The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-01-2019, 06:28 PM

Default The technique behind these harmonics?

Please take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWO2VwjLmpg

at 1:26 the guy is doing (artificial?) harmonics with the pluck from his right-hand finger, while the left hand is fretting the strings. I'd like to incorporate these technique in my live playing, but it's not really clear to me how is it achieved.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post

at 1:26 the guy is doing (artificial?) harmonics with the pluck from his right-hand finger, while the left hand is fretting the strings. I'd like to incorporate these technique in my live playing, but it's not really clear to me how is it achieved.
You place the right index finger lightly on the string an octave (12-frets) above the left hand fretted note. You can use other intervals above as well (such as 4, 5 or 7 frets). You usually pluck the string with your right ring finger. I learned how to do this many years ago during my classical guitar major years. It's been around a while.

Btw... love Crazy Diamond. Have played it years on electric. The live Pink Floyd "Pulse" performance of it is awesome.

Last edited by Red_Label; 12-01-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

"Artificial harmonics". Search this topic. Prior threads on the forum. Info on the internet. With the picking hand (right hand) usually touch the fret with the index and pick closer to the bridge with
the second or third finger.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-01-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Also worth noting is there are several ways to execute the technique - my friend Matt Thomas prefers to pluck with his middle for the harp arpeggios whereas I prefer the angle the ring finger picks at for it's consistency...good to try both and see what you prefer!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 12-01-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
You place the right index finger lightly on the string an octave (12-frets) above the left hand fretted note.
Read that carefully. The harmonic is 12 frets beyond where you have your fretted fingers. That means the harmonics move around in parallel to the shape of the chord you are playing and are not fixed at the 12th fret or any other harmonic spot.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Read that carefully. The harmonic is 12 frets beyond where you have your fretted fingers. That means the harmonics move around in parallel to the shape of the chord you are playing and are not fixed at the 12th fret or any other harmonic spot.
Not really.

Just like an open string where there is a harmonic touch point at 1/2th the string length (12th fret) and at 1/3rd the string length (7th fret) and 1/4th the string length (5th fret), etc., there is the same sequence (albeit on other frets) for artificial harmonics.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 12-02-2019 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-02-2019, 12:30 AM

Old 12-02-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Not really.

Just like an open string where there is a harmonic touch point at 1/2th the string length (12th fret) and at 1/3rd the string length (7th fret) and 1/4th the string length (5th fret), etc., there is the same sequence (albeit on other frets) for artificial harmonics.
True, but I suspect the vast majority of artificial harmonics are octave ones. The ones in this video are.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post

To be precise, the first two harmonics are "artificial" ones, from fretted notes, the second two are "natural" harmonics.

He's fretting 4th string at fret 8 (Bb) and 2nd string at fret 6 (F). He touches those strings over fret 20 and fret 18 (i.e., 12 frets above in each case) with his index and picks with his ring. He then does the same thing over fret 12 on the open G and E strings.

As the others say, there are other combinations of right hand fingers you can use to touch and pick. I usually touch with my index or middle and pick with my thumb. Remember you can pick either side of the "node" (touch point) - bridge side or nut side, the string vibrates in two halves.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write