The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 05:43 PM

I string my ABT-60 14-60 and tune to C# and I love it. GHS heavy 80/20. It's a very bright string, but I like it so far. We'll see how long they last between changes, I've always been a PB user prior to this.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Default bariton strings

Sounds like we have another interesting choice to explore.

My biggest struggle in this is, I don't actually hate the EXP D'Addario set, I merely wonder if I'll get the same boost in interest that I've had with Retro strings and standard guitars by trying a new mix of materials.

Truth be told, I enjoy the rumble and certain amount of looseness at the lower end, but I'm a "sound glutton" and have to know if maybe it's better at the next stop. Guess I'll do some trial and error and see where I end up.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Baritone Lifespan SP PB's -- a great choice I'm thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have been using Martin Baritone Lifespan strings for over 2 years now and have no reason to look for any other brand. These strings sound great and last a very long time.

I have experimented with replacing the second plain steel string with a wrapped string with mixed results. The wrapped string is softer to the feel but it looses a bit of the shimmer that a plain steel string offers.
Promised to report back. I put on a set of the Martin Baritone Lifespans and they get my vote as well. Tightened things up a bit, so definitely more clarity. And they do a good job with the dark lows as well. Thanks for the recommendation - they're great!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:49 PM

Good to hear. Now for fun, try some brass bridge pins. They help my guitar to reduce some of the muddiness when strumming.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Default baritone strings

I'll think about that one. Not really getting much slurring that I find is in the way. Not saying I won't at some point give it a shot, but for now I'll exploit and savor this very happy change. Cheers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion