The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Default Teaching Abroad

So I’m thinking about getting certified to teach English abroad, perhaps in Japan or Korea (I have a BA in English but will most likely need to obtain a TEFL certification). It would be a big decision to make, obviously, so I’m weighing all my options and trying to get as much info as possible.

Do any of you have experience teaching abroad in any capacity or have any insight on the subject? Any advice is welcome!

Lauren

Old 12-12-2019, 12:05 PM

An ex of mine got her certificate and then went to teach in Thailand for a couple of years. I also had a cousin that taught English in Turkey and now does the same in Saudi Arabia. Both of them found it to be extremely rewarding and loved the kids they had as students and their coworkers were as dedicated and amazing as they were It's a real commitment though and you may not see your family for months (even years) on end so take that into consideration. My cousin is still my cousin but the ex left as my gf but the relationship couldn't survive the distance.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:10 PM

Default Do it!

I taught English as a Second Language in the Peace Corps in Thailand for two years and taught at my university’s campus in Italian Switzerland for three semesters; also taught in Crete and in Russia the year the wall fell. I’ve just retired, but look back on the teaching abroad periods as the most fulfilling parts of a 49 1/2 year teaching career. If you do go, put a lot of effort into learning the language, no matter how hard it is. While people in most places (Japan and Korea may be exceptions) speak English, any effort towards learning the language of the place you are in is deeply appreciated. You might explore the Balkans, and the Peace Corps is a really good experience if you can plan to be away for a couple of years. It’s a respected resume credit, and if it’s the same as when I did it they give you a little pot of money at the end. Don’t forget to take a guitar. It’s the perfect antidote for culture shock and homesickness.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:31 PM

Lauren:

My niece is currently teaching English to grade school kids in Japan, now going on 2 years. I do know that she does not have a teaching certificate nor does she have any teaching credentials. She did major in Japanese in college so maybe that helped her get the job. She loves the job and the experience, but it doesn't pay well, so don't expect to get rich. Its more a labor of love.

Please PM me if you would like her contact information.

regards
Luke
Old 12-13-2019, 01:05 AM

Hi, Lauren, and War Eagle! (Class of '84.)

I taught English part-time, while living in Taiwan in the 90's. I had a work permit through my day job, so it was quiet simple, administratively. Some of my foreign friends there were full-time teachers, either at elementary schools or in the after-school teaching centers. Some stayed long-term, others seem to bounce from country to country. Young and single, they were.

Research the country of interest, but you will most likely need the TEFL certification and teaching experience. While most of the market in Asian countries seems to be teaching young children, there are also university and adult teaching gigs available.

Depending on the country, the employment contract and visa may be the most difficult part of the job. China, for example, typically requires foreign teachers to sign an employment contract for at least one year before arriving. Many of the jobs there provide for housing, which can be a big plus if you're new to that country and have limited language skills.

Cool stuff, if you're adventurous and not in it for the money. I've even considered doing it after retirement.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsepicker View Post
I taught English as a Second Language in the Peace Corps in Thailand for two years....
I was in Peace Corps Kenya, taught English, math, biology. You qualify with a BA degree. Upon return, I applied for and received a lifetime K-12 teaching credential in California, just based on the Peace Corps experience.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi Lauren,
It doesn’t count really that I used to run study abroad programs in Oxford, as the language is similar.

But you’ll have to have a guitar that can travel. Get back to us on advice about that. When I was doing the UK gig, I traveled with a parlor guitar that fit in the overhead bin. But that was when bins were bigger. I’ve had good luck gate-checking my j 50, which lives in a Hiscox case. Your 45 studio would need some padding to adjust to a Hiscox; I think it’s less deep than a 45?

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 12-13-2019, 01:33 PM

My daughter is very fluent in English, Spanish and Korean. She can get by in Japanese. She has learned that in Japan and South Korea, they are mainly hiring people of Japanese or Korean ethnicity and native speakers that are also fluent in English.

A coworker's son has been teaching English in China for a few years with essentially zero initial background in Chinese.

I would contact the local Japanese/South Korean consulate nearest you to inquire.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:28 PM

You should check out the YouTube channel Abroad in Japan. The guy went over as an English teacher, he’s also very entertaining. His older videos might answer a lot of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/cmbroad44

I travelled Japan for three weeks in May, absolutely loved the place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic