles though it is less than before the treatment. I'm beginning to think the way to stop it is to keep my fingers from touching the pickguard in the first place.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 12-15-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Just curious what did you do to alleviate the static noises from the pickguard?

I totally shielded my vintage modified Squier telecaster and it has copper tape stuck all over the back of the pickguard with a good earth connection.
It still crackles though it is less than before the treatment. I'm beginning to think the way to stop it is to keep my fingers from touching the pickguard in the first place.
I removed the pickguard and applied a very fine coat of matte white paint spray - the static persisted for a short while after but now is totally gone - a more conventional way is a static guard spray which is used for clothing products. The cheap and thin pickguard doesn’t belong on this top line MIM Telecaster - it’s one way Fender corp tiers it’s products not to exceed, in this case, the ‘52 reissue or MIA American Original. (One of the great things about the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster is the nice thick pickguard and the volume & tone controls are weighted not free spin).
Old 12-15-2019, 10:00 AM

I had that static problem on a couple Teles, easily cured by putting a piece of aluminum foil under the pickguard and having a small strip of it run under the front control cover and held there by the front screw. No more static problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars