The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-06-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Check out the effects list. Loads of EQ options.
Will do. Thanks Jon.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:48 PM

Started with mine today. Good guitar models. Seems much better than the previous units I have owned (A2 and A3).

Lots of EQ options. I was surprised to to find a Boss equalizer, Fishman EQ and Baggs EQ. Effects seem to be good and most of the presets are solid. At least good base settings to give you a head start.

I found the user interface a little challenge in the begining, but after a short period, it was easy to figure out.

I don't use a Looper for live use, but it works great to adjust EQ if positioned pre EQ.

One of my favorite functions is the ability to use a bank of 10 in a series. In other words you set it to start at the beginning (say #10) of the bank and after 10 set points, it starts over at 10. Good for setting up different guitars in Each bank.

Each preset has the ability to set the level, which means you can adjust the output level for different guitars.

Also, the models have a gain setting for each, which means you can somewhat control the level/effect of the model.

Really liking it so far. Easy to reach good, natural sounding tones with each of my guitars.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the nice overview, Marty. I was also surprised and pleased to see the Boss GE-7 and the Venue DI among the available EQs on the EFX list.

Regarding the modeling, I'm encouraged that you feel the modeling is even better than the A3's models. I didn't use the A3's modeling much with my own guitars, but it was occasionally helpful with guitars at an open mic which I host. (The A3 modeling helped considerably with a certain aluminum-topped, thin-bodied Martin.) Now that I have a mag pickup in one of my guitars, I'm looking forward to discovering if the A1 Four's modeling will compliment the DiMarzio Black Angel in that guitar.

Thanks again for the encouraging observations.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:55 PM

Just ordered one of these from Sweetwater. It's on backorder, but they said it should be shipped out in a few days. Hope so.

I'm mainly looking to use this for the effects, and to a lesser extent for the modeling, as I use a Fishman Platinum Pro DI/EQ via XLR to front of house at church right now. I'm happy with the job the Fishman does.

Any reason why I couldn't run the Zoom A1 Four in the effects loop of the Fishman?

Martin Custom MMV
Taylor GS Mini
Paul Reed Smith CE24
Ibanez Performance PF-40
Ibanez Mandolin Electrified!
Lanikai Uke
Hagstrom Swede
Peavey Reactor
Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 AM

Default no balanced output

I just ordered one.. and then I discovered it has no balanced out (no DI..). Does this bother anyone, or it can be connected directly to a PA or a mixer or to a powered speaker without any problem? I know, I could use it connected to a DI and then to a mixer, but I'd have to carry two pedals, while I bought it for a simpler setup to use it live.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisciandro View Post
I just ordered one.. and then I discovered it has no balanced out (no DI..). Does this bother anyone, or it can be connected directly to a PA or a mixer or to a powered speaker without any problem? I know, I could use it connected to a DI and then to a mixer, but I'd have to carry two pedals, while I bought it for a simpler setup to use it live.
The output signal has been impedance buffered by the preamp's active electronics, so there will be no problem with sending the signal to one of the mixer's 1/4" inputs.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Speaking of mag pickups, there is an effect that is supposed to do something for either magnetic pickups or piezo. I can't hear any difference in either selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the nice overview, Marty. I was also surprised and pleased to see the Boss GE-7 and the Venue DI among the available EQs on the EFX list.

Regarding the modeling, I'm encouraged that you feel the modeling is even better than the A3's models. I didn't use the A3's modeling much with my own guitars, but it was occasionally helpful with guitars at an open mic which I host. (The A3 modeling helped considerably with a certain aluminum-topped, thin-bodied Martin.) Now that I have a mag pickup in one of my guitars, I'm looking forward to discovering if the A1 Four's modeling will compliment the DiMarzio Black Angel in that guitar.

Thanks again for the encouraging observations.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Speaking of mag pickups, there is an effect that is supposed to do something for either magnetic pickups or piezo. I can't hear any difference in either selection.
I hope its like the Zoom A3 in that I can simply choose a flat signal. I want to do the signal EQing myself, as opposed to using a one-size-fits-all EQ for a "typical" mag signal or a "typical" piezo signal. I've learned the hard way that various guitar/pickup combos can vary widely with respect to optimum EQ needs.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:40 AM

Yes you can do that. You can choose whatever effects you want and they include many different EQ peddles like the para DI or a Fishman one. There’s even a few graphic EQ’s

Quote:
I hope its like the Zoom A3 in that I can simply choose a flat signal. I want to do the signal EQing myself, as opposed to using a one-size-fits-all EQ for a "typical" mag signal or a "typical" piezo signal. I've learned the hard way that various guitar/pickup combos can vary widely with respect to optimum EQ needs.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:41 AM

Anyone know if there is a way through the software of deleting some of the beats you don’t intend to use?
Old 12-17-2019, 06:50 AM

Got my A1 Four yesterday. I suspect that I could spend the rest of my life investigating everything this preamp/EFX box can do.

I'm already convinced this box will improve on my live sound from the Black Angel mag. I'm currently stripping everything but the modeling and the EQ out the patches. (I'm saving the modeling/EQ patches in Bank 5, and I've turned off the "auto save" function so I won't end up destroying most of the factory presets.) I really don't need any extra ambiance in my situation, and I'm probably not competent enough with compression to program it for live performance. I expect that I'll eventually get around to experimenting with compression and verb, especially with direct recording.

My one disappointment is that I'll need to get into the Guitar Lab computer stuff to access the 000-28 model. That was my personal favorite model in the Zoom A3.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:04 AM

Yes it’s got a lot under the hood. Almost too much lol.

The guitar lab is easy. Just plug into the usb and get whatever extra effects you want. No biggie. I just wish there was a way to save favorite beats or to delete the ones you’ll never use.

Quote:
Got my A1 Four yesterday. I suspect that I could spend the rest of my life investigating everything this preamp/EFX box can do.

My one disappointment is that I'll need to get into the Guitar Lab computer stuff to access the 000-28 model. That was my personal favorite model in the Zoom A3.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:19 AM

An interesting side note is that one can use that Maa mic preamp to run a mic signal to a line input on a mixer (if one happens to be short on mic inputs). The Maa is limited by a 3v power supply, so you'll need a line input with plenty of available gain. It works fine with one of my SoloAmp's main 1/4" inputs, but the Aux In doesn't have enough available gain to do it justice.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:32 PM

Anyone have any experience using this MAA with a mic?
Old 12-17-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Anyone have any experience using this MAA with a mic?
As mentioned, I plugged it directly into one of my SoloAmp's 1/4" inputs today. It worked fine. The biggest problem that I had with it was getting the battery compartment open. It was also a pretty tight fit in the mic cable's XLR connector, but I managed.

I suspect it will an absolute gas experimenting with some of the A1 Four's horn EFX on the human voice.

Most of my experimenting today was done with four different pickups in three different guitars. Using the simulated Baggs Venue EQ alone, I was able to dial in an Anthem SL rig and a Lyric rig very nicely. I've long been able to dial in the Anthem SL rig, but I had no idea the Lyric could sound so good. I'm tempted to use it for direct recording.

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-18-2019 at 08:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification