The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 01:50 PM

Default Getting rid of moldy smell from vintage guitar?

I bought a '74 Yamaha FG-160 awhile back over the summer and noticed a smell when I got it. I thought it was a smoke smell so I have been letting it sit in an open space. I no longer think it is a smoke smell and is definitely a mold smell. I have cleaned the guitar restrung it with a good set of strings so it's definitely a player. The problem is after I play it it leaves a smell on my clothes to the point that I have to change clothes so people don't cough around me. Is there anyway to get rid of the bad smell? When I bought it I was told it was in great condition but I feel like it is kind of a major problem that it smells like mold.

Have you ever removed a moldy smell from a guitar? If so how?
Old 12-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Guest 33123

Search the forum for ozone generator.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 12-12-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:54 PM

Here's how I did it. Not scientific or high tech, but it worked

1) Remove strings

2) tape over the bridge holes

3) Dump about a cup of rice (UNCOOKED!) in the soundhole.

4) Dump about 1/2 cup of baking soda in the sound hole.

5) Tape over the soundhole (or put in a rubber feedback buster).

Shake the guitar all around, letting the rice and baking soda swish all around inside. Do this several times a day for about a week. While you're doing that, use a damp cloth with a little bit of dish detergent to wash the outside. It's probably not a bad idea to use naptha on it. I've used it lots of times to get weird funk off the body and neck.

After about a week of shaking it, take off the tape and soundhole cover and dump out the rice and baking soda. You might want to use a small vacuum hose and a damp cloth to remove the residue.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-12-2019, 02:59 PM

I used the rice/baking soda method Chris E. describes on my 1948 Stella and it worked really well. There was a good-sized dust bunny inside that I think was holding a lot of odor and the rice knocked it out. Tip: Do the shaking of the guitar outside in case the tape (I used blue painters) does not fully hold.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:07 PM

Just brought home a '92 Guild D55 with the same problem. No smells in the case or on the outside of the guitar, but inside the box it smells like - not mold exactly - but it reminds me of those green "chestnuts" we used to have have dangerous throwing wars with when I was a kid, if that helps; pungent, sharp, acrid...

So I'm in day 2 of the method Chris E recommended. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:58 PM

That's a good tip about shaking it outside. It goes without saying that when you're done, definitely dump the rice/baking soda mixture outside.

Since we're describing smells, my HD-28 smelled like a stack of wet newspapers that had been stored in someone's attic for about 50 years.
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-12-2019, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Go to the pet department at Walmart and get a bag of wood chips (used in pet cages). Put some inside guitar and in case. Close case for at least a week and the remove. If weather permits where you are, sunlight and fresh air (with wood chips in case and guitar) also helps the process. Don't overdue the guitar in the sun, especially if it's a very hot climate. COFFEE in a small Potpourri bag (found in arts and crafts section of your local department store) hangs nicely into the soundhole with any mess. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:46 PM

Walmart has an ozone generator (Della) for under 60.00 and you can also use it for your house.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Sounds good like that. Looking forward to hearing it w/o 2 pounds of rice inside.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Smell removal

If you use a Britta or a similar water system, you can start saving the charcoal from the cartridges and eventually you have a bunch saved up. You can use that instead of the rice.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 12-14-2019, 12:41 AM

Unused cheap Coffee grounds will work well too. Same set up as above.

We used coffee grounds to remove bad smells from used cars. Sprinkle a can of maxwell house all over the inside, close the windows, lock the doors, and let it sit in the sun for a few days. Vacuum out the coffee and it smelled a lot better. Yes it did have a coffee order for awhile, but who doesn't like the smell of coffee.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:35 AM

Nobody should use an ozone generator. From the EPA’s website:

When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts of ozone can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and, throat irritation. It may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma as well as compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners

I became aware of this years ago when I developed a breathing problem while using an air purifier that emitted ozone. They were banned in California.

More information:

http://www.airpurifierguide.org/faq/...o-ionic-breeze

Last edited by godfreydaniel; 12-14-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuttler View Post
..who doesn't like the smell of coffee.
Makes me puke!
Old 12-14-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydaniel View Post
Nobody should use an ozone generator. From the EPA’s website:

When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts of ozone can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and, throat irritation. It may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma as well as compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...d-air-cleaners

I became aware of this years ago when I developed a breathing problem while using an air purifier that emitted ozone. They were banned in California.

More information:

http://www.airpurifierguide.org/faq/...o-ionic-breeze
Don't be in the same room and hang around when it's on. The ozone doesn't last long once the device is off.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:24 AM

Default Getting rid of moldy smell from vintage guitar?

I just remembered one other tip (after you’ve done the rice/baking soda/coffee, etc method)— put a dryer sheet (Bounce) inside the guitar and keep it there. It keeps your guitar smelling as fresh as a mountain stream.
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion