The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-29-2019, 01:53 PM

Default Versatile!

I've never met a Yamaha i didn't like, and the SA503 TVL signature is my favorite. I believe Mr Troy Van Leeuwen (TVL) is some kind of 'Alternative Rock' musician and designed this guitar. MAPLE neck (...unusual for a 335 clone), 3 volumes, 1 master tone and any pickup configuration can be selected. You can extract, using the tone and volume knobs a million-and-one tones. These were inexpensive, made in Indonesia guitars but they have TONE!

Clean...

With gain...

And a quick run through the styles...

Now discontinued, however if you find one of these on Ebay, Reverb or similar, then I suggest you grab it. You grab it with BOTH hands!
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

Last edited by Sonics; 10-30-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Yup Yamaha is pretty consistent with good quality across all the lines of guitars they make in my experience. I've been doing repairs for 25 years now and always say the brand I least see in my shop is Yamaha.
Boy, that says a lot.!!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Yup Yamaha is pretty consistent with good quality across all the lines of guitars they make in my experience. I've been doing repairs for 25 years now and always say the brand I least see in my shop is Yamaha.
Boy, that says a lot.!!
Old 11-09-2019, 05:14 PM

My Revstar 502T is pretty amazing. I love it. The factory P90s are terrific. Also, my Weddington was in unplayable condition when I got it. The neck near the headstock was jacked. I got it to be playable though it looks like heck, and got a new bridge and put in a 3 way Tele switch in place of the factory 5 way switch. All that said, the Dimarzio pickups in it are killer. And the sustain is all one could ask for. The way the back of the neck block is cut is super comfortable.

I'll buy another Yamaha before I spend a dime on a F- or G-.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Agree with everything said. I owned the 611 at one point also. They’re truly fantastic guitars. The biggest issue I had was when reselling...they’re somewhat difficult to move on. At least in my experience.

For some reason the electric line doesn’t get the fanfare that their acoustic line gets. IMHO both are noteworthy.

Regardless, they’re well worth the money. IMHO used is the way to go (but I typically prefer that option anyway as I can retain more of my investment if moving on).

Let us know if you end up picking one up!
OP here for an update. I ordered a Yamaha pac112v from Sweetwater yesterday. I really liked the fact that I could look over pictures of 4 different guitars of my liking and choose the one to purchase by serial number. Pretty cool.

He said I'll have the guitar Wednesday. Here's the link to the guitar I bought.... I love the back of the neck. The grain looks like a topographic map. wink.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...rial=HPN043289
Old 11-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
OP here for an update. I ordered a Yamaha pac112v from Sweetwater yesterday. I really liked the fact that I could look over pictures of 4 different guitars of my liking and choose the one to purchase by serial number. Pretty cool.

He said I'll have the guitar Wednesday. Here's the link to the guitar I bought.... I love the back of the neck. The grain looks like a topographic map. wink.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...rial=HPN043289
Hope you enjoy it!
I suspect you will. The Yamaha electrics are really nice guitars for a very reasonable price.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 12-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I played a Yamaha Solid Body electric the other day at a GuitarCenter. I was impressed with the neck and I thought the guitar put out some good power. Poking around the net these guitars get rave reviews.

How do Yamaha solid body electrics rate on this forum here.??

I played the Pacifica model #PAC112J. $179. I have my eye on a PAC112V. $300.
I bought a Yamaha EG112 on CL, nice condition, my first guitar, rank beginner at 80yo (though I did play piano as a young boy). For $80 it came with a Fender Frontman Reverb amp. With youtube help, I adjusted the intonation and action height, but it wasn't bad as it came.

I presume the EG112 ("Electric Guitar"?) is an early model, before the Pacifica line, though it looks much the same. Anyone know?

Luckily, I have long slender fingers and no arthritis problems, but obviously still soft fingertips and still can't avoid adjacent-string muting when playing chords. They say that will come with time, I hope so.

Anyway, like most noobs nowadays, I enjoy all the expertise and friendliness on discussion groups, but I'm fully aware that learning the lingo and becoming a "youtube expert" will only take me so far. My favorite YT teachers are Justin and Jonathan Kehew, very patient and good explainers. Many of the others are surely also good, but presume a level of competence beyond the rank beginner stage.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard_k View Post
I bought a Yamaha EG112 on CL, nice condition, my first guitar, rank beginner at 80yo (though I did play piano as a young boy). For $80 it came with a Fender Frontman Reverb amp. With youtube help, I adjusted the intonation and action height, but it wasn't bad as it came.

I presume the EG112 ("Electric Guitar"?) is an early model, before the Pacifica line, though it looks much the same. Anyone know?

Luckily, I have long slender fingers and no arthritis problems, but obviously still soft fingertips and still can't avoid adjacent-string muting when playing chords. They say that will come with time, I hope so.

Anyway, like most noobs nowadays, I enjoy all the expertise and friendliness on discussion groups, but I'm fully aware that learning the lingo and becoming a "youtube expert" will only take me so far. My favorite YT teachers are Justin and Jonathan Kehew, very patient and good explainers. Many of the others are surely also good, but presume a level of competence beyond the rank beginner stage.
Nice reply.

About the muted string thing..... Always be aware of it and do your best to keep it all clean BUT.... also, ignore it and use the guitar as a drum. Allow your guitar to become a percussive instrument. Bang out a rythymn, strum in good time and allow the muted string to become part of your dynamic style. And hope that it cleans up over time. If not, use the muted tone in whatever way you can. Or avoid it all together.

And always play through your mistakes. Hope this helps. I often have a muted string when I play barre chords. It bugs me. I hate it. But, its not changing so I just deal with it. Or ignore it. Soft fatty fingers. I play clean when I flatpick single note melodies.

Last edited by 3notes; 12-23-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
About the muted string thing..... Always be aware of it and do your best to keep it all clean BUT.... also, ignore it and use the guitar as a drum. Allow your guitar to become a percussive instrument. Bang out a rythymn, strum in good time and allow the muted string to become part of your dynamic style. And hope that it cleans up over time. If not, use the muted tone in whatever way you can. Or avoid it all together.

And always play through your mistakes. Hope this helps. I often have a muted string when I play barre chords. It bugs me. I hate it. But, its not changing so I just deal with it. Or ignore it. Soft fatty fingers. I play clean when I flatpick single note melodies.
Thanks for the tips, 3notes. I'll work on it. Merry Christmas!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars