The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-29-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I noticed in Justin's lessons (in the link that I provided above), that he demonstrates how to play up and down the scale of whatever key you're in whilst holding down an open chord. I think that would help with finding your own melody notes, and it seems like a very good exercise to me.

Here's the link directly to the specific lesson: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-...lations-fo-104

That one is for the major scale, and there is also one for the minor scale.

Of course, playing scales, like patterns, should also be "unlearned", which really means being able to use them for creative purposes without thinking about them.
Thanks, that’s handy.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Thanks Stanron, this looks interesting!

Thanks SprintBob, I'll check out those books. Maybe I took a few comments the wrong way, I would like to break into melody but it's a bit of a source of frustration how hard I find it.
FWIW and IME I find a good structured study program is best and if you are looking for that, Contemporary Travis Picking is one of the best.

Stick with it, play the patterns slowly and accurately and you will see progress.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-30-2019, 04:47 PM

If by "fingerstyle patterns" you mean right hand finger-picking patterns one of the best things you can do is work through the Tarrega studies for the right hand.
They will get your thumb and fingers moving in a variety of permutations, some of which may not feel "natural" at first, but once you get past that feeling and can execute them effortlessly they will free you up to be able to make up and execute your own patterns.

The book Pumping Nylon has a lot of great exercises for both the right and left hands (including the Tarrega studies) which if you work at will greatly improve technical fluency in both hands.
If you can't read music, I think there is a TAB version of it.

Aaron
Old 12-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I’ve only been playing guitar for two and a half years as an adult learner, much as I would rather be a master of fingerpicking melody like Bert Jansch it’s still exceptionally difficult for me to reach that stage so right now patterns are part of the learning process.

This ^^^^^^^^^^
Old 12-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMKC View Post
This ^^^^^^^^^^
Lol. I'm not saying nuttin.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I play both patterns and sometimes break out of patterns. It depends on what the song dictates. As a singer songwriter, sometimes staying to a pattern is just what is needed to keep a rhythm going under the lyrics. Tossing in some hammers and pull-offs or sliding into notes can add a bit of interest for sure but you do need to have the pattern down first. Lots of choices and places to explore.

I have used Mark Hanson's books and DVDs and found them very useful.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-18-2019, 01:32 PM

Default Less chit-chat, more patterns :)

I'm also mostly playing patterns, and slowly getting to the point where I can leave out the pattern and drop in some of the melody. I'm usually self-accompanying so I save that for intros and bridges, with a walking bass here and there.

Girl from the North Country is nice, and pretty easy to learn. The Boxer is pretty easy too, mostly just a basic alternating bass Travis pick.

I love Jackson Browne's 'These Days', because you can basically sit on an Fmaj7, the prettiest chord on the guitar, for as long as you want. I learned it from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEi1dbra1U, plus watching Jackson Browne perform it on Youtube.

Josh Turner does a great lesson for 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' - lots of fun stuff, couple hammer-ons, walking bass, and instantly recognizable to everyone over 50. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNVYwE-KGkQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write