The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 AM

Default Help with Les Paul - advice

My young son, who has been wailing on his Les Paul Studio for couple years, has mention the clunky neck and how he wished Les Paul made a neck that was more like his strat or Tele—— I’m sure they do. For you Les Paul experts, which other would you guys recommend. I don’t want to break the bank—just something I can start looking for. He likes neck of his strat, tele.... and second favorite is the Ibanez (Van Halen version). Thanks in advance.

Jed
Old 01-20-2019, 09:01 AM

Not an expert by any means, but the classic neck is thinner, more modern profile than the studio. Also, the SG has a fairly thin neck. My SG is very close to, if not thinner than my tele or strat necks.
Fender American Special Telecaster
Fender Custom FMT HH Telecaster
Fender 50's Classic Stratocaster
Gibson SG Standard
Old 01-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The '60s taper neck is probably what you are looking for. Look for a Tribute with the '60's taper neck.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The '60s taper neck is probably what you are looking for. Look for a Tribute with the '60's taper neck.

Bob
+1. I have a few Les Pauls with a combination of '50s and '60s necks. I prefer the '60s. Further to Tele16's post, my SG Standard is even thinner and it feels great.

Basically, take your son out to play a bunch of Les Pauls with different neck profiles and see what he takes to. If he's a shredder, in addition to a thinner neck he may be looking for a flatter radius. If that's the case he may want one of the Les Paul clones, like an LTD, although they sound different.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
...For you Les Paul experts, which other would you guys recommend. I don’t want to break the bank—just something I can start looking for...
Quote:
Got your guitar right here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ive-satin-gold

I have the P-90 version from 2011 and it's my go-to solid - lightweight (some of them scale in around 7-1/2 pounds - at the upper end of SG territory), very versatile (think an LP can't do country or surf - think again...) - and if you add the "Rhythm/Treble" selector switch ring (available as an accessory) it'll look just like a sweet under-the-bed '57 that was put away when Elvis got out of the Army and hasn't been touched since...
Old 01-20-2019, 01:39 PM

I have two Epiphone Les Pauls that I bought used but in excellent shape. One is the "slim 60's" neck, the other the "fat 50". I like the 60's neck better. They are both Les Paul standards and are pretty nice. But if I had to have only one...it would be my Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:50 PM

Thanks guys. Got some research to do.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Got your guitar right here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ive-satin-gold

I have the P-90 version from 2011 and it's my go-to solid - lightweight (some of them scale in around 7-1/2 pounds - at the upper end of SG territory), very versatile (think an LP can't do country or surf - think again...) - and if you add the "Rhythm/Treble" selector switch ring (available as an accessory) it'll look just like a sweet under-the-bed '57 that was put away when Elvis got out of the Army and hasn't been touched since...
I too have the 2011 Gibson Les Paul Tribute with P-90s. Goldtop. Great guitar and it is lighter than my Standards. Plays and sounds wonderfully.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Bob
Bob and the others are spot on. Give one of these a try. I have this neck on my LPs and my 359.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars