The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 AM

Default First time using a pickup - it's not supposed to sound like this, is it?

So I finally got my "recording" setup to work, yet I'm not pleased at all with how it sounds. I'm going through a LR Baggs Anthem to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and then into Reaper without any editing, yet to me it sounds like something is very wrong with the pickup. These are very small recordings of the intros to both "Slide" and "More Than A Feeling", just to show you what I mean:

https://soundcloud.com/pillendreher-1/slide-intro
https://soundcloud.com/pillendreher-...-feeling-intro

I am not plucking any string any differently than the one before, yet the 6th and 5th string completely overpower everything else. Hell, if I just let the bottom two strings ring out, I can't even record the other four properly.

EDIT:

Maestro (the manufacturer of the guitar) just sent me this.

Quote:
The imbalance on the volume of the strings is caused by the saddle not sitting well on the UST. you might want to bring it to a technician to have it balanced.

They just need to sand the saddle to rectify this but you might need someone who is experienced in installing under saddle transducer.

Last edited by Pillendreher; 12-02-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:03 AM

It’s either a saddle issue (A) or the dual source microphone isn’t working. (B)
Sounds more like “B” to me. Sounds like you got all UST.
Did you call Baggs? They are extremely helpful folks.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-02-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It’s either a saddle issue (A) or the dual source microphone isn’t working. (B)
Sounds more like “B” to me. Sounds like you got all UST.
Did you call Baggs? They are extremely helpful folks.
Interesting. Shouldn't I be able to check for the microphone via the

Quote:
A. MIX CONTROL (Mixes between mic and pickup)When the mix control is rolled towards the neck, the Tru • Mic is carrying the majority of the guitar’s voice with the Element pickup supporting only the lowest frequencies.

When rolled towards the bridge, you will hear the full-range Element pickup only.When set at full-range pickup, pay careful attention to string balance. If you notice any inconsistencies in output, refer back to 4. ELEMENT INSTALLATION
or the

Quote:
E. MIC GAIN CONTROL(Adjusts the level of the Tru • Mic relative to the level of the Element)IMPORTANT: Setting this control correctly is vital to the sound of the Anthem system.First, you must roll the mix control completely toward the neck. Play through a P.A. or acoustic amplifi er while you are making adjustments. A small fl at-head jeweler’s screwdriver will be needed.Your amplifi ed tone should be well balanced and true to the acoustic sound and feel of the guitar. If it lacks clarity and top-end, increase the mic’s level by turning the control clockwise. Back it off slightly If you experience excessive handling noise and/or brightness

?

Either way, I'll send LR Baggs an E-Mail just to get their take on the whole thing.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Just call them during business hours and talk with a tech... you'll have your answer immediately!

One thing to note is that the pickup will sound FAR differently when plugged in to an amplifier or PA as opposed to running "straight in" to your interface.

Also, tweaking the Anthem may be necessary - have you gone ahead and done that or are you still using the "Factory" settings? I'm talking about the adjustments available with the pre-amp/control module that you pictured in one reply...

When I bought my Anthem SL, it was explained to me that I'd need/want to tweak the balance while using MY PA or amp so as to get the best sound performance from the unit...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

You’ll probably get much better results using a 1 or 2 mic setup with a pair of small condenser microphones into your Scarlett interface and then into Reaper.

I’ve done what you are trying running a pickup into an interface into a DAW and frankly, the mic approach gives much cleaner and accurate recording.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-02-2019, 01:57 PM

Under saddle transducers do rely upon equal pressure along the transducer for uniform output from string to string.

One easy way to rectify the unevenness of pressure is to place a single sheet of writing/printer paper under the saddle in the area of the too-quiet string(s), in your case, a single strip of paper from 4th to 1st strings. Occasionally, a second thickness is required.

It is an easy, inexpensive thing to try that is reversible if it doesn't fix the issue. If it solves the problem, there is no need to fool with sanding the bottom of the saddle.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Also, tweaking the Anthem may be necessary - have you gone ahead and done that or are you still using the "Factory" settings? I'm talking about the adjustments available with the pre-amp/control module that you pictured in one reply...

When I bought my Anthem SL, it was explained to me that I'd need/want to tweak the balance while using MY PA or amp so as to get the best sound performance from the unit...
Well I tried it a little bit, but it didn't sound like it made much of a difference. I'll give it another try tomorrow though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
You’ll probably get much better results using a 1 or 2 mic setup with a pair of small condenser microphones into your Scarlett interface and then into Reaper.

I’ve done what you are trying running a pickup into an interface into a DAW and frankly, the mic approach gives much cleaner and accurate recording.
Yeah that's probably truet. Yet as of right now, I'm just messing around, taking my first steps in the recording world. And so I figured if the guitar comes with a pickup, might as well use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Under saddle transducers do rely upon equal pressure along the transducer for uniform output from string to string.

One easy way to rectify the unevenness of pressure is to place a single sheet of writing/printer paper under the saddle in the area of the too-quiet string(s), in your case, a single strip of paper from 4th to 1st strings. Occasionally, a second thickness is required.

It is an easy, inexpensive thing to try that is reversible if it doesn't fix the issue. If it solves the problem, there is no need to fool with sanding the bottom of the saddle.
Oh. So let's see if I get this right - you're saying my saddle isn't applying even enough pressure to the "top" of the guitar?

EDIT: Come to think of it, the saddle fell out of the guitar two weeks ago while I was putting on new strings and cleaned it. Is that an indicator for a saddle that's too loose?

Last edited by Pillendreher; 12-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:47 AM

Well I guess now I know why the sound is this whack:

That's the underside of the saddle. Looks a bit like resin and I can actually feel the way the whole thing is coated with it.

Just talked to the shop I bought it at and they're going to fix it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD