The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-10-2019, 04:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Waterloo archtop

Aside from the action being too low on the treble side, this really sounds amazing in hands of someone who knows how to drive it.

Julian has an odd take on everything he does, but he can do it nonetheless.

HE
Old 12-10-2019, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

Hi Howard, thanks for this.
I'm trying not to be interested in the Waterloo archtops - despite becoming very fond of my Waterloo WL-12.

BTW - been reading your bio on your website. Similar ages, similar history (although I'm a Brit), and also left handed!
Old 12-10-2019, 05:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Howard, thanks for this.
I'm trying not to be interested in the Waterloo archtops - despite becoming very fond of my Waterloo WL-12.

BTW - been reading your bio on your website. Similar ages, similar history (although I'm a Brit), and also left handed!
Hi Andrew,
Yeah, we're both old.

When people ask me if I'm left handed I reply "No. I write with my left hand."

The Waterloo archtops really do have a strong attraction on all levels. Luckily I own a 1930 Gibson L-5, so I don't have to entertain the thought of another archtop purchase.

Regards,
Howard
Old 12-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Andrew,
Yeah, we're both old.

When people ask me if I'm left handed I reply "No. I write with my left hand."

The Waterloo archtops really do have a strong attraction on all levels. Luckily I own a 1930 Gibson L-5, so I don't have to entertain the thought of another archtop purchase.

Regards,
Howard
I'm glad your handwriting wasn't ruined like mine was - I had a beautiful left handed script before I started school - where they beat me for using my left hand - so now I write with y right hand but even I can't read it! (should have been a doctor!) I've got a '34 L-4 (with f-holes - '35 model)
Old 12-10-2019, 12:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I'm glad your handwriting wasn't ruined like mine was - I had a beautiful left handed script before I started school - where they beat me for using my left hand - so now I write with y right hand but even I can't read it! (should have been a doctor!) I've got a '34 L-4 (with f-holes - '35 model)
Andrew,
There weren’t any nuns in our Hebrew school, thankfully:-)

My condolences, truly.

Best,
Howard
Old 12-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I was just talking about that "conversion therapy" recently. My older brother went through same. Some "good old days" experiences are best left behind. Anyway, that's a topic for Open Mic, mebbe.

Back to the Waterloo...glad I'm undeserving enough to ignore its obvious charms.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:10 PM

Mr. Lage's formidable chops notwithstanding (do we call that style psycho-Manouche...?), when I consider that a mere $500 more gets me this all-handcarved beauty:

https://themusicemporium.com/new-arr...ntage-sunburst

- or this, if you're a fan of smaller-bodied archtops:

https://themusicemporium.com/guitars...herry-sunburst

- I personally find it hard to justify the asking price for a plain-jane, flat-back, latter-day rendition of an entry-level '30s instrument, regardless of who made it...
Old 12-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Mr. Lage's formidable chops notwithstanding (do we call that style psycho-Manouche...?), when I consider that a mere $500 more gets me this all-handcarved beauty:

https://themusicemporium.com/new-arr...ntage-sunburst

- or this, if you're a fan of smaller-bodied archtops:

https://themusicemporium.com/guitars...herry-sunburst

- I personally find it hard to justify the asking price for a plain-jane, flat-back, latter-day rendition of an entry-level '30s instrument, regardless of who made it...
Campellones are awesome in the bang for the buck category, but $500? Look again.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Campellones are awesome in the bang for the buck category, but $500? Look again...
The Waterloo sells for $4500...

The Campellone Standards sell brand-new for $4995 each, according to the website...

When I was in school (long before the days of Common Core Math), we learned that $4995 - $4500 = $495 - $5 short of $500, and close enough to use the $500 figure as a valid difference estimate...

Peace out...
Old 12-12-2019, 06:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The Waterloo sells for $4500...

The Campellone Standards sell brand-new for $4995 each, according to the website...

When I was in school (long before the days of Common Core Math), we learned that $4995 - $4500 = $495 - $5 short of $500, and close enough to use the $500 figure as a valid difference estimate...

Peace out...
Hey Steve,
Perfect logic.

In other news......Did you ever work out 'Deep Purple' by Nino Tempo & April Stevens?

Have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy New Year!

Howard
Old 12-12-2019, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Andrew,
There weren’t any nuns in our Hebrew school, thankfully:-)

My condolences, truly.

Best,
Howard
The bitter irony was that my first Prep school, wasn't connected to any religion - just the notion that being left handed was "wrong."
Once I managed to convince my parents they took me away from the school and sued them. They lost! That was how it was in 1953.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
The bitter irony was that my first Prep school, wasn't connected to any religion - just the notion that being left handed was "wrong."
Once I managed to convince my parents they took me away from the school and sued them. They lost! That was how it was in 1953.
OUCH!!!

That is bitter beyond belief.

I would resubmit that suit retroactively. There's got to be some malady you're suffering from that can be tied to coerced dexterity reassignment.

Howard
Old 12-14-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
That was how it was in 1953.
..., and the 1960s and even in the last decade in the US. I hear about teachers supposedly still pushing right-handedness in some parts of the country. I had to sit on my left hand in Kindergarten, so I know the drill.

I didn't go to court over it, but I did get an arch top guitar. Don't know how to put a picture in the post, but here is a link to one picture of this new toy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V5ncoRe1BAFNaXwR7

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-15-2019, 07:55 AM

Looks like an Emerald Kestral. Wondering how you like the acoustic sound?
Old 12-15-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
Looks like an Emerald Kestral. Wondering how you like the acoustic sound?
It shines in two ways so far that I have found acoustically.

For chunka chucka with a pick or finger strumming, it can cut through loud and clear keeping the rhythm loud and clear as needed. No amp needed. It's has a tangy almost harsh sound that is perfect for keeping time in a group.

I think I like it more for finger style (think Wes Montgomery sounds, but acoustic only). I have been fiddling around with various tunes and chords of a few jazz standards. It has full and beautiful tones with either delicate picking or finger style, and I have been playing whatever tunes come to mind. I would have to amp it if I was playing like this on a stage, but for doodling on the couch it's awesome.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops